AI with Lapped traffic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shardshunt, Dec 13, 2015.

1. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    on the hole im happy with the new ai ive had many good two and even three wide battles with the ai as well as watched many battle with ai vs ai.

but on a dtm 92 race the other day on zandvoort club and we (the lead pack of 5) caught up with a lapped car which i think is really cool and im happy about apart from the fact all the ai stopped racing and lined up behind it and proceeded to lap about a second off pace behind the lapped car.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to implement logic for AI cars so they know when they are about to be lapped and take the appropriate action?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    like blue flag logic... id say its a must before multiclass endurance racing. i want my super gt (dtm + gt3).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kris_peeters

kris_peeters Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Agree with you Shardshunt. Just wrote about it in the update section but will post it here also:

Just tried a first race ( GT3 Single Race, Zandvoort, AI 108%, No Pitstop ) with the new AI and am really impressed with what S3S did ( Robert Holm and team ) . The AI feels alive, gives a good fight, is not super-glued to the road anymore and makes the occasional mistake, and door to door racing is a blast ( no more spinning out of control at the slightest touch ).
    There is just one big issue that still persists and that makes long races next to impossible ( and makes qualifying a procession behind the slow cars ), and that is the fact that it seems impossible for the AI to overtake the backmarkers in a race ( or the 2 slowest cars on the track in practice and qualifying ). The AI races each other fine now but from the moment they reach the slowest cars on track ( 2-4 seconds slower then the rest ), they just do not, can not overtake them and that just kills the race ( You see the 2 leaders overtaking each other behind the slowest car, but they can not overtake the slow car itself?? ).
    I really hope a solution can be found for this problem ( maybe through implementation of flag rules? ), because for the rest the AI now truely is just wonderfull to race against!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Robert Holm

Robert Holm KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well I just assumed lapping a car would be no problem for the AI, hehe. Must be something up with logic that makes it harder than passing a same lap AI. Gotta look into this one, thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I think it may actually be because they are so much slower in a (unnecessary) effort not to hit them the ai will break on entry to straights ect and lose all its momentum. they tend to end up about a car length behind the i for the lap on zandvoort club apart from the chicane where they dive up the inside but have to slow down to not cut.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed another small oddity with the ai, in qually they tend to get held up behind a slower car and this can lead to a lot of fast cars not even setting a good lap, often the whole feild will be in a big train by the end of a 20 min qually session.

to reproduce exactly this try qually for gt3@ spa for a 30 min race with ai @ 108 difficulty and just sit in the pits and wait till the end of the session and u will see they are all in a train.

again just a small issue nothing major but should probably be fixed before multiclass.
    the ai should look to leave the pits with plenty of spare track and should back off the pace if they start the lap too close to the car ahead and behave like blue flag cars untill they start their next lap.

8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
  9. Robert Holm

Robert Holm KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I have improved this along with ease of overtaking a lapped car in race, not sure when it'll reach public

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    For outstanding continuous sevices to this simracing endavour and its community I hereby award this fine gentleman with the
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I cant wait. thats a quick fix if ive ever seen one.

12. kris_peeters

kris_peeters Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Also can't wait. You de man Robert Holm!!!!! :D;)

13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    There have been a few posts from yourself and @Marko Hartikainen that remind me why I enjoy following the development of this game and responding directly to the feedback given about the AI that are really very much appreciated.

I realise what you're working with has some limitations and you're doing an excellent job of creating the best AI going. It's a few steps away from being perfect and this is one of the main ones, so whatever you can do is greatly appreciated.

I started to compile a list of small fixes that could be made to smooth out racing lines which I'll post at some point, but it's by no way meant as a criticism of the job you've been doing here.

• Like Like x 2