AI Aggression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by .OG Isaac, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I will try your settings Andi but the main issue is the rear end shunting, don't mind the BTCC love taps

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    to be honest i only get shunted 99 times out of 100 if i cut there nose off or switch lines in breaking zones ..; but i take any first lap instance to be a first lap thing as in real life

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    That was the IMSA GTO race with me in the Mustang. Today I tried it again, but instead of setting the AI to adaptive, I set it to around 90 I think and it was better. I noticed that less carnage happens when you rung long qualifying sessions, but that first straight and that first corner is a problem. After the field was spread out a bit, I have not seen any issues. My current strategy is to just let them go on that first corner and focus on avoiding any contact, it does cost me like 2-4 places, but it's easier to make up than after getting rammed of the track.

I think it's the adaptive AI that has problems, with a specific setting they still go a bit crazy in those GTO cars, but are more manageable. It might be the car/track combo that is causing them problems - the cars are quite powerful and a handful to handle and there is this long straight right at the start that ends with a tight corner. I don't know what their logic is, but my wild guess would be maybe tone down their aggression on the first lap/3 corners? After the field spreads out, there is more room to manoeuvre and and aggressive opponent can simply be allowed to pass at a safe distance, if he's faster.

4. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    To me it seems some classes are more prone to crash into you than others. Also, some cars seem waaaayy sensitive to any contact, sending you spinning from the slightest touch.

I seem to survive the AI pretty well with DTM and WTCC, but for instance P1 has been murder because the car is very sensitive.

Another problematic class for me has been GT3, mainly because I don't always keep optimal lines as well as in other classes, but also because the AI themselves seem not to either! They are all over the place in cornering.

Once you survive lap 1 and are relatively careful, I think most races are manageable. Of course it has a lot to do with AI level. At 100 they seem to fall into a depression once you overtake them, languishing in the distance. At 110 they will keep going whether you are in their way or not...

5. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Just made a quick 5 lap race in the touring classics and the only contact on the track was a little paint trading, but that was my fault entirely. Also, no issue in the new Formula 3 car. But, when I run adaptive AI with no qualifying and the GTOs on some track with long straights ending with a tight corner carnage ensues.

6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    AI is still heavily class dependent, and probably will be for the duration of the games life span.

Since each and every class has their own AI files, AI lines, and other parameters, there will always be some classes that race better than others.

I recall having some problems with the GTO class in testing, so this has already been noted. However, there simply isnt enough time to go around to include fixes for all the various bugs/issues that are tracked. Especially with a very small team.

AI is always being worked on and improved though, so Im sure this and others will get further looks in the future.

7. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, first of all if you run against the AI always run qualifying. This goes for any sim you care to mention, not just R3E.
    Otherwise you end up with the fast AI drivers being stuck behind the slower ones, and carnage usually ensues when too many cars tries to funnel into the same corner simultaneously.

Having said that though, there is a minor issue with the adaptive AI.
    It's not bugged as such, it just stops adapting a little too soon.
    I've been doing some extensive testing on it, and I keep meaning to put a video together on it but never seem to get around to it. :D
    But the short version is, that if the adaptive AI starts out higher than the actual level and starts adapting downwards, it reaches a point where it apparently thinks: "Well, that's close enough".
    Even though that level is 2-3-4 levels off. Same thing (obviously in reverse) when it adjusts upwards.
    And one thing I've learned about the R3E AI is that you really have to get the levels right in order to get good racing.
    It doesn't have to be much off to ruin a good race.

So what I've started doing is keeping an eye on the AI file as it adapts, and once it's found its level I manually adjust it up or down as needed.
    Preferably you need three entries for each combo, one at the 'correct' level and one both above and below for use if necessary.