Adding subtle camera shake in replay onboard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbtm, Aug 17, 2018.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I just fiddled around with the camera XML settings and found adding some subtle camera shake to the onboard views makes it look a bit more realistic.

I edited the onboard_1.xml and onboard_2.xml files in the camera folder and changed this line:

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

to

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{100.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

this gives a small up and down shake. You can lower the number to get it more shaky. You can also go higher for even less shaking.

Around 90 or 80 it's cool for me too, but down like 50 it's too exaggerated for my taste.

Batch editing done with Notepad+ in 3 seconds :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I would say, that you could play with other numbers too. I guess it's XYZ values, so first one is up/down, second left/right and last one should be forward/backward, but for me it doesn't seem work.

Tried R18 so far and for now I like {100.00000000 250.00000000 0.00000000}, but I'd guess those number might vary for each car

• Like Like x 2
  3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    yes, I had the Y (yaw left and right) first in too but i didn't want it to shake left and right so I put it to zero again. maybe I could try a high number again.
    The third number is for camera rolling left and right. (so when you have it at like 10 and your car gets on two wheels the camera is still lined with the horizon, which looks odd.. I usually have this number very high in cockpit view (VR) to avoid too much roll)

4. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I was wondering which file and setting to tweak to get this effect! Often it's the main difference in the Raceroom Vs Real life videos, as the real camera has some shake to it.

5. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Can you describe the process to do a batch edit in notepad +? I looked briefly, but didn't see any options for it. :confused:

I like the added shake, but is there any way to adjust the speed of the camera shake, so there could be high-speed vibrations from curbs etc.? Right now it's a seems like a lightly dampened movement.

Also note, if you have triple screens you need to update the onboard_1_triple.xml, onboard_2_triple.xml files (I originally did a search for onboard_1.xml and editing it wasn't changing anything, so I went in the folder manually and saw the Triple files to edit.

6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I can do a tutorial when I'm home again in about 8 hours. It's an option called "Replace..." or sth similar (I use German language in NP+). There you can define the folder (cars, subfolders included), the file (onboard XML file), the original code line and the new line that should replace the original code.
    Maybe you already made it before I get home :-D

About the high speed rumble: I searched for a parameter that defines the speed but didn't find one yet, but maybe it's there just to be discovered.

And yeah, for triple screen you have to do all changes in the triple.xml files.
    And don't forget to save a copy of the edited (and original) file somewhere on your computer since the edited files will be overwritten when you make a steam file integrity check.

7. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I downloaded Notepad ++, found the replace function, and got it sorted. Thanks!... I was using a different notepad + (I tried the one in the Windows Store) and it was obviously the wrong one since it had no options or extra functions at all.