An Incident count system actually works well online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    A few races last week online turned out to be great with an incident count system. Basically, a number of reckless drivers got disqualified in less then 2 min whilst clean racers stayed on track. The same bunch of people joined next session but this time I could see 90% (including the reckless ones) were driving clean. I think it was great. Hence that it is probably best to set to a maximum of 20 incidents in Raceroom raceway and maybe more or less for other tracks. Very useful indeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    So expanding on this. Do you think for higher reputation events it should have a higher threshold or lower? Rep 70 (30) rep 50 (20)?
    I'd like to see it as low as 10 for any event above rep 80. But thats just me as a crazy safe driver. lol

3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Don't know, need to try everything. Definitely should keep fairly strict in order to maintain clean driving and enjoyable experience. I think this is so far the best way to improve RR online experience.

4. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I agree, 30 is too high. If we're driving cleanly then 20 or less is plenty, but maybe it should also depend on circuit and number of laps?.

The other day I was having a great race at Brands Hatch, 20 minutes long, and it was spoiled when one driver decided to wait for us along Coopers & try to hit legitimate racers each time round. I saw he was eventually disqualified and disappeared about halfway through the race, but to be getting away with it for half the race was really too long.

Overall the ranking seems to be a good system, but I'm a bit disappointed that I sometimes see a driver that I am faster than, but they are so hell bent on not being overtaken, that they resort to weaving and blocking, or even stabbing the brakes to make you hit them. And yet they still manage to have a high rating because they have held position to the end.

I wish there was a way to police that behaviour as well as the 'simple' collision based system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Also, when you look at the rating requirements of the ranked servers, most of them are far too lenient to be any use, aren't they? I mean, the majority seem to be set at zero! How is that going to discourage bad driving, and how does it give more 'safety conscious' drivers some choice about the standard of server they are entering?

Surely the ranked servers should vary from zero right up to 1500 or more, so that we have to earn the right to make it into the 'cleanest' of servers. I hope this is something that is still being progressed, as currently it looks like a great idea that has not yet been followed through far enough.

6. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Maybe add a significant 10 second slowdown penalty for every incident point. So atleast any aggressive driving risks loosing positions to cleaner drivers.

Also 20 reputation is equivalent of 1 cut track penalty incident per lap.
    Make it dependant on cars. Formula x90 was excellent racing because 1 collision does enough damage to end your race.

My own personal stats for example my Frx90 races were almost consistently flawless with 0 incident points. Comparatively in GT3 its 5-15 points per race because people are always banging wheels without fear of damage.

7. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I agree mostly, but, if I'm understanding the system correctly, a slowdown would also affect the innocent driver too wouldn't it?
    I think the actual incident point system without slowdown could be good enough, it just needs to be more severe, so a driver who decides to cause collisions is removed more quickly.
    ( I would be gutted if not only was I maliciously shunted but then also forcibly slowed for 10 seconds).

Also, even the best drivers slide off track and incur incident points occasionally, and I don't think slowdown points would be justified there.

8. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I think 20 incidents counts are pretty good and strict on Raceroom raceway. Qualifications 10 min, race 15 min. It works well.

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    On all tracks for a 15 minute race, 20 points would be enough if there was more leeway as to first corner/lap multiple crashes when the field is bunched up.

If you start mid grid and get hit by someone at the first chicane then another 2 cars with nowhere to go crash into you, then it´s triple jeopardy time and you have already lost at least 12 points, maybe more if you have to go off track to rejoin. I think the amnesty period between 4 point infractions needs to be a bit higher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    There's some good sense here, and I've seen other threads discussing this subject, but does anyone actually pay any attention or care what we think?
    I really don't mean to sound cynical, but when I look at the ranked servers, most rating requirements are set to zero, which makes them pretty pointless. There is no requirement to use your personal ratings to get into certain servers, or gradually get yourself 'promoted' into 'cleaner' servers, or to get bumped back down. Apart from personal satisfaction of improving your own ratings, it just doesn't seem to matter what your score is.
    It would just be reassuring to hear whether this is actually being reviewed, improved, developed (or not).

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I still don't understand how the ranking system as a whole works except for the incident count. Anyone can explain in simple words?

12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    http://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/

Rating

Our formula is based on an ELO rating system with many refinements to accurately rate racing events. Each player starts at 1,500 and can then go up or down depending on results. We take into consideration several variables to compute the rating of each driver who took part in a race. The more races you do, the more accurate the rating will become.

The reputation score reflects the behavior of each player on track. What hurts the reputation of a player is not only the frequency of incidents, but also temper comes into play with things such as a tendency to rage quit. The reputation will slowly rise (or drop) as more races are recorded until reaching a stable and accurate value.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know. The ranked system is under constant review, please remember it's still very much a beta feature. Different combinations of race type and requirements have and are being tried in order to gain information on how player count etc are affected. What you see now is definitely not the finished article.

Regarding people who purposely cause crashes, if you can please submit a video via discord. They will more than likely receive a ban from the game, temporary or permanent depending on severity of the crime.

14. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I have seen this before but what is ELO rating system? Knowing that may help me understand. Or maybe not lol

15. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    From what I understand, the basics are these. Your rating increases when you win and decreses when you lose. The number of points you gain or lose depends on the rating of your opponents: beating a higher rated opponent gives more points that a lower rated one; losing to a higher rated opponent doesn't drop you as much as losing to a lower rated opponent.

Ideally you should end up with a rating that reflects your level of skill (compared to other people) and doesn't change much besides occasional fluctiations, if your skill stays the same.

16. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Is the ELO system applied to in TA/Leaderboard in "Competitions", Hot laps", "Leaderboards Challenge", "non-Ranked multiplayer", etc.? Or just in "Ranked"?

"Nash"

18. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just ranked servers

19. Nash Bobo

Nash Bobo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks ravey1981

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That's what I did. Surprisingly, top Google articles are too long and too broad for what could be described in a just couple of sentences.

Asking people is fine too. Last time I checked, that's what forums are for.