ACHIEVEMENTS........... the real ones,........ [SUGGESTION]...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriftMachine, Sep 2, 2015.

1. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I need some goals or more reasons to want to play this game. I have been holding off playing because I figure at some point the achievements will roll out, and I will have to start over. I am pretty sure I am not the only one. I feel this would bring some more players to the game.

Achievement list.
    Win an offline race
    Win an offline championship.
    Lap an ai opponant

Be 1st in a leaderboard challenge.
    This should go on infinity to promote more online racing.
    Winning an online race.
    Winning your 3rd consecutive race.
    Winning your 5th consecutive race.
    Winning your 10th consecutive race.
    Winning your 20th consecutive race.
    Winning your 30th consecutive race.
    Winning your 40th consecutive race.
    Winning your 50th consecutive race.
    Winning your 100th consecutive race.

The same could be just for winning the race without the consecutive part. This should go on to infinity.
    Winning your 3rd race
    Winning your 5th race.
    Winning your 10th race.
    Winning your 20th race.
    Winning your 30th race.
    Winning your 40th race.
    Winning your 50th race.

Crash, but still go on to win.
    Lap an online competitor.

Back of the pack. Be last at one point in the race, but still end in first.

This should just go on infinitely to help encourage clean racing.
    Clean laps
    1st clean lap
    3rd clean lap
    5th Clean lap
    10th Clean lap
    20th Clean lap
    50th Clean lap
    100 clean laps
    200 Clean laps
    500 Clean laps

Achievements in ADAC, DTM and WTCC based on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place standing in each tracks for that year with matching car right off the real race time stats.

Just a few ideas for achievements that encourage clean racing, and are not total bs like some other games achievements.

The purpose of the achievements is to appeal to an untapped market of achievement collectors. Also achievements promote purchasing more content. This results in getting more people to play the game and support its development.

I feel using more realistic achievements also promotes good driving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    It is not Granturismo

• Like Like x 1
  3. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    The point of this program is to draw more customers, and promote clean racing.
    I have over $200 invested into this game and would hate to see it die.
    I have watched a lot of games die that I liked. This is an effort to keep this game going.

• Like Like x 2
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind might be fun provided doesn't take too much effort to implement.
    but i don't think it will promote anything.

5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a fan of "achievements" and have never understood what they add to a game and why they're considered an reward in themselves. But some system which monitors races and records the kind of data DriftMachine is suggesting is a sensible idea if those data were used to reward well behaved players. Maybe borrow some ideas from iRacing here and allow server owners to restrict races to players with certain behaviour levels or something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I don't see where a set of achievements would really hurt anything to be honest. It very well might bring a few more folks in and quite a number of the racing sims/games have them now (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, rFactor, etc). It doesn't make much difference to me either way but I can't imagine they're as easy to implement into games as one might think.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    r3e already collects data about laps and stuff i don't think they'd are too complicated.

8. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    I understand that, the way i prefer is 10 good riders than 10000 children in a park :):cool:

9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Make way for the pedantic German accountant! :D

All of those (consecutive wins etc.) would have be built with care, so they can't be exploited (f.e. someone sets up a locked dedi server and just finishes races on his own) but this could be done I think.

As I assume we're talking about Steam achievments, does anybody know if it costs something to have those?

I think there's more important coding work to be done, for now.

10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Who knows Christian? I can't imagine Steam gives anything away for free to developers. I know for PS3, 360, XBONE, and PS4, achievements/trophies are required.

11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    but who cares if they are exploited its really for personal gratification. tell me have you ever looked at another users achievements on steam and actually a s***;).

• Like Like x 1
  12. G.Deurwaerder

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    As I assume we're talking about Steam achievments ???

No we'er talking about RR to have more riders !!!!! :p

13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I always shivered in reverence when I saw someone had unlocked all achievements in AC. :p
    People who care about this sort of stuff would care about exploits, and come moaning if it could be tricked.
    And if any sort of rating system would be based on those figures, it would actually matter.

Well there are games that have in-game achievements and there are achievments for games collected in steam.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. DriftMachine

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    The point is to get more people active in the game.

Right now those achievement collecter have been spending their time in P-cars and Assetto corsa. I am sure someone could figure a way to exploit then, but the point is they are in the game. Who who cares what they do as long as they are playing. If the achievements are ones that promote clean racing then at least they wont be crashing others.

15. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Only on friends on PSN, I like to see them doing well :)

16. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, I do know folks on the PC side that won't play a game on Steam unless it has achievements. They're the same folks that wouldn't play games on the PS3 until they added trophies, etc

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Weirdos

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Achievements.....yeah why not. Just a bit of fun and if you're not interested then simply ignore. I'm ambivalent toward achievements to be honest but if it adds some purpose to a game that doesn't have any structure (i.e. a career mode - not that I care), then go for it. I agree that there are bigger fish to fry at the moment, but in the future, maybe worth considering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Someone is just showing their age, achievements are a young man/ladies sport driven by the likes of the consoles, something added to detract from what's lacking. Looks like the biggest problem is this sims/games lack of identity, will it go the way of the sim (bloody hope so) or down the pan, ahem I mean the Forza/Gran Turismo route.

20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I for myself don't care about steam achievements in a racing sim, but if some people have fun to "grind" for it ..... why not. People which are aiming for achievement completion can "feed their desires" and the other ones can just ignore it. Win-win-situation.

It can't hurt to attract more people to R3E, even with stuff most simracers aren't usually interested in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2