Bug Ai Reporting Thread

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Andy Blade, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    how many AI are you using ?

Andi

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Along with what Andi asked...

Do you have any specific lap times they are putting up? If you feel they are incredibly slow, even at 120%, I have a feeling your AI file might be corrupt somehow.

I'm not the quickest guy around, but Im still pretty fast, and even at 110%, they put up a strong challenge.

Georg just posted a stream where he raced the FR US at various tracks. He used 115% as I recall. At Laguna for instance, AI pace was 1:09-1:10 per lap. That matches about what I can do as well.

Have noticed they are a bit slow in high speed corners and sometimes dont take them flat out when they could, like T1 at Silverstone or, umm... the turn after the old pit straight. Copse I think.

Know a few testers were playing around at Suzuka and they have lap times to compare against there if you could give that a go.

If the AI times dont match up at Laguna for instance though, then I imagine your AI file is bugged as mentioned.

3. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I have notice similar behavior with FR-US, they end up smashing you from behind and wheel rubbing a lot like their peripheral awareness is out the window.. For me they are part from that very competitive I only use set Ai strength from 100 and up depending on what car or chalange I want, but I tryed up to 110 with RF-US and made little difference in the way they are aware of you like you're not there. I tried to check this by simply parking sideways almost at the end on the first long uphill straight at Spa like I spun around or crashed out and giving them plenty of time to (see me) but they just drove full speed right in to me and after a minute or so I had a pile of car stuck in one place. Didn't even try to go around me or slow down like yellow flag ment go full speed all is ok... LOL
    So there is something going on there that is not all right with the FR-US Ai have not yet tryed other cars with this but couple days ago I drove GT3 and saw nothing similar to this.

I tested from 19-49 cars on Spa. and made a quick 10 lap race with random start gridposition and using roling start...
    The amount of cars made no difference.

4. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    That's not a valid test.
    The AI is designed to be aware of cars around it running at approximately the same speed.
    So it checks within a specific boundary, call it a ten-meter circle for arguments sake. So if you park on the racing-line, by the time you enter their detection-range, it's far too late for them to stop.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the FR US, there may very well be, I haven't had time to run them yet.
    I'm merely pointing out that you can't do weird things on track, and expect the AI to handle it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    yes I agree but if you do the same in most other car series they go around you or break and try to avoid you.
    There is a big difference in the awarness of your car in FR-US, like your car is only size of the cockpit so any part beond that they ignore. Wich mean they hit you a lot during a couple of laps, almost more like a demolition derby at some points..
    But that awarness of you is only problem I 've seen with FR-US Ai part from that they're like competative and fairly balanced aggressive IMO..

Edit: and the few time they don't hit you or keep bumping you it is awesome fun to race them.
    they might be a litle to slow in some corners to wich make the flow of the race litle off and unpredictable what they do in next corner, break to hard or not.. ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    @Andi & nate, ok for instance was doing some races last night at Sonoma IRL layout in the FR-US, 19 AI so the full amount of that vehicle, either using adaptive or 120%, was doing lap times in the 1.18s, they were averaging 1.23's for the fastest car I think in a 10 lap race, by lap 7 had caught the back of the field up and started passing, 2nd race they had improved but there cornering ability is awful and the fastest car was in the 1.22's, take the 2 hairpins on that layout, they crawl round and I mean crawl round, there fine accelerating out of corners, but anything that is around a 90dg bend they are really slow, done this test at Silverstone as well, same thing, but it's not just the FR-US there it's all cars, I don't think it's specific to a certain vehicle, I don't know what has happened over the last year but it's not good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, thanks for all this info.

Im pretty sure your AI file for them is bugged :p

I've been driving this combo a lot today, and at 110%, the AI in the FR US is doing about 1:17. There are a few slow spots, like that tight hairpin halfway through the lap, but their overall pace is challenging.

Could you please try locating your AI file in My documents/my games/SimBin/R3E/User Data/Player 1 ... and then AI Adaptation.

Copy that and paste it to your desktop for safekeeping, or make a backup and store it some place safe. Now, delete that file from the folder and start the game. The game will create a new AI file. Next, try out the FR US at 120% and see if they still drive slowly.

120% should be lap times of around 1:15 at Sonoma IRL I believe.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Ok nate will check it out and let you know at some point today..

9. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I had a short 10 lap race yesterday with the Formula US @ Mid-Ohio, AI set to adaptive.
    All in all I love the new cars and the race was pretty neat, however they seem to slow down too much before and during the Carousel (the last corner) imo. Can anyone confirm this or made the same experience? Also I could outbrake them quite easily before the Keyhole.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Defiantly seems to have cured the problem at 120% nate, re-ran Sonoma & Silverstone again very competitive and had to drop back to 115% max, haven't tried re-running the adaptive side yet, but will let you know at some point..cheers. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I'll check this one out. Im not sure if there is track specific AI code on this track or how old it would be if there is. Could just be a case of an old track that needs to have some things updated. The FR US AI also isnt perfect, and Im sure could be refined in places, so that could always be worth a report too.

Ahh, glad to hear this did the trick. I've seen this happen occasionally where the AI is just way off the pace for some reason. No idea how that happens or why it does, but at least the fix is simple enough :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gopher04

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The only other thing is, I do think the FF-US AI need to be looked at, they are way to aggressive, they dive bomb ito gaps that don't exist, and the amount of rear ending and wheel rubbing is over the top, I 've missed the corner so many times because a AI is stuck to the side of me and forcing me off track, and when they wheel rub your speed just gets scrubbed off, the amount of wheel/fender rubbing just shouldn't happen in open wheelers, it does happen in the other open wheeler classes as well, it really is spoiling the race I think.

13. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    • Mid Ohio GP and Chicane : Tweaks to AI lines (from Febs update)
    The AI take the following corner way too wide, nowhere near the Apex. It's the second last Left hander (Turn 11), Full Course in the Audi TT Cup 2016, 113 Strength

14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I cant really reproduce this issue with the TT cup cars.

When they drive single file, they often hit the apex, and take that corner fairly normally. Sometimes they take it a bit wide, but no worse than me when I judge the turn in point wrong and miss the apex by a meter.

The only time I really notice that they completely miss the apex is when they are either driving side by side, or when they are in very close proximity to each other, and pressure each other to mess up.

If you happen to have a video clip of this, it may help. :)

15. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Sorry can't help with that, I saw none of them hit the apex last night, all a good few meters away (over half way) during close racing and when in single file.

16. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I made sure and deleted the aiadaptation.xml but it still happens at T11 (Full Course), I lowered them to 107 Strength as they were kicking my bottom at 113! Get Real physics, 19 AI. Blatantly taking a very wide line through this turn as if they're on rails, makes it very distracting, other corners just fine from what I've seen. Very odd if you can't reproduce as there's nothing else I've changed so would've thought this would be across the board and highly noticeable, one thing of note is this is the only corner I've seen them run onto the grass occasionally.

17. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    IMO, having just finished two championships of GT3 and Silhouettes after a long hiatus, there is a significant improvement in the AI after the big AI update. It's the way the AI defends and attacks from behind, the so called "stress factor", which seems to work between AI cars too (is this correct? since I'm seeing a lot more battles between AIs), and their improved handling of hairpins.

I think one result of the "stress factor" is that car clusters can get backed up, and since they are now more aggressive from behind there's a lot more action from both ends. Maybe that's why players complain now more about getting hit? If awareness stays its (frankly mediocre) self and aggression and randomness increase, then obviously you're going to have trouble.

Having said that, my "being rammed from behind" incidence rate when I don't make bad mistakes and drive around my AI skill level, is exactly zero.

So whatever you do, please do not roll back the stress factor and/or other AI changes you've made, because its created a much better racing experience, much less "on rails", and much more dynamic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Yup, stress factor works in AI vs AI situation. Seen some overshooting corners, offtracks, etc which probably was caused by this system. But sometimes this is just issue with AI, for example on Zolder they tend to go wide in first chicane.

I would like to see more DNFs from them. They're really rare, almost all the time there is full grid finish, even in longer races.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Well, tried out "touring classics" today and the AI was blind. I was hit on 3 different tracks from behind at different angles on straights. The BMW 635 seems to accelerate slower than the AI, at least around 110%, and coming from behind they showed zero awareness of me. Its a nice class to drive but it's virtually unracable. Disappointing.

20. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Which track?