AI Qualifying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IGEM, Nov 16, 2021.

1. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    As you can see Keke was in race one nearly 2 seconds faster. And here the race results.
    upload_2021-11-23_15-43-46.png

In race 1 I started 7th and finished 8, about 1.5 seconds behind 7th. With reversed grid I started R2 1st. I was not that much of a road block for AI but you see that their fasted lap times in more or less packed racing was way slower than in R1. But 2 seconds difference at the same track with same AI level and same parameters is quite interessting as it is a quite big differencde on a one and a half minute lap.

2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that the AI (adaptive) is adapting my pace the moment I manage to get up front (even falling back behind me), while in the middle of the pack they are pushing like hell (the more you're pushing yourself of course), which makes it hard work to maintain your position (and your rythm/flow)
    I've seen some complains about AI behaviour, namely regarding the gap on qualy sessions.
    Well, yeah 2 Secs relative to your own qualy pace is a bit too much. But all in all, coming from more league oriented community, racing the AI comes stunningly close to the races against my m8s there (Gap to the fastest ones was always around 1-1,5 secs incl. severe practice on my side). Only issue might be set-up related when your fav setup differs (for worse or better) from the default one the AI is using...

3. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I did some more races. At Monza AI had massive issues at Ascari, Many spins. Maybe due to low downforce setup.

I come to the conclusion, that AI should be made faster in packed racing and in heavy breaking zones and slower in faster corners, like lesmo 1, hungaroring Last Corner, Hockenheim Last corner or pouhon at spa. They simply have too much grip there.
    AI should be a little bit more aggressive.

Then I would only have to decrease AI strenght from 102 to maybe 99 and my fastest lap times would be more equal to the AI.

Currently I only lead that championship, cause I can gain spots after the start at packed racing and I can take ober better than AI, they do not defend agressively enough.

If I would have done that Championship with only one AI Driver, then I would have no chance at 102% level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  4. Steve Redfox

Steve Redfox Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm having read through the whole walls of text, I cannot say that I have such an issue with the AI.
    I use R3E for my offline championships in several series ( like DTM, GTR 2,3,4, FR90, and some custom Cups ).
    I had not even thought of running grids with as few as 7 opponents except for "Trackdays".
    And certainly, I do not run anything like "10min races" or 10min qualy sessions.
    That would be too far from any reality and comes not even close to what a sim is here for. We allask for more reality all the time and hhen play 10 minute stints ? See no use in that. ? However, each to his own.

My observations with adaptive AI ( I never use fixed values ) , oriented along real-live race regulations / conditions of various racing series, is the following :

Gridsizes of at least 17 but up to 33 cars ( plus mine ) per class. I rarely do multiclass events though.
    Race-weekend with 30-60 minutes free practice, depending on race type 30 minutes quali or 2×15 - 20 minutes Qualy ( for 2 races ), racelength at least 30, preferably 45 to 60 minutes.

Assembly of the grid : usually, I try to match the grid with real starterlists in most series. R3E let us do this as the provide the leveries and real names of drivers (for most series ). In my custom cups, like the AMG GT3 Gentlemendrivers cup, I let select R3E the grid out of the 45+ AMG GT3s I have in the sim. Otherwise I look for an even distribution among different types of cars.

Impression ( as I have not done any empiric investigation as others ):
    - Given enough practice time and a large enough sample of AI drivers ( hence minimum 17 ) , AI adopts quickly to a circuit. Maybe 10 laps or so.
    - AI is not in race or quali speed during practice ( as in reality most of the time )
    - AI is most often VERY quick in many turns ( artificially ;-) ) but has always one or two corners on a track they struggle with
    - AI drivers seem to have different levels of experience by track. Only few are always on the podium no matter which track they race.
    - I have , until now, refrained from Pitstops during races. But will test this as well in future series.
    - As R3E does not provide changing weather ( please devs, look into that...it adds so much reality ), no need for discovering AI under wet conditions.

Final conclusion FOR ME:
    under near reallife race-setup conditions, Adaptive AI provides a very challenging "simulation" of real racing. AI is capable to "learn" given enough time ( sample laps ).
    Compared to AI in AC,ACC and rFactor2, I think the R3E Adaptive AI is the most balanced and realistic one in terms of what a real driver could achieve and which lvel of aggressiveness one could expect.
    Hope this helped.....ahh btw. There must a thread about the Adaptive AI here on the forum, which provides a lot of insights and good advise regarding AI in R3E.

Good luck in yourcraces, gentlemen..

5. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for reading. But I (and I think many Others) so not have so much time to do full race weekends....
    Anyway, racing AI is fun. My critics are nuances, but prooven, as you also wrote that AI is in some corners artificially too fast. And these corners are the mid-fast speed ones. And the bad ones are mainly the slow ones.

6. Steve Redfox

Steve Redfox Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply. I understand, of course time constraints. However, let me say, that the real "fun" in racing and simracing is to invest the proper time needed to learn the driving and have a real challenge. It's like with so many other things in life today. I spend probably 5-10 hours a week on my simracing, split up mainly between ACC, R3E, AC. I had to skip playing some of my strategy games though ( Warhammer 2, some 40k titles) and I dropped F1 2020 completely.
    It's all a matter of priotärities. Becoming good in almost anything you do requires commitment ( time, money, physical ) and typically not just following the easy way.

If I would jump in my rig for 2x10 minutes racing I would gain nothing for me and even gaining a podium against AI or online players in such a race is meaningless. It's not even a warm-up.
    I don't learn a car and track for hours lapping, just to run a couple minutes of race.which is the main reason for going through all this learning stress in the first place.. It simply does not satisfy my hunger for what I invest my time in Simracing.

Again, thats my personal view and everyone has to find his own way of enjoying this product. In reallife racing though , you would kill for every opportunity to be on a track and do a race, even in a small skip barber or similar for 30 minutes plus quali....When I was actively driving amateur rallys, we had practically little to no time to study the sections beforehand. There was rarely a map available, let alone a description of the current status of the section before the roadbook was handed out.
    But we used "Trackdays" whenever possible on certain areas or even race-tracks ( Hockenheim primarily ) where you were allowed to drive your rally-car outside of normal traffic. This took hours just to learn certain basic driving techniques..and find ONE general setup which worked for more then one rally.....always with a risk to damage the car which was also my daily driver.

Same applies for the rallies themselve which took typically 2 days ( Sat/Sun) and often included even night-driving sections, also in the wintertime.

Of course , driving between sections took place on normal roads and if getting caught with speedtickets, you could even loose points in your rally-classement. Which in return limited the options for the next rallys in our national championship. So...all of that didn't bring us one single cent and costed tons of hours and money. Why doing that ? Because of the challenges...men are born for such kind of things......some women too ( i.e. Michele Mouton...)...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  7. anno900

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I do simracing since gp1, gplegends or even NASCAR 1.... Now with Family and Work, i can only Spende about 1-1,5 h per week for that Hobby. Bei Sure i did füll Championship at gtr2. Sure fun, but nowadays I'm looking for good Action. And watching btcc is more fun than watching füll 24h races.... Enough off topic... Everyone has his Background.
    Maybe with the Option to save during a session, full Race weekends might be Back on my screen

8. Steve Redfox

Steve Redfox Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Indeed. Ahh..GTR2....all time favourite and granddaddy of R3E...just today I tried to make it work with my new CSL DD..with mixed success though. But hearing the music alone was worth to fire it up again...

All the best and stay healthy..

• Like Like x 1