Aftermarket rims, anyone can offer help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .OG Isaac, Jan 7, 2016.

1. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Hey folk,

I got a G27 but I like F1-style wheels (formula raceroom got me hooked, yo). A wheel with a cut top and flat bottom, or both flat like the racing wheels you see in DTM, F1 etc are really amazing to me.

I found one from a website I can trust, but I could buy a T300 for this ridiculous price.

Do anyone of you know a thrustworthy source for an aftermarket G27 wheel? (The flat or cut designs, preferably.. They're amazing! But any other rim would be worth taking a look at)

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I was kinda looking for more detail, i've been searching things like that for a couple of hours. Can't really find anything not insanely overpriced like the one I linked.

4. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Most is from the area when there weren't any F1 wheels for sail, like we now have with Thrustmaster and Fanatec.

5. Glen Kabis

Glen Kabis Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +199 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of companies that sell an adapter for a G27 so you can mount a custom wheel to it. They're all kind of expensive once you add up all the costs of everything plus not having the use of your original wheel with buttons anymore.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/wheel-adapters.html
    http://www.ricmotech.com/Steering_Wheel_Adapter_for_Logitech_Wheels_p/rmt-lg27-wa.htm
    http://simracinghardware.com/product/logitech-g25-g27-wheel-adapter/

Or you can always just get a hacksaw and modify the stock G27 one to make it look like a formula rim =P

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  6. .OG Isaac

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Well I have cad software, so I think i'm going to spend some time on modelling an adapter, get it CNC'd for some and get a wheel somewhere. :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I have the adapter and all, but does anyone have any ideas on a cheap formula style aftermarket wheel without buttons or anything? Omp has some nice ones, but they're expensive..

8. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use a DSD adapter plus his 6 button controller to modify my G27 . Also noticed a open top-flat bottom rim on this site. you mite have seen it.

9. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  10. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
  11. Chmul Khom

Chmul Khom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I build (work in progress) me a cool looking RIM for the upcoming Bentley Continental GT3 . Base for the RIM is the designated steering wheel. The steering wheel is very light (PU), and thus a strong FFB is possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Looks great. What did the inside of the rim look like when you cut it? Just cut it and painted the ends red?

13. Chmul Khom

Chmul Khom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    PU and a tiny aluminum profile...
    The PU coat I cut with a cutter. I cut with a hacksaw, the aluminum profile. The two ends I sealed with red nail polish... finished. ;)

14. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice Work. I'm thinking about doing something similar w/ a 280mm wheel.

15. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Got myself a formula steering wheel today. Not entirely happy, but it works just like it's supposed to.
    20160210_203654 (Large).jpg
    The cheap Chinese "Sparco" wheel. I cut the top off it and replaced the buttons with some more attractive ones.

I made the simplest button wiring for the G27, ever. But it actually works very well, and it's much less hassle than trying to make some arrangements inside the steering hub. With some hot glue and a couple of cable ties, the wiring is completely out of sight.
    20160210_204206 (Large).jpg 20160210_204032 (Large).jpg
    I also mounted the wheels on cheap quick release hubs, but they are so rattling and cheap that it didn't work very well. And the "real" ones are too expensive to justify bying two of them. At least for me. When using quick release hubs, it was fully possible to stuff the wiring into the hub without much hassle. But connecting it when changing wheels was a pain, so for me it was best to just leave the wiring on the outside in any case. Keeping it as simple as possible is often the best.

So I'll just be unscrewing the six bolts whenever I feel the urge to change wheels. Doesn't take too long. And it turns out driving with a formula wheel really isn't my cup of tea anyway... But at least now I have to opportunity to do so. Perhaps I'll get myself a really nice wooden wheel with chromed spokes, for classic racing. That's more my style. :)

On top of it all, the Chinese wheel is *extremely* light, so it brought back all the jerkiness of the original G27 wheel, perhaps even more. With the slightly larger, much heavier OMP wheel, FFB is all smooth and nice. And the wheel feels much better to hold, the "Sparco" feels really, really cheap.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  16. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Really nice wiring work on the buttons and the wheel looks sweet blk'd-out. Ready for dtm2015…Yeah!

Quik-Release cost was a 'deal-breakr' for me to, so I chose to move the buttons to a (dsd) button-plate attached to a (dsd) wheel adapter. That way I can swap my gt and f1 rims by six screws and a profile change. Not @ home to post pics but u-get-da-picture.

DTM 92, Touring Classics, and M1 Procar get my vote for 'classic racing' especially w/ a 'massive physics update' to the rest of the older cars.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  17. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Did you ever try any of the quick release hubs?

Added some heat shrink tubing to tidy it up even more:
    20160214_213106 (Large).jpg
    The only problem now is that the wheel comes too close to the paddles. My OMP wheel has some offset and works perfectly, but the formula wheel is completely flat, so I'll have to add a 1/2" spacer to be comfortable.

I went bananas and bought a REALLY classic wheel as well:
    20160214_213038 (Large).jpg
    A Lotus-emblem is on its way and will sure fit nicely in the centre. :) And the best thing - this wheel doesn't need any buttons. It would just be wrong.

It feels excactly right driving the Lotus 49 with this wheel, even though it's a bit heavy and 350 mm and thus thwarts much of the FFB. But it's still nice. Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but I really like the "feel" that different equipment has.

18. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Quick -Release? I did the AccuForce Pro SX . then I tried making my own, but it was 'boo-boo' . The Pro SX worked until it didn't. I bent the pins and they no longer lined up. Plus, it combined w/ the dsd adapter to add too much offset.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/nitroxukimport?_dmd=2&_nkw=d1+spec+quick+release
    This is compact, lite-weight and I can afford to buy two.

http://www.zenky-racing.net/collections/frontpage/quick-release
    same here.

http://beyondmonkey.com/pub/q1r/q1r.html
    Q1R is just 'Cool'.

Heat Shrink is so over-looked by a lot of DIY guys.

This is the next item on my list… the 300mm size really does scream 'GT3' for me.
    [​IMG]

"Feel" is what it's all about man… (Sim-Feel) of course. the real challenge is finding the right combination of Site-Sound-Feel or Track-Car-Tune and for me just getting the right combination of Rim and Ratio can get me connected all over again . then i'm in the seat for hours. :p Ha,,,

19. ValAllyn

ValAllyn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oh… by-the-way, the ['Really' classic wheel] is Crazy-Cool. It Screams 'LOTUS' all-the-way. can't wait to hear your 'hands-on' impression of it.

20. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Nice. I'd also like a 300 m wheel, but that would mess up my extended paddle shifters... :confused:

I tried this quick release hub:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...ash=item2c99cc210f:g:xi4AAOSwFnFV9AOE&vxp=mtr

Nice price, and it adds only like an inch offset, but it's really wonky and pretty much useless. The AccuForce looks nice, but the price doesn't, and the pins looks like they're doomed to be bent or damaged at some time, like yours did...

So I'm sticking with the 6 standard bolts and my ingeniously simple wiring system.

The "Lotus"-wheel works really nicely. Even if it's heavy and large, the feedback feels great. Not very strong, but more than good enough. I'm happy. I now have a wheel for (almost) any occasion:
    wheels.jpg

• Like Like x 1