Admin Tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MRaabe, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MRaabe

MRaabe Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi everybody,

i know there already have been threads about this topic, but they are pretty old, and i wanted to make sure this topic gets the attention it needs.

TLDR: We need admin tools for the dedicated server.... asap.

We at RRVGT are hosting (or better "were hosting") one of the most visited public server in Raceroom, the "RRVGT.de / VLN 4h Training".
    This server was almost always at the top of the list. There was almost no time at day where you connected to this server where less than 10 players were on, often the server was completely full. People really like this server (not sure why though, it's basically a 4 hour qualifying session, so nothing THAT special).

I had issues with this public server in the past, like players crashing other players on purpose, yelling in the chat, writing intolerable stuff, and much more. We also had one player, who kept changing his ingame-name to match other players, so that his misbehavior came back to honorable players..

Like most of you know, there is nothing i could do about it, there are no admin tools of any kind in Raceroom; i can't give warnings, i can't kick, i can't ban, i can't do anything.

So today, there was a player who's ingame-name showed right-wing extremist tendencies, writing right-wing extremist stuff in the chat. This is where the line is crossed for me. I shut the whole server down, set a password on it, brought it back online and published the password in our internal forums, accessible only for our registered members. Also, this was not the first time this right-wing extremist BS happened.

Putting a password on all public servers can't be the solution, it's bad for us at RRVGT, and first and foremost, it's a big issue for S3. I know some (or all?) people at S3 don't see it this way (i already got told "put a password on it" several times), but i will try to explain why this is an issue in my opinion.

When a new player downloads the game, he will most probably do some first laps in singleplayer to get familiar with the game itself. The next step (if this player is interested in doing multiplayer) will be to hop into a public lobby. He won't directly join a community to race with them on their closed servers, first thing will be the public lobbies, to get a feel for the multiplayer. In this public servers, he will be confronted with the things i stated above, players crashing him on purpose, yelling BS in the chat, wearing inappropriate names. The player will now search a closed community (that's the good end for S3), or will have a bad enough first look to never come back to the game (and that really should be an issue for S3).

We really need admin-tools to administrate these servers. I really like having public servers, it's where you meet new people, it's where you can have lots of fun races when no league races are on. But we really can't continue this way. We server admins need the possibility to kick and ban players, for the above stated reasons.
    And to be honest, a multiplayer game in 2018 should have these tools, it's nothing we should have to discuss about, it's mandatory.

At RRVGT, we will stop hosting public servers until these problems are solved, at least not as long as i have a voice to call a veto, and believe me, i am really sorry about that. It almost breaks my heart to close down one of the most visited servers in this game, because i really like this game =(

Please S3, do something about this... give us admins the tools we need to host great servers in your game.

Best Regards
    Malte Raabe / RRVGT Admin

P.S.: when you are at it, a chat-windows that deserves the name would also be great ;)

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but i can do one agree instead a 1000 of some like that
    :)

3. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    It would really be great to see that esports events and content is not the only thing you are working on.
    We love this sim. Give us some goodies on the feature side aswell from time to time :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Explains the shut down earlier, saw the message you were shutting it down but didnt know why.
    Agreed with the server comments, always good performance, 0 lag, always people on it, then its getting spoiled for the majority by the minority. Shame, really enjoyed going on to it for some hotlap fun ;)

Can you not link him back to steam and complain to them about racist right wing stuff, im sure they get a temp ban, maybe even permanent, dont quote me on it but im sure theres a way.

As for the tools and proper chat box, idk, as an evolution of the race series its kinda embarassing if you ask me, that game had a good\decent\okish chat system, with plenty good enuf server control, voting system, admin control the whole lot, why it wasnt or hasnt been coded into this game is unbeleivable, the code is there, copy and paste pretty much.

Im sorry for you, that particular server is always the first server i look for, be a shame to lose it because of some knuckle dragger, maybe use it as a honey pot and get the halfwit banned ? ;)

Good luck in your quest for tools, but i wouldnt hold my breath if i was you............

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    So sad to read that...:eek:
    That particular server was always on my favorite "Top List"...
    While there was some wreckers, from time to time, I've spent some great racing time on it....
    Hope to see you back soon :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I cannot agree more. RaceRoom need this tool a lot.
    Also please make possible to do atleast some basic changes on the fly, without need to shutting down whole dedicated server which of course disconnect everybody from the server.
    Voting for skip/restart sessions would be also great.
    This inoperability which is now in RR dedicated servers is quite frustrating.

OT: Any chance to make possibility to send car setups between players on server? Without "manual" fiddling in folders and copying files there.:yum:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Go on, go on please
    You've good ideas

8. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Those are not really "new" ideas as it works for years in other sims. :D Just RR is missing a lot of basic functions...:confused:
    Even old games like Live for speed is having all this things mentioned in my post. And much more. I just mentioned few basic and in my opinion most needed things. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, we have a list of things that will improve the dedicated server that are being worked on at the moment.
    Totally with you on this one.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. Viggdred

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    At RRVGT, we will stop hosting public servers until these problems are solved, at least not as long as i have a voice to call a veto, and believe me, i am really sorry about that. It almost breaks my heart to close down one of the most visited servers in this game, because i really like this game =(
    :(:eek:

11. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    So sad...

Totally agree with Malte there, having a high rated public Server, you attract more of the bad guys also.
    Wreckers/Crashers/Spammers dont connect to empty Servers.
    You cant even report them to Steam, as the Dedicated Server does not log steam account of players in any kind.
    It only logs the Player Name of the connected Driver, and that is Profile bound to Raceroom not to Steam.
    So until you get Steam_ID logged or get IP logged, you cant do anything.

Good point: The CPU usage on the Machine is lower now for 95% of the Day!
    Hurray? So sad...

Back to Singleplayer AI training for full grid on NOS then.
    That particular Server has always been the one, where i kidnapped most ppl from and introduced them to the RRVGT.de community.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom is so frustrating. The game it self is really good but everything around it is so bad. 100% agree.
    And here, take this one too. You could limit the incident points in the game, it exists, it works. But you can't . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Viggdred

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Are French drivers allowed in your Forum ???
    If so, maybe I'll Join ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gianni Nicosia

Gianni Nicosia Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yes, of course ;) (bien sur)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Agree admin tools are needed sooner than later :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Just a lovely bump to bring it back to Focus!

17. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Possibility to set a time at which the server will be visible and also start.
    Even if no one is in the server yet

18. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    additionally to the already named, these are my personal wishes for feature enhancements on the server:

• Skip to next session
    • Live Timing per Api call
    • Manual starting grid
    • Weight penalties for DTM and GT Masters
    • Join after disconnect for race 2
    • Driver SteamId in logfile which is also used for black and whitelisting
    • Manual start with possibility of jumpstart
    • Rolling start

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Please make an SPECDATE mode, so when I retire from race, I dont need to spend that time looking at the menu, but I can atleast watch and enjoy race as specdator without leaving a server. And I can join to 2nd race for example.

I know I can enable "specdator" mode through startup parameter, but it came to me very uncomfortable and you always need to restart whole game.

• Like Like x 3