AI Aggression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhino_WJB, Feb 24, 2016.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Just to add to what @Christian Göpfert already mentioned....
    Whether or not adaptive is 'better' than fixed mainly depends on what you're looking for.
    I prefer AAI simply because I like an AI that is just out of reach, plus I don't have to remember what level to pick for each individual combo.
    Then again, I'm also a firm believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', so if people are getting good racing using fixed AI, by all means continue to do so.
    Having said that, if you already have a decent sampling-base from running against fixed AI, I suggest giving Adaptive a try.
    If it doesn't work, you can always switch back.

As for training the AAI, it's not as big a deal as it may sound.
    Yes, you have to do it for each car/track combo, but once you have a decent base, we're talking 6-8 laps.
    What I do is simply start from the back running Adaptive. After 3-4 laps I quit out, and check the index-file to see what level it was running at.
    Then do the same against fixed AI, adjusted by 5-10 levels from what the AAI ran at, up or down depending on whether the AI was too fast or slow.
    And that's it, that combo is now ready for racing against the AAI.

Alternatively, if you run 3-4 laps against fixed AI at the right level, you can then switch to adaptive and it'll adjust very quickly.
    The snag of course being what the right level is. :D
    I've attached the database for the combos I've done so far. It is nowhere near complete, and obviously only lists the classes I prefer (so very few DTMs for example.)
    IIRC the Carrera Cup and the GT3s are more or less complete, the FRJs nearly so. Anything else is pot-luck.
    And be aware that these are lap-times created by the Primer Tool, so there's a certain amount of guesswork built into them.
    They're pretty precise around my level (roughly 105) but the further away you move from that level, the fuzzier the guesswork becomes.
    So they're a good starting point, but don't take it as gospel.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    My observation is that the AI becomes over-aggressive with diff levels from 110 upwards.
    Before that happened I regularly drove (mostly DTM 16 due to online championship) something between 112 -118 with no issues, except "tough" racing.The aggression level might be set higher meanwhile, but I'm still faster than with level 110, tho it's not possible to have a "civilized" race anymore (with other cars it seems to be more easy-going)r Another problem is that the AI doesn't adapt to your setup. With DTM 16 you still have to use low wing settings to be really competitive, which means you're a little bit slower at the entry and the exit of a turn but still faster overall, a kinda disadvantage the AI exploits like unexperienced Crashkids.
    I#m sure its a tough nut to crack for an AI-Programmer, but nevertheless urgently required :)

3. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Fairman said:

"The aggression level might be set higher meanwhile, but I'm still faster than with level 110, tho it's not possible to have a" civilized "race anymore (with other cars it seems to be more easy-going)"

I understand you perfectly.

If the adversary is faster than me, overtake me, do not hit me.

4. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    1) What is normal braking? What you consider the AI to be braking early, I might consider it to be late. If we want to improve on the AI braking there is more we need to know. What corners, what difficulty is the AI set to. Is there a special circumstance that leads to it braking early or late.

2) This is most likely part of the braking.

3) This one I have to disagree with. I have raced the F3, DTM and GT3 cars lately and have had plenty of contact with the AI without spinning. The times i do spin is mostly because the car is unbalanced or the contact is heavy. Improvements can always be made but we don't want it to be rushed so that the opposite happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    @Aspius Don't waste your time with this guy, he's just a well known troll in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I will give him the chance to respond. Maybe it's useful or maybe just a waste of everyone's time. Depend's on how he decides to respond.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It makes me happy that Rocote can write another thing that disagree. Good for you .

Trolo can be but troll? no man, I'm just an excellent driver who wants the best for Rece Room so I insist that if the AI improves it could be "EL" simulator.

Dear friend Aspius, maybe you'll be more clear if you see videos on you tube just in "race room ai aggression" or in other post and you'll give me the reason, this AI is sooo crazy, meaningless.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've just watched all your videos and the overriding picture seems to bad driving in your part. Missing apexes and leaving the door wide open and then wondering why the AI makes an attempt to overtake. It looks like you are racing rhe AI ay a level that is to high for your skill level. I find that when I race the AI at the correct level I get very fair and competitive races. Obviously there are times when something goes wrong but that will always be the way with AI, it is reactioanry, if I do something that leaves no room for them then there's no way for them to avoid (eg brake to early, wrong line, etc). I think you need to improve your racecraft.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    He is, and he's been told so. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum.
    Doesn't seem to sink in though.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ai-drivers-probably-hate-my-guts.11537/

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/agressive-ai-rams-me-off-road.145836/

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/the-new-adaptive-ai.5013
    Page 16 onwards.

Feel free to engage if you want, but most of us have given up by now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Lol fair enough, I'm relatively new here....I think I'll give up on him now. I mean....in this one he drives into the side of the AI and then blames them....

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Since we were discussing it earlier....I've spend the last few days (not continuously) training my gt3 class around Suzuka. I've done 5 or 6 30min races and have driven about as well as I can in them. With adaptive AI I'm now finding that my pace is stuck around mid pack...I'm not quick enough to move up but I can just about hold off those behind. Question is will the adaptive AI eventually drop down to my level again or is this now what I'm playing with. I don't expect to be winning races but I would like to be competing for top 6 or even pushing for podiums.... My worry is that as I improve then so will they and I'll still not be able to challenge..... The racing is very fair though, a few rubs here and there but generally very believable.

12. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I’ve found that eventually I’m competing in the top 5.
    But then the adaptive AI may adapt based on the previous race (eg there may have been lots of incidents) so it varies....but it’s also that unpredictability that keeps it interesting

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    It's a bit of both.
    Your average lap-times over the last 10 laps is being compared to the average fastest laps of the grid.
    So theoretically, you should be around mid-pack.
    What usually happens when theory gets left behind, is that the player is more consistent than the AI, and starts moving up through the grid.
    I find that I can usually make it into the top 10, occasionally top 5. Podiums are possible, but I need a fair bit of luck for that to happen. All of which suits me fine, I'm more interested in the racing than where I might end up position-wise.

One issue with the GT3s is that there are so damn many of them, and not all of the AI drivers are equally fast.
    So occasionally you get stuck with a group of AI aliens, as it were. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Given I originally started this thread with a somewhat frustrated and "snipey" post, I feel it only right that I return to acknowledge the significant progress Sector 3 has made with R3E, particularly in the AI department.

This most recent "GT4" update is quite remarkable. The new cars drive wonderfully, and another key issue for me, being a single screen user, has been the inclusion of a look to apex: the effect is subtle (at 100%) but gives that few extra degrees of vision that helps to spot/track the tight apexes and corner exits.

AI though, I must say, has seen a big improvement. Taking the GT4 field, I ran a few races at AI 100 and was winning races quite easily. Not even really trying, just cruising (bearing in mind I'm very much a mid to low tier driver, not quick at all). Increasing the AI to 120 had a massive impact. I was having to push and concentrate just to keep up, which returned a 3 second improvement in my lap times at Zandvoort. All the while, the AI were racing each other closely and there was no sign of overly aggressive behaviour. Yes, I had some contact, but that was probably down to my track positioning with other (quicker) cars around me. Significant improvement in their behaviour, very impressed.

RaceRoom just keeps getting better, and credit where it's due, Sector 3 are delivering right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    What do you guys think of this accident?
    It is at Imola and I was in the yellow Camaro racing for the lead.
    AI was set to Adaptive.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    You kinda left door open for him, after overtaking with more inside line AI would of not had room to get next your rear wheel, also AI would of not had enough speed difference to pass from the outside.

For me that looks like that you kinda closed the door while AI was already in, causing the collision.

Human player would of probably braked, but AI is not so smart I think.

17. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I'd report the guy and get him kicked off the server!

Your line into the corner looked perfect; not sure about your speed tho.

It looks like the lead up to the corner was intense and the two of you were racing hard swapping places. I think you may have braked harder (entered the corner slower) then the AI expected so either a) the AI lost some grip in the braking zone or b) and I think this is what happened, the AI thought there was an opening which you closed before it could react.

I've had this happen occasionally with AI and in RL so just like in RL if I've got an car bearing down on me like that (especially one I've just passed); I take a tighter line into the corner to not even make that sort of move an option but then again if you brake too hard too early you run the risk of been hit from behind (just like in RL).

So I put these incidents down to racing incidents but relish the challenge of R3E's aggressive AI and the exhilaration of knowing that just like RL drives; AI can and will make mistakes so I gotta prepare for that.

If it happens a lot at that specific corner tho, just keep reporting it. Try and capture some in-car video from the AI perspective as well.

The first chicane at Zolder used to be an issue; people reported it, the developer look into it and fixed it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity. How many AI do you have on the track?

19. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Usually 25 + me
    I've ran up to 50 but I have to set the visible cars to 20 to get a smooth 60 fps
    I find that my CPU starts to bottle neck if I have much more then that.

Much more then that also means it's hard to find space on some tracks for qualifying

Sort bugs me tho; this game (like a lot other games) it only seems to use one core so even my i78700k struggles.
    I can get more AI running if I turn down the eye candy but...oh the compromises
    I have every graphic setting maxed out except motion blur is turned off

When I watch the system monitor I can see that one core is pretty much maxed at 100% and my 1080ti GPU is only using between 60-70%

I have always wondered tho if your CPU is stressing out; does that mean the AI might start glitching?

20. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Good question, I forgot to mention: 23 AI on the track :blush: