Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As someone who owns and uses both systems (AccuForce and OSW-SimuCube), each has their own advantages. What some see as a negative (SimCommander complexity), others see as a positive (SimCommander versatility).

Both systems are very capable but, I do feel that the AccuForce gets something of a bad-rep that is undeserved due to it's stepper-motor. With a good tune, the AccuForce can be very smooth but, some find the tuning process too tedious for their liking. It doesn't have to be complex; it's just a matter of focusing on the fundamental FFB settings - just like any other wheel. Then there's the Auto-tune feature that can get you close to optimal settings with some additional smoothing needed for those that prefer that glorious "rubber tire" feel that DD-wheels do so well.

The SimuCube system does provide slightly improved definition and more punch in general but, those differences are not enough for me to say which is the clear winner but, I understand that others may feel differently.

Back to back comparisons between the two systems will reveal noticeable differences but, most of those differences become a non-issue in actual use because we adapt to the hardware and feedback over time anyway. In truth, the AccuForce and the OSW can be tuned in similar ways with similar results up the point where shear torque takes over but, few players are likely to use all of it because there is a natural limit where too much torque negatively affects our ability to drive effectively. Of course, that limit varies for each user but, the average user is not likely to need 100% torque of either system imo.

I love both of these DD-systems but, when using the OSW, I really miss having the SimCommander tuning options; especially with titles like iRacing, Dirt Rally (1&2). If SimXperience ever offers a DD-wheel using a more robust servo-motor, I would switch from the OSW in a heartbeat because the bump in fidelity (servo-motor) combined with SimCommander versatility would be the ultimate DD-system for me.

At the price-point of the AccuForce, it's an excellent choice for those that can buy without incurring high shipping and/or VAT. Otherwise, another DD may make more sense depending on region.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Glad your enjoying it, I think a lot of people with say a Fanny V2.5 would not think that going a DD wheel would be much of an upgrade mainly due to the fact that a Fantec base and rim can run you as much as a lower end DD wheel but price has nothing to do with it as you have found, I bought my V1 AF about 12 months ago and would not go back to a belt driven wheel.

DD prices have come down a lot now, you can get a simplicity 12nm and a rim for just over a grand, much better than any belt driven wheel out there, I think Fanatec suits a lot of people though with there integrated system, OSW scares a few people off and it shouldn't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I too found the standard AF 320mm felt a lot bigger than it actually is, I got given an old G25 rim off a club member and modded it, think it's 280mm and conveys the FFB a lot better, I am on the lookout for a 300mm one now so I have a nice size selection.

I did actually have a modded Fanatec Formula Carbon but found that the force of the DD was a bit strong and letting go sometimes cracked me on the knuckles, it was also a tad too small.

My G25 mod, replaced gaffer tape with carbon fibre wrap.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Yes, theres definitely no going back, and until you feel it you wont really appreciate the difference, a whole new ball game!

Part of the problem for me was damping, friction and spring that i couldnt get rid of in game, but using SC4 and adding game FFB effects then turning off all 4 sliders had a huge impact, the wheel reacts much faster with better overall turn in, it has made quite a big difference in the speed of the wheel.
    Its amazing how the difference in the same rim feels so huge when just the base is changed, I have a cheap 285mm rim being delivered today so hopefully that will make a bit of a difference, probably going to order a 300mm and keep the one i prefer the turn\feel of the most.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Yeah! and a lot of good that turned out to be with the massive button box on the Accuforce, it just fills the rim cant even get my fingers in ;)

6. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    You got a pic?

I used a 20/25mm spacer to bring the rim out further to give space otherwise my knuckles hit the paddles and my thumbs were tight between the button box, you just have to get 3 longer bolts, think standard are 45mm, I bought 65mm.

7. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I`ll take a couple on and off the BBox tomorrow and upload them, i tried a spacer with the original bolts but not enough, will pick 3 65mm up tomorrow should be ok then.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Just checked it was a 15mm spacer I used so whatever length the original bolts are just add the width of the spacer. The originals are indeed 45mm M5 Socket Head so I got 60mm ones.

9. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Ballache this was, couldnt remember my imgur details a sign im getting old ;) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Off for the bolts in a minute also going to pick up some foam handle bar grips to bulk the rim a bit probably adds another 15mm to the size, but the small size like the formula rim will make my hands\fingers cramp up in a few minutes of use.

Edit - Not sure of the size but i used 2 8mm deep nuts for packing along with the handle bar grip makes a huge difference in how it feels in your hand!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit 2 - So after a few laps can honestly say im right back in my comfort zone, smaller rim is much more comfortable than the 320mm was, still think im gonna try a 300mm and keep my prefered.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  10. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Nice job, you are pretty much where I am at with the spacing, you can get a ring spacer for about 7 quid, keeps the dust out, I am also on the lookout for 300mm one so will let you know if I find one.

11. Not Lifting Off

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Loads of cheap 300mm on ebay, you can tell how cheap by the centre mark on that 285 one i bought :)

• Like Like x 1