AI insists on raceline with a vengeance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fischhaltefolie, Feb 11, 2016.

1. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    At the moment I'm driving GTR2 very often. One thing bothers me quite a lot.
    Repeatedly I was shot of the track in two situations.
    First, when driving side by side and the raceline of AI is crossing my line, for example on the long straight uphill at A1 or on Kemmel straight at Spa. AI pushes me off my line, if the raceline leads from one side of the track to the other, also if I have to leave the track. At least I'm losing a good part of pace.
    Second is worse. Overtaking AI on the inner side of a turn, AI often turns my car by cutting my line and hitting my back sideways.
    upload_2016-2-11_21-1-7.png
    Anyone with similar experience?
    Any chance of improvement?

2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Haven't raced the GT2 class on Spa, so can't say on this specific issue.
    But I have actually never got cut off by an AI taking my line.
    I would say that this is with my experience the best thing about the AI in R3E, that they are exceptionally good at holding their lines, and racing door to door. (sometimes for a hole lap)
    The times I have been in line crossing issues with the AI it have been my own fault.

3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm with @heppsan I don't have any issues with this provided we both hold our lines. Occasionally I've been squeezed out when the road narrows (into the Chase at Bathurst, for example), but in a way that is usually my fault for not relinquishing the line.

I had had the occasional over string tap from behind or the side when I've turned in early on someone, but not in a straight line. What strength are you using?

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I'm also with @heppsan I race mainly with WTCC 14 and FR2 and I haven't experienced this sort of issue with AI. They race side by side brilliantly I find. I realise your issue was with GTR2 but, as I say, with WTCC14 and FR2 I haven't had this problem at all.

5. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Yes I should have told.
    It depends on the track.
    I know, I'm producing a lot of mess by my self. Mostly when breaking to late, downshifting at the wrong time (though thinking don't do it!!!) or accelerating to much exiting a curve. Some dogfights ..., I'm glad not been taken to the court.:eek:
    Usually I start at 90 and proceed to 95, bevor changing the track for some variety.
    This gives me a chance, to catch up again. The laptimes normally are fastest. If I'm at that level on every track, I'll be back! for further improvement.
    Well, these are my mistakes. But when coming back into race again and then been turned around, I'm glad again, there are no juridical consequences for insulting the other driver.:p
    Shouldn't it work at any level?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    As we've discussed on this forum a few times, the AI will seem to charge into you if you are too slow or do something unexpected (from their point of view) at a particular spot on the track. :D

Close racing is what makes the game so immersive... but to have close racing the AI have to stay right with you on your rear bumper - if you brake early or miss a gear they may accidently hit you - just as a real race driver would.

I remember the great Murray Walker explaining that race drivers have to have trust that the car in front won't do something unexpected (e.g. brake very early) as this causes accidents.

As you improve (and I mean that respectfully! :)) you'll find the AI are great to race with. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    But as I wrote, I was overtaking right bevor, so me, actually beeing faster, ai slamed into my back sideways as you can see in the screenshot above. He was still a little beside me.

8. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Oh I see - so you passed him on the inside and before you were fully past him, he turned in on you and clipped you?

Haven't seen that before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    You explained more precise, than me beeing involved:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well okay, took me some time as well to reach the right level with AI racing (switched to "adaptive" now) - but what I can tell you is that the real fun with AI starts when you're reaching a diff. level by 110 and up. They surely have some flaws but when gaining some decent skills with MP (which I would recomment) they are absolutely great. You just have to become fully self-confident in your car with adding a pinch of ruthlessness (but still clean) :) and then they're racing you like a tough MP opponent - at least that's my experience.

[​IMG]

(Yeah buddy, that's the right attitude ! :) )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on it, but there are so many cars and tracks and much more to come! :eek:

So no more purchase?

No let's increase the pile of shame!:D

12. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    From my experience : Please No ! :D
    (I have waaay too much content I rarely use)

But I definitely increased my overall-performance by focussing on one Series at a time (mostly modern DTM and GT3 atm)

13. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Ah well, I guess that's cos I have the advantage of posting in my native language. :)

If I tried to post in German I would probably have accidently said something like "My hovercraft is full of eels". :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    So let's stick to English and you'll have to deal with my babble.:)

15. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The thing that gets me with the ai and is the main reason I have not played rre for a while is the ai's ability to brake better than me... If I run close and brake at the exact same time I will crash into the back of the ai. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    yeah....higher AI difficulty can help

17. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Also I sometimes get the AI ramming me when I am along side them. Its like they don't know I am there bc they go into me 2-3 times. Was very odd, and it didn't happen all of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Last races were almost clean, maybe I've learned and look to it more and anticipate a bit.

19. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    so the higher the ai the more realistic the braking ?? it's like they are using diff physics (which i suppose they are!)

20. Sean Kenney

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    not saying that, just saying it might help you with closer racing.

No idea really, but they can't use the same physics bc of cpu usage.

• Like Like x 1