An evening with Game Stock Car Extreme

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mr_belowski, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I think if I remember correctly, they said it wasn't allowed by either partner. (FT or Stock Car Brasil). The only reason the Copa Petrobas De Marcas was allowed in SCE was because they now both share the same gas supplier. Again I may be wrong, but I think I read that on RD.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Elva

Elva Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I just love the feel of this game. The steering and FFB feels so precise and 1:1 and I can't achieve the same feeling in R3E which is a shame.
    I really enjoy the new Lancer Cup cars and they're perfect for practicing racing lines and consistency. It's incredible how much content you get for the price you pay, especially with Rallycross, Super Trucks, Formula V10 and much more coming soon.

3. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Try AC...the cars are nice to drive as are the tracks ( Spa and Nordscheife are very good)....some good open wheel mods too......definatly worth the money...different from RRE, which I prefer, but a must have I think.

4. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Don't know how big of a fight between "physics" engineers it would be, but would love to see s3s and reiza merge/cooperate ;) They seem spiritually on similar level and reiza could provide a lot of experience for the open wheelers, would give a nice counterweight to AC and iracing. While I have no clue about old GSCE versions, the one thing I like is that all their stock content feels good from day one to me. I only have one FFB slider, and the only file edits I had to make was making the car shake not the camera, which was also required for R3E (still not understand why all those sims don't have a simple option for that in the stock UI, also don't understand whey R3E cannot change fov in-game, make people feel comfortable easily damn it ;) ).
    R3E has the greater audio/video content polish for sure, but only some classes feel right to me from handling. And as long as there is that inconsistency, it adds that little "dent" to the otherwise good picture of R3E. In GSCE the "dent" to me is that the AI on some tracks does very weird things, but otherwise it's a rather smooth/consistent product.
    It's really annoying that R3E is really bitten by the original "let's release tons of content first" (from the early days, not the s3s packs). Still has that "dual products in one" feeling.

5. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have both GSC and R3E and think they're both fantastic. To me they both have a similar driving feel and the SP experience against AI is generally pretty rewarding from both.

R3E tops GSC in terms of presentation and audiovisuals.
    GSC tops R3E in terms of racing feature completeness.

Neither title is perfect, both seem to have small communicative dev teams and generally mature and helpful supporter communities committed to their improvement. I don't see why both sims can't be enjoyed for their merits.

Oh and before I forget, thanks so much OP for the incredible Crew Chief addon!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Quick SCE question, if you don't mind gents...

Does anybody know if it's possible to move the seat position further forward than +100 in cockpit view? Is there a text file adjustment that allows this?

7. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    There is .cam files that encode the reference positions. Should be able to cover what you need.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  11. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
  12. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Any Stock Car Extreme fans should check out Patrick Giranthon's latest update to the Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona. One of the best, if not THE best, mod track for SCE yet based on graphical standard. It's not far off Reiza standards.

You get the old and current layouts with a spring, summer and autumn texture set for each.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downl...gsc-v1-50-or-above-2003-layout-included.4371/

• Like Like x 3
  13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    An interview with Reiza Studios, Parts One and Two.

14. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Good interviews by @Paul Jeffrey - much appreciated.

Clearly the question that will spark most debate is this:

15. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    After reading a bit more in that thread, it appears it won't be a closed system. Reiza IMO would be making a huge mistake if they didn't allow modding in the 2017 game and sales would suffer. I enjoy SCE and the stock content, but I feel the mods add immensely to the game. Without modding in SCE, we'd only have Imola, Red Bull Ring, Suzuka, and a couple of others as non South American tracks. We'd also have no GT3 cars as well. If you want a worldwide audience, then you have to have worldwide tracks and cars, and if you can't or won't afford the licensing for such content, then you have to make it where worldwide content can be added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. pixeljetstream

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    It does sound closed to me, he clearly said their license deal with ISI has to respect that rfactor titles would be the modding platform, not their product. It's really about how the licensing terms, not them "allowing" something, rather what they are allowed to do based on the terms they negotiated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Agree with @Dave R that modding has helped SCE become what it is. Here we have a game with a very niche offering of stock content that has limited appeal outside of South America. SA is a massive continent but not necessarily a lucrative gaming market (and we're talking about sim racing, which is already a small market as it is). Modding has helped SCE expand it's range of content outside SA, therefore giving the title more appeal in the 'core' markets of Europe, North America and Aus/NZ.

That said, I love the fact that SCE offers something different. The Stock Car V8 is as good a sim car as anything out there and is my go-to car in SCE. I love the South American tracks with their more retro, sometimes quirky feel. A nice relief from the Tilkedromes and Disneyland circuits favoured by modern F1.

But I also tend to agree with @pixeljetstream in that it does sound as though the future will be closed to modding. SCE is seen as a more refined version of rFactor and a more stable, easier to use title than rFactor2, therefore it has become a popular modding platform. Herein lies the problem for ISI and rFactor2, which (in my opinion) needs modders to bolster a very lacklustre offering of stock content from ISI. They've also lost out badly to Assetto Corsa in terms of modding interest so I can understand why ISI would want to effectively shut-out Reiza as part of the terms of using a newer engine.

In the end I'm sure I will be quite happy with the stock offerings from Reiza in future. They have slowly broadened the scope of their product outside of South America but give me a full Stock Car Brasil and Copa Petrobras de Marcas with all the tracks on a new engine with new features and I will be a very happy bunny indeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    If they close it off to modding, Reiza2017 will have to be low priced or have a shit ton of content for me to buy it (Euro Tracks, US tracks, GT Cars, etc)

19. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    The eponymous stock cars might just be my favourite cars in sim racing. The interiors are well done, they drive beautifully, they sound fantastic and, with the FOV of view set up correctly, their fat backsides look superb through the windscreen. :cool: SCE does so many things so well. Automobilista and "Reiza 2017" have a lot to live up to. So does RRE. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. For offline use, Reiza and R3E are my go-to's. There's not a single Reiza car that's not a blast to drive. I absolutely love the Lancer Cup cars. Easily one of the best in any game.

• Like Like x 1