Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Kurt Vanhee

Kurt Vanhee Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Normally the servo is a lifetime product;)
    And after hours of racing you get some free extra muscle:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bobby Edge

Bobby Edge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    For a while I was looking at something like the TX base or a Fanatec wheel. But for a bit more I've decided I'd like to have a DD/Servo wheel that I know(hopefully) will for a long time / not have me wanting to "upgrade" again. I've been very busy with work / put it off - but considering it again.

What is the current recommendation for the best bang for your buck? I'm on a G27 now - so anything is better. But I'd really like more torque/FFB overall and having fidelity with that increase in output. I don't mind DIY - but want something reputable with support for initial setup.

3. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
  4. Bobby Edge

Bobby Edge Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yes I am - I've heard good things about the MiGE. I'm in the U.S. (if that changes things)?

Are there any companies here who offered a pre-assembled and tested unit? Is it worth it or are you better off going the DIY route?

Thanks very much for the response and I appreciate your time.

5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0

I really would like to have one of those DD wheels. But lifetime? Haven't at least two of them been upgraded with new motors and other stuff? Already! I don't think the development ends with these wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. matteman

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Direct Drive Wheel Kit (MiGE/IONI) – Sim-plicity
    hybridracingsimulations.com.au
    Try these. I ordered mine from HybridRacingSimulations but i am in Australia. Brett will send to US, not sure of freight though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. matteman

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure Lifetime refers to the life of the individual components. The beauty of a DD Servo controller box is that you can upgrade you motor and run it off the same servo box. I think:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  9. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Bobby - depending on the country, some of the OSW DIY builds can be a good bang for the buck. Call Joe Sullivan for more info, he's a great guy.

I didn't feel too comfortable with the DIY aspect of the OSW (for now), so I went with the Accuforce from SimXperience. I saved money by not getting the Pro model. I paid $1250 during their sale and it came with a Momo Mod30 and then added my own quick release (Q1R). I was already dealing with SimCommander for my stage 4 motion and SimVibe, so it was worth it to me to have a more tried and tested offering. I'm sure the Bodner and top end OSW setups are better, but I'm quite happy with the setup at the price point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I've had my Accuforce Pro for nearly a year and really glad I bought it as I have enjoyed my sim racing more than ever using this wheel. I had a string of different wheels including four different Fanatec all of which failed in one way or another, several different Thrustmaster and couple of Logitechs. Like someone said the Bodnar & OSW apparently are stronger but I could not imagine using anything stronger than this as I never run it at the highest settings. I am not small nor am I weak but this thing can put out decent amount of torque and give you sore arms/wrists/hands in quick time if you crank it up. Great wheel, awesome software to run it and good support and forums at simx. No regrets. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have an AccuForce Pro with Mod30 rim and love it, rarely have I run it at it's highest strength (just as a test). It's amazing to me how much using a DD wheel has elevated the immersion and my enjoyment in Sim-racing. It also spurred my interest in adding tactile feedback to my rig and that is really great to have as well.:)

There are a couple of titles that I use only the Foundation FFB for (Dirt Rally and Pcars); otherwise, the game FFB works great for most other titles with minimal tuning in SC4 (I refer to MockRacer's AF Guide).

RaceRoom is the only game that I have struggled with regarding FFB; it feels quite numb and center-spring dominant using the AF and game FFB with almost no details coming through at all. I've tried extensive tuning using the game settings and have never achieved anything close to satisfactory results. I've also tried using Foundation FFB but, it seems there just isn't enough data in the telemetry coming through to drive most effects in SC4. I'd welcome any suggestions on ideas to solve this for RR.

I do have a SimuCube controller coming in May for a future OSW build because I have to see what the OSW owners rave about so much for myself!:D I'll also want to add a QR, custom button-box and display to the wheel.

If you want a top-of-the-line ready-to-run Direct-drive system, then the SimSteering2 by Leo Bodnar is the hot ticket. :eek:

The OSW options seem great and flexible while able to meet a wide range of budgets although, it's worth mentioning that the entry-level AF (RTR or DIY versions available) can be had for around the $1200 USD ballpark.

• Like Like x 1
  12. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Anybody having problems after the update with a OSW??

13. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    For my Accuforce, I used to have my DoR set to 900 in SimCommander and Steering Lock set to 30. With the new update, some cars (GT3 and Radicals for example) cannot go up to 30 any longer and do not feel right with 900 DoR. It was suggested I try 540/15, which did feel right, but then the DTM92 (my fav) felt off.

Isn't there a way that either SimCommander or the game can adjust automatically?

If not, is there a way I can save the settings for groups of cars so when I hop in the DTM92 I have 900/30 but when I'm in a GT3 it changes to 540/15?

14. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately there is no setting for the Accuforce that does what you want, not yet anyway but perhaps soon some profile might get made as Berney told on the forums that Sector3 were sent an AF several weeks ago. I have DoR at 840 which feels good for me and I change the steering lock per car - it is good enough until we get a fully working profile specific to AF.

15. GeniFx

GeniFx New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any one have a good setting for the osw with smale mige. In mmos and in game? Got min up and runing today. Just need to ho to the Mail office to Get my pedal adaptor

16. switchface

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Really loving the GT3 Ruf in R3E lately.

Here are my settings if anyone wants to give it a whirl:

SimCommander 4

Device settings

Responsive wheel mode
    Intensity 100%
    Smoothing 1.18%
    Degrees of rotation 540
    Stop spring 6%
    Stop damper 0%

Effects

Game FF 100%
    Game FF smoothing 1.57%
    AF fluid dampening 7.45%
    AF friction 7.45%
    Dynamic oscillation control stationary 100%
    Dynamic oscillation control moving 100%

In R3E

Advanced settings

Steering sensitivity 75%
    Steering dead zone 0%

Force Feedback

FF intensity 100%
    Smoothing 0%
    FF Spring 0%
    FF damper 0%

Steering force intensity 45%
    FF minimum force 0%
    Unde steer 35%
    Vertical load 100%
    Lateral force 80%
    Steering rack 50%

Slip effect 25%
    Engine vibrations 0%
    Keen vibrations 20%
    Shift effect 80%

I hope this helps. Let me know if you tweak it for any improvements, I'm always open for suggestions.

17. matteman

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    @GeniFx
    Here are my current settings. My OSW motor is closer to a Large Mige (HRS Big Block) but my settings may give you a decent starting point. Also i have a Hi Res Encoder (10k), which may also be different.Of course we all have different preferences to what we want to "feel".
    In R3E
    Advanced settings

Steering sensitivity 35%
    Steering dead zone 2%

Force Feedback
    FF intensity 65%
    Smoothing 10%
    FF Spring 0%
    FF damper 5%

Steering force intensity 110%
    FF minimum force 0%
    Unde steer 35%
    Vertical load 70%
    Lateral force 60%
    Steering rack 15%

Slip effect 35%
    Engine vibrations 0%
    Keen vibrations 40%
    Shift effect 0%

MMOS
    Steering Stop

Gain 64.90%
    Max Force 100%

Force Settings
    Overall Filter 7
    Min Force 0.00%
    Max Force 80.68%

Effect Filter - All 3 Off
    Desktop and User Effect - Off

Tips:
    *Use the in game FFB meter to fine tune your FFB. Try to avoid heavy clipping, a "small" amount is OK
    *If you want a "heavier" wheel turn up your max force in the MMOS and turn down the in game forces. This should give you a ton of weight and feel without clipping.
    * A small amount of Smoothing & Dampening will also help with clipping.

I am also open to suggestions and advice on FFB settings.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  18. GeniFx

GeniFx New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @matteman
    Thank you. Will try it out. Tweeking is always nesesary but its alot easyer with a good bace line. Thanks man!

• Like Like x 1
  19. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    These are for a big MiGE, so some adjustments might be necessary. MMos screenshot and the FFB section of the .rcs file. I made some further edits which are not available in-game (such as front/rear grip distribution, impact effects, etc.)

[​IMG]

FFB Device Name="none"
    FFB Device Name Alternative="none"
    FFB Rumble Pad="0
    FFB Gain="0.85"
    FFB Min Force="0.05"
    FFB Min Force Linear Percentage="0.01"
    FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1"
    FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1"
    FFB stationary friction="0.0"
    FFB stationary friction speed="0.1"
    FFB steer vibe freq mult="1.0"
    FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.0"
    FFB steer vibe slope="0.0"
    FFB steer vibe wave type="0"
    FFB steer force average weight="1.0"
    FFB steer force exponent="1.0"
    FFB steer force input max="11500.0"
    FFB steer force output max="0.65"
    FFB steer force grip weight="1.0"
    FFB steer force front grip exponent="0.4
    FFB steer force rear grip exponent="0.8"
    FFB steer damper coefficient="0.0"
    FFB steer damper saturation="1.0"
    FFB steer force balance mode="0"
    FFB steer load multiplier="0.7"
    FFB steer lateral multiplier="0.6"
    FFB steer rack factor="0.4"
    FFB steer load change exponent="0.95"
    FFB steer load change breakpoint="1.0"
    FFB steer spring coefficient="0.0"
    FFB throttle vibe freq mult="1.0"
    FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.0"
    FFB throttle vibe slope="0.0"
    FFB throttle vibe wave type="0"
    FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.1"
    FFB rumble strip freq mult="2.0"
    FFB rumble strip wave type="0"
    FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.2"
    FFB jolt magnitude="0.05"
    FFB shift jolt magnitude="0.0"
    FFB shift effect duration="0.05"
    FFB slip effect="0.15"
    ffb slip freq multiplier="1.0"
    ffb slip wave type="0"

File Version="3"
    DeviceName[00]="MMos ForceFeedback 2014"
    DeviceId[00]="(268169301, -1, -1, 0)"
    Axis [00, 00] Dead Zone="0.0"
    Axis [00, 00] Sensitivity="0.5"
    Axis [00, 00] Center="0.5"
    Axis [00, 00] Range="1.0"
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Saturation Pos="0.0" // DirectInput Saturation to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Coefficient Pos="0.0" // DirectInput Coefficient to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Saturation Neg="0.0" // DirectInput Saturation to use for spring
    FFB Joy[00] Axis[00] Spring Coefficient Neg="0.0" // DirectInput Coefficient to use for spring

I will fine-tune these settings soon based on my recent experience in some real race cars ;)
    The curbs for example: you don't really feel them in the wheel. With a motion unit you can simulate the rumble coming from the drivetrain, what's way more realistic. Same for smaller bumps.

@matteman : Steering deadzone on a servo drive????? non-linear steering sensitivity??? really??? These are options you don't need for a servo!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  20. matteman

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Hi FC. Perhaps you can educate me a little?

Mate, the reason i have a small amount of dead zone is to eliminate straight line wobble in my motion seat. The slightest movement in the wheel results in the seat moving side to side. Not sure how else to remove this effect / problem?
    35% Steering Sensitivity allows me to reach full lock sooner, especially in tight corners without the wheel being twitchy in a straight line?
    Can i ask why we don't need theses settings ?
    As i mention i am always open to suggestions and advice.
    Cheers.