Added Simvibe - low budget info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElNino, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  2. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I see your point about all channels through the front. I'll use Chassis mode and run one channel to the front or rear for now. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    @Cuba If you use the 5.1 outputs from sound card, yes you can split one of the outputs since each output carries two channels. Its the same concept as using a single stereo connector for 2 channels normally, but just sending one side of the lead to a different amp (or channel on an amp)
    The channels are hard assigned by simvibe so youll have to use the ones they assign for each effect.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I just looked at some screenshots and noticed that the channels are hard assigned and that even in Extension mode, both the front (green) and rear (black) ports are used. Question: These pre assigned channels are only to indicate location, right? So I can still channel whatever sounds I want regardless of what it's labeled. e.g, I can run engine, wind noise etc. through the "shifter" channel if I want; you aren't limited on sound fx base on Simvibe labeling? I'm actually buying simvibe tonight, so I'll play around with it :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Nope unfortunately they are hard assigned to the effect im pretty sure...at least in chassis mode. The reason being they wanted to make setup files shareable and work the same on other peoples setups...so id assume same reasoning for extension but could be wrong. I run chassis.

6. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Got it. Makes sense or else they may have well just named them Shaker 1, 2, 3 etc. I have a 5.1 card so I'll play around with it. Either way, I have an idea. BTW, I'm checking out the amp that you mentioned in the OP, should be here in a couple days. I'm going to run one Aura through it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Cool yeah both amps have been absolutely fine so far...plenty of juice to get things vibrating and no excessive heat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cuba

Cuba Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Got the amp in and just realized I only ordered one Aura. Since this is a 2 channel amp, do you think it'll be a problem running with only one shaker at the moment?

9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Nope not at all, other than knowing you have a whole channel of power on amp not being used! I did the same with those tiny dayton pucks, thought i ordered two but actually only got one..hence mono up front!

10. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Sound blaster audigy FX

Its cheap, manuals and drivers are not in chinese, and it will just work.

For purposes of simvibe it seems wasteful to me to even consider a high end card, but i could be overlooking some aspect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    So i remounted the back larger drivers so i could turn them up more without them clipping (presumably against chassis). You can see in the poorly lit photo they are now spaced about 1cm off the chassis and work much better this way. The spacers i had in my parts bin, no idea where from..probably an old bed or something. Still using tapping screws to mount to the chassis.

I also added a second dayton minipuck to the front for $20, so now have all 4 corners! I was still waiting for the shoegoo to fully cure last night so could not turn them up, but promising so far. I had to move the one puck i already had because it was centered in the front before, and the shoegoo came off easily and with zero damage to the g27 pedal base or puck.

Setup is basically complete now as far as simvibe goes, these four small drivers and 2 small amps provide more than enough sensation. I mounted a 120v flip switch in the cabin to turn the amps on/off so i can just flip that switch to compare with/ without simvibe...also just looks cool and makes it easy to turn on/off both amps.

I absolutely love simvibe with this setup...its an entire extra dimension of realism

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1