An Alternative to the BMW M235i

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zziggy, Oct 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Maybe little known, for those who want a beginner´s car with RWD, is the 2013 WTCC BMW E90 320 TC.
    In my opinion it is nimbler and less inert than the M235i. Check it out!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Very good proposal. I completely forgot about that car. As you said, very nimble and nice handling. It's very pure and a good starting point for a beginner to get used to having no ABS or traction control.
    Maybe the Lotus Evora GT4 is another one to mention. It's not as easy to drive, but has TC and ABS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Great car but I've got my problem with the choice:
    1. The physics modle is one of the oldest in R3E (Last updated in 2014 according to the Lookup List)
    2. The sound, especially the exterior one, is just not good recorded compared to modern R3E standards

Besides that, I love to drive the TC2 BMW and feel like TCR needs a RWD car-or the follow up series, whatever it would be named!
    Greetings

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I was surprised by how the car feels, despite the outdated physics. It wasn't floaty at all. Forcefeedback felt good, too.
    Ok, that sound can not compete with the 235's, but I think that's not enough to not recommend it to a beginner.

5. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the old physics is a problem, especially if you're introducing someone new to R3E to it.
    A better choice would be the FRJ. Or the Silhouettes.

Besides, since the BMW235i is one of my favourite cars, there are a few things that speak for it.
    First and foremost, if you're new to sim-racing, learning to drive a momentum-car isn't the worst idea in the world.
    Second, while it is admittedly no speed-demon, it's hardly inert. Soft front ARB, hard rear springs, dial down the TC and it'll be plenty lively enough.
    Third, there's probably no better car to teach you how to run in a pack. Given the influence the draft has on these things, it's well nigh impossible to get away from anyone.
    And of course, for super-close bumper-to-bumper racing, nothing beats the 235i. The comparatively low speeds and an acceleration that is less than impressive means you'll have to maneuver for any position you gain.

Then again, if you don't like the car, you don't like the car.
    like most other things, it's mainly a matter of personal choice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I like the tourquey motor and nice handling of the 235i...just run around in 3rd gear, it pulls very well.

• Agree Agree x 2