Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    All componets are now living:) in a Antec - ISK600.
    Found a nice guide and everything needed to perfection this.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Well done! But you need to clean up the cables now :D
    So you did a complete DiY from scratch? Respect!

3. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    :p you sound like my wife:):):):)
    Got a pre-tested and assembled kit from Ollie. Had to head over to iracing forum for more info, guidance etc....
    Next is a dashboard to mount on the back of Martin Ascher's buttonplate. With the BOSCH DDU8 as dash;):cool::p

4. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey @FunkyChicken that display you are using seems to be nice.
    Looking to have a display mounted on the buttonplate. Any chance of some pictures how you have this done.
    HRS in Australia is also coming out with a new display for around 380AUD + plus shipping:( or a more DIY kit with a kind of universal mount for the mige.

5. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Kurt Vanhee
    It's a rather simple SLI from Renovatio: SRD-9, but works perfectly and the Software supports (nearly) all common sims. They have a little discount at the moment, so it's available for 79€ including all internal cables and connectors. If you need separate USB connector, this comes on top.
    They provide a cutting template which I used to design the carbon plate.

Not sure if it's due to the overall setup or the SLI, but luckily I'm not suffering from button ghosting like some people do with an OSW.

I can send you some pics via PM

Attached Files:

6. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hi thanx for the info. When googling that display this came up
    http://www.simracingdepot.com/srd9c

I was looking for a plate to put at the back of the buttonplate and before the Holger Buchfink QR.
    Or maybe just a plate with 3 holes and attach it with the top3 holes of the release.
    If that makes sense:)
    That usb kit is to connect to the interior of the buttonplate?
    Just a mini-usb to connect and to work.

you can sent pics through skype aswell if you want.

7. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Check the wheel mounting options for the display. Maybe one of those might work for your setup.
    The little USB adapter is useful if you plan to integrate the display into the button plate. In your case you don't need it ;)

8. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I've had to increase all of my steering locks to about 30 in game in order to get the proper steering response from my inputs. One thing I'm struggling with is what to edit in SimCommander vs R3E. I had the spring up to 15% to give a good progressive resistance, but I feel its too elastic. I tried increasing friction (20%) and lowering spring, but I'm still not where I want to be as the steering wheel still wants to snap back in place to strongly.

I also ran into an issue last night and I'm not sure if its due my tweaking the .RCS file or just coincidence. A tuning guide for the Accuforce with R3E (http://selah.ca/simxperience-accuforce-pro-steering-system/) said there are FF issues as the game is not outputting with DD wheels in mind, so I made the suggested edit here:
    Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet\File.rcs (where File.rcs is the name of your controller profiler in-game) and when I try to start the game back up I'm now getting a 12007 error. I feel like I've got this error once in the past and it went away when I restarted my computer. Last night it remained even after a restart. Is this just a coincidence or did I cause an issue?

9. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    @switchface editing the .rcs file shouldn't result in any errors; at least non that prevents you from starting the sim. I read from other people having problems connecting, so it's way more a coincidence.

Regarding the spring/friction/etc. settings: where did you changed them? In-game, in SimCom or both, as in the guide?
    I would go for just for one spot to change spring and/or friction; either in-game or SimCom.

Have you changed these settings to 0.0 in the .rcs file? (they are below the FFB block)
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Saturation Pos="0.0" // DirectInput Saturation to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Coefficient Pos="0.0" // DirectInput Coefficient to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Saturation Neg="0.0" // DirectInput Saturation to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Coefficient Neg="0.0" // DirectInput Coefficient to use for spring

They set spring and friction in-game to 0 and start setting these values just in SimCom.

I don't know the AF but maybe this works. That's how I set up my OSW.

10. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    @Kurt Vanhee thats a beautiful Ascher wheel plate. I need to have one built (from Ascher, Sam Maxwell, or SimFai) too, but I'm still deciding how many/what buttons I want/need. Most wheels have so many buttons, but when I'm racing, I think I'll rarely use most of them so I want to keep it simple.

I really like the rotary knobs in the hand location that SimFai has, but I'm digging the Precision Design Works shifters that Sam is now using. That Ascher plate looks top quality though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I figured it was coincidence, but man, what a 5 minute window coincidence to make your brain start turning.

No, this was my first time ever editing a .RCS file. I'm nervous doing any tweaking like that. I don't even update my Nvidea driver as I did it once and it turned my system on its head. I have a baseline setting in SimCommander but was adjusting the spring/friction settings in game. If I change those settings to what you have listed above, does that render the in-game adjustments void?

I just want the steering to have some weight to it and be responsive. As it stands now, a 'deadzone' is the wrong was to describe it, but there is a minute amount of 'slack' before tension builds in the wheel, then it gets heavy, but then it vanishes and sort of pendulums back on me with too much force. For example, if I was driving down a straight, if I were to yank the wheel heavily to the right, the wheel would swing back to the left with so much force that it would start an endless see-sawing motion until the car crashed. Unrealistic.

12. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Now I got it! Be patient ;) This is a known issue and will be fixed soon. We will get a minimum force slider. This will fix the lack of force being applied once no further (lateral) force is present.
    Till then, keep on driving like in old movies ... turning left and right on a straight without any real consequences :D

13. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    What good is a thread without photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  14. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Here are my settings i am using at the moment for DTM2015.

Mmos DTM2015.PNG
    Ingame steering lock is 18. Started with 22 but makes the car/me more spin. !8 for me is perfect to make my corners.

ingame settings dtm2015.PNG
    Dropped Force Feedback Intensity to 85. More realistic to me for longer drives. If you want a proper work-out make it 100:p
    ingame ffb settings dtm2015.PNG
    This gives me the best car feeling. Only thing i want/need to improve is when loosing front grip.
    Someone who knows how to manage/feel this/

Force feedback effect settings have been tested separately but have to this again:confused:
    Lost my thoughts about this.

Ohw, forget to say i used @FunkyChicken .rcs fwd profile.
    I was not able to properly setup a controller profile. Feedback i got was the opposite of what i was doing/ wanted to do. :eek: Yes indeed just like my wife:rolleyes::p:p

15. Papifix

Papifix Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @ Kurt Vanhee, I have the same attitude in MMoss like you. Your Ingame steering lock 18 I'll try it, had spin so far 23 and at corner exit some.

What are you going for a motor. I have a Lenze and can drive a maximum of 40% FFB Intensity in R3E.

These values are with me unlike Funky Chicken, all on 0.0
    FFB steer friction coefficient="0.0" // Coefficient to use for steering friction. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer friction saturation="0.0" // Saturation value to use for steering friction. Range: 0 - 1.0
    FFB steer damper coefficient="0.0" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer damper saturation="0.0" // Saturation value to use for steering damper. Range: 0 - 1.0

16. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Basic steering lock is ok, but everyone has his preference.

I have a small Mige and reduced it to 85 for single races, mp sessions. 100 for 30 minutes is almost undoable and besides it feels smoother @85.

Have not looked at thse values.

Maybe we can meet up on ts/skype/steam with some osw-owners to talk/share/discuss some settings.

17. FunkyChicken

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    @Papifix : you need to set the degrees of rotation in MMos first and adjust the lock manually in-game. e.g. 23 lock @ 540°.
    For the friction and damper settings you can ignore the saturation, once the coefficient is set to 0. In any case it's better to use the MMos settings for these "effects".

Regarding the strength it's really a personal preference and depends on the length of the race and the car, as Kurt wrote. When it comes to realism, don't be shy to increase the FFB :D I read post from people running the Lenze motor (approx. 20 Nm) and also tested real race cars, who claimed 100% FFB equals the real world for some cars.
    I'm running the big MiGE at round 16-20 Nm.
    Btw. where are you from? Germany? If so, take a look at the virtualracing.org forum (this is where the OSW comes from ;) ) There are lots of discussions around R3E and OSW.

18. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    considering DDW & OSW are supposed to be all the rage at the moment this thread lost momentum very quickly.:(
    I have all my Bits on order finally. Hoping to join the DDW owners club in about a months time.;)
    I hope it can live up to the Hype.

19. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    It might have something to do with the price range, don't you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Does the devs have a DD-wheel? (@Sector3)