ACHIEVEMENTS........... the real ones,........ [SUGGESTION]...........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriftMachine, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    No offense, but I hardly think adding a few achievements in will turn R3E into Super Mario Kart nor do I feel that achievements are added to detract what's lacking in most cases. @Ernie is right, it can't hurt to add something in that will attract a few more folks.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    My 2cts:

Collecting Achievement (in most game) is mostly a single player / offline thing.
    People who are looking for MP gaming are not (I think) dedicated to achievement collection...Winning races, winning a league, etc are the achievement of the online player.

The "issue" today for R3E is the lack of player online... And I don't think you'll grow the number by attracting player with something that's mostly single player oriented.
    By the game of number you may have a little % that will come to the MP mode, but not all players that are interested to collecting achievement will, for sure. They will collect what they can... and then go to another game to collecte new things.

What the MP of R3E need is engagement : Ranking, leagues, community ...
    Something as simple as a good chat room in the race lobby can have more positive effect for the MP of the game that achievement.

For acheivement idea itself : why not, I've nothing to complain about this as long as it doesn't screw the game :p It can't hurt anybody.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Same for me... If it is easy to implement, why not. I don't need achievements but I know that there are people out there, who likes them and some of them are only playing games to collect those achievements

Some Achievements could be continuously added around new Content - for e.g. Winning on Track "Spa" or Winning a "WTCC14" MP-Race and Winning a "WTCC14" SP-Race

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Achievements?Why not...I will even go one step further and tie them to a scenario mode recreating situations from the real series.Example podium with Borkovic in Suzuka,Chilton winning,Audi championship race in Hockenheim,Farfus changing history in Red Bull Ring 2013 etc.But that s something to consider latter down the road when everything in Sp and Mp is laid down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    1st of all I ask myself if it is about attracting ANYONE or about THE RIGHT ONES...I'm at an age where "achievements" for me are just some bait /kindergarten stuff - I really don't care if I'm a "pilar of the community" or have collected some worthless fancy pics, stickers, badges, wallpapers via Steam (Lord) - tbh. games loaded with such "perls of glass" go on my nerves (Ubisoft for example) DIRT Rally lately too - great Rallygame but now they also started to give short notes of "advice" when loading a race - talking to me in a pseudo-cool language as If I'm a twelve-year old nerd/Buffy Fan :D - totally inappropriate ...and looking at younger RRE simracers like @Moritz Löhner for example I haevily doubt, he came to RRE because of some fancy colored stuff :)
    2nd I ask myself how the S3 Staff thinks about - of course every new customer is welcome - but it doesn't seem to me they are in a hurry or under stress with this...all in all I don't know about the buisness structure between S3 , Race Room and their partners (inkl. DTM for example) so as long the game is running it is running - rest is about our dedication...(as someone said)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  6. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Count me as another "it has no place and I don't see the appeal, but they don't offend me if someone wants to collect them" vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Can live with that too, hardly, but I can :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Looking at steam charts, we not only need more people to MP but to R3E as a whole.
    Eventually the SP guys might be interested to try out the MP and like it.

I'm mostly a SP guy myself because of limited time in one session without family/life comes between..
    But I would really like improvements to the MP as well, cause when I do have time I love it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You, me, us, as players, don't need that others play in SP mode. By definition, nothing will change for you/me/us if there's 2 other players or 10 000 (yep, maybe some server overload due to the online requirement of the game) at a time.

Sector3 and Raceroom AG may need them, because it's their business. but as nobody here have the true numbers about this business we can only speculate. And at this time nothing seems to figure that they doing bad.

10. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they could offer a Livery per class for X amount of online laps or races completed. I think I'd play online more with some incentive like that.

11. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    You don't think anything will change for us if there are more single player mode players? It puts money into S3S/RRE coffers which allows them to develop more series, work on the mechanics of the game, etc. I'd love for about a million more players to pop in and spend some money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0

This:

13. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

I'm really not sure you'll have this 1:1 relation.

What S3S do today is already amazing and far behind what other studios do with much more money. Having more player doesn't always translate to having more power to develop the game and more good thing for the players. It add a lot of constraint that can cause bad things for the players, such as server overload etc..
    A million more players pop in today will only cause that you'll not be able to play the game at all since they'll be able to invest and power up better infra to host these new players :p

Look how iracing evolve: there's much more player in iracing, they all pay to play (even if they don't play by the way). I don't see more game content than here. I don't see the game evolving quicker.
    Look to Asseto: much more player according to Steam chart, but still the some developers behind and not more developing force.
    Look what SMS did for Pcars, they are a much bigger team with much more money and the game is still full of bugs month after release.

For WE, as player to have a real feedback (in the game) of a big player number increase it could take years because S3S is already in a good wave today.
    We only need them to stay and keep as they do... And as I said: as we don't have their financial number we can only speculate, and nothing tell that they don't have the money to keep up.

14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'll agree with you to a point, but to me, more people spending money means more money being put into the development of the game (at least in my opinion). I've said it before and I'll say it again, the S3S crew is the hardest working folks in show business. They've done far more and a far better job than other studios with hundreds of employees.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Imagine what S3S could achieve with that kind of money or resources in term of people working on content and features!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    More money doesn't necessary mean more people and more resources.
    They can have financial debts to pay before anything :p
    And as stated many time before: S3S is only the devs, they work for Raceroom AG and all the money goes into Raceroom AG pocket.. and nobody knows what could Raceroom AG do with more money. They may not use it to invest in S3S or in the game... because it's not they primary business.

But don't take me wrong, as you I'd like to see more players in the game .. of course I do. And I'd love to see it benefit to the game. But at this day and age, things are more complicate than a simple: more players = better game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Quality not quantity! ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. bakayoyo

bakayoyo Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I'm not a big fan of achievements myself on Steam. I do like them a lot on Playstation, but grinding achievement or trophies are never really fun. So achievements for running x amount of laps or wins, irrespective of the racing series doesn't really feel like a worthwhile addition to me.

On the other hand, the experience packs seem a much better fit. There could be achievements for winning a race, a season, with a particular team. Beating a rival team/car with a weaker team/car etc, it's much easier to come up with more interesting goals. Plus you know that someone who owns an experience has a certain number of cars and tracks that you can base achievements on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Not all of us are young. I am 36. I know of several people wont play a game because it don't have achievements. None of them younger than 30. I have not owned a console since 1995 the Sega Genesis. I don't think this hurts the sim in anyway. It gives people goals to accomplish, and maybe more people to spend more time in the game. .

20. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    As I stated before i think this is really a question of how much work will it take to implement because if they can use the stats they already collect whats the harm.

please correct me if you think it will have a downside. (the debate went on about money and too many players and i don't think achievements will be such a hit they will cause a lot of ether of those)

I do personally enjoy some achievements it can often give me a idea for a race and id like to see car/track achievements as well as over all ones eg complete 50 laps of sazuka.