AMG Mercedes GT3 gearing

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Aurigarius, May 26, 2020.

1. Aurigarius

Aurigarius Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    The Merc is the only car in GTR3 which doesn't hit 6th gear on a lot of the tracks because the gearing is sooo long. Even at Monza it only needs 6th gear at the very end of the main straight.
    Is that really the way it is on the real car or is that kind of a bug? I's really love to have the final drive ratio a tad shorter

2. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I's always been like this, so I guess it's the real gear ratios of this car.

Even worse: the BMW M4 GT4. This thing has 7 gears and you reach 6th gear just before the end of Döttinger Höhe. :confused: I guess GT4 are tied to gear ratios of the road going car or something like this and there the 7th gear would probably be some economic cruise gear for the highway.

3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Gearing ratios vary a fair bit from series to series.
    So in this case, I think it's more likely a part of the BoP.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Blame emissions standards!

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    This is just how the real car is, see below. Lots of torque with a very flat power curve so it doesn't really loose out by not making use of all the gears all the time.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Aurigarius

Aurigarius Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your response, Alex.
    As I was testing the car in Monza for the last couple of days I watched some real onboards.
    This one from 2017 shows a similar gearing and a similar laptime to mine.

Two years later - same driver, same car (well...don't know about tires etc. of course). They seem to have a shorter 6th gear now, which gave them a significant improvement in laptimes. All the other gears seem to be as before. Si final drive ratio seems to be the same

Same similarities are to be seen in onboards from other tracks. So maybe it is time to have a look at the AMG's gearbox again. :)
    Thank you and your team-mates for your great job! ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I can have a look into that, but any changes will throw our BOP out of the window.

It's possible that in the GT Open series homologations aren't as closely observed as other series, so it may be allowed to run a none-homologated top gear.