Any DD/Servo wheels out there on R3E (AF, OSW, Bodner)??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by switchface, Nov 18, 2015.

1. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Hi @matteman
    Sorry, was busy the last days.

Which kind of motion do you use? Sounds strange that you need to adjust the wheels FFB to avoid wobbling on the motion. No chance to edit the motion behaviour outside the sim?
    Servo wheels don't have any deadzone by nature. A deadzone on a wheel is the result of flex and tolerances inside the gears and/or belt construction on consumer wheels.
    The only occasion where a deadzone might become useful on a servo is a bad implementation of FFB within the game with little to no FFB around the centre position.
    In R3E this can be eliminated by a small amount of min. FFB.

For the sensitivity I can't follow?!? 50 % is linear, while lower values mean less sensitivity. How can you reach full lock sooner with less sensitivity? I recommend to adjust the steering range based on the driven car and to increase the steering lock slightly if you're having problems with tight corners. The cars behave pretty realistic, so if you don't get the corner properly, it might be an issue with the car setup or you're too fast ;)

Cheers
    Alex

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 1978rocafella

1978rocafella Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    hi all, since today i am a OSw owner and member of the OSw community! but have no clue what and how to setup OSw in and for R3E...any guides or help? would greatly appreciate it. (OSw Lenze MCS12 29Nm 12H15) thank you all!

3. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I use both an AccuForce and OSW with RR and so far, I have not had good results with RR; it's by far, the worst FFB of any title I play but, hopefully, other here can help with settings.

For AccuForce users: SimXperience is said to be working with S3 to develop better results and hopefully, some of that will also benefit OSW users and DD in general

In regard to what FFB feel sets the standard for me: rF2 > AMS > iRacing > AC > Dirt Rally > Pcars > RR
    AMS is close to Rf2 with either wheel but, Dirt Rally and Pcars both benefit from using SimCommander FFB over game FFB when using the AccuForce

4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Thinking about taking the plunge:
    OSW small Mige / Simucube from TOMO (SimRacingBay)
    to replace my Fanatec V2.
    Adapting the two Fanatec wheels by means of Teensy for OSW.

Is OSW worth the hassle for R3E ? Also driving in pCars and AC, Not taking the iRacing path for several reasons.
    All info welcome... ;)

5. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Is the OSW worth the hassle? If you like great FFB - then the answer is . . . Absolutely!

While I'm not getting the best FFB from R3E as I do with other titles, it's still miles better than with the other wheels I've owned. R3E FFB still has some inconsistencies that limit how DD-wheels can be used although, I've not tested using the AccuForce yet since the last update. Some of the impact events are too strong and can cause what appears to be a spike in the FFB; these events are out of proportion with the rest of the effects when compared to FFB of other titles.

Having said that, the FFB that a DD-wheel provides can add so much more immersion and enjoyment to your Sim-racing, it can certainly be a game-changer. It may improve your lap-times a little - maybe but, it should definitely improve your enjoyment in a big way IMO.

Both AC and Pcars respond well with the OSW although, for Pcars, I still prefer using SimCommander (AccuForce) FFB and find it to be far easier to tune than Pcars FFB; if you are familiar with how Pcars FFB works, then you should do well. With AC, you want to use very low FFB gain settings to avoid soft-clipping but, with the power of the OSW available, it's not an issue. The FFB may feel harsh with AC at first but, it's easy to eliminate that with some filtering applied by trial & error.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    @KudBkuik
    Thanks for the info.
    It is mainly the immersion I'm after. I doubt an OSW set will make me faster.
    I heard rumors SimCommander could eventually make it to Simucube too... If not, I'll tweak FFB in pCars. Far from an expert, but I managed to get very good feel on the V2.
    Good to hear about your findings ! ;)

7. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    @Fanapryde
    Don't be so sure about the "not making you faster" part; I've read plenty of cases where it can but, better consistency is a pretty sure bet. ;)

I've read the rumors about SC4 support and SimX have hinted that they are working on some new things; that'd be great to have but, remains to be seen if it happens. Having used both systems, it would be a superb combination IMO - not that the AF is bad, it's not quite as robust as the OSW/small Mige system though. The DIY-version AF will be on special for Black Friday @$900usd though - a nice deal, especially for those in the states.

The increased immersion alone is worth the price of admission to DD-wheel use, x10 easily. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    That did it :D
    My "Tomo" OSW set is on it's way.

http://www.simracingbay.com/product-category/osw-assembled-builds/

I chose for the CM110 case, and the 480W power supply.
    Two sets Teensy / coiled USB cord / cable glands to adapt my two Fanatec wheels.
    Tomo has forwarded "some" instructions for the setup. The set has been fully tested before shipping, but there is still lots of stuff to download, install and tweak...
    Excited and a little bit scared though...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    The emergency stop button would scare me too, how to press when your hands are gone ;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing to fear; you can start with 50% strength and gradually work your way up until you trust the system and get settings dialed in. Learning Granity and MMos settings takes a bit of experimentation but, there's nothing to it once you have the basic parameters set; then it's just a matter of Force strength, Filter and Game-FFB settings.

The only thing I had pre-assembled for my build were the cables to the motor, the rest I did DIY and it was very simple. Having yours pre-built and tested should be a big help. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.
    My fear is not about the strength though...it's the software setup that is my main concern here (and converting the two wheels too - I am not very skilled in soldering and electronics tbh...)

But the offer is accepted :D if I get stuck...

12. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I can probably help you with the software; not so much with the wheel conversion although, I'd be interested to learn more about such things.

I'm using a DSD button box with the Momo and it works well except for USB dis-connect issues which I may have solved. The USB socket on the button box is a bit sloppy so the cable can pull the connector at slight angles causing temporary dis-connect's. My short-term fix was to use some aluminum duct-sealing tape to form a bracket of sorts, to keep the cable end in-line and it seems to be working nicely.

I do like the Fanatec wheels and converting one of those seems like an interesting project. In the meantime, I'm building a custom dash that I can use with either steering system; understanding the electronic circuitry involved is the main challenge I'm having. :confused::)

13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I have the Race King Led and maybe DSD has changed the sockets, since mine is pretty firm.
    As Tomo told me, he provides a Teensy connector, that just clips in on the Fanatec internal board, no soldering needed. But I will have to drill a hole in the back cover for the USB cable, which also means I will need to cut the cable and resolder it after I have fiddled it through the cable gland.

14. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Well, as i t turns out, I will not get stuck, since I returned the complete set. Though the Fanatec conversion was seemingly simple, it is not without issues. A friend had his wheels converted by SRB (same set) and there was an issue with EMI. This and the fact that I could get no support if something went wrong with the conversion (also voiding Fanatecs warranty) made me decide to wait a bit longer until there is a real plug and play version available.

15. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Anyone care to share their Accuforce/SimCommander/R3E settings now that native support has been implemented and all of my previous settings are garbage?

16. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Anyone got setting for OSW Wheel to share , cheers .

17. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hi Joe, TBH - I'm struggling to get good results with the OSW in R3E. I tested using the AccuForce recently and was pleasantly surprised at how well the Sector3 AccuForce profile turned out; the only adjustments needed were to increase the force settings. I just haven't managed to figure out a good setup for the OSW (SimuCube /Small Mige).

AC, AMS and rF2 are working great with the OSW but, R3E and Dirt Rally - not so much. I'm hoping the new Granity FW solves some issues with these titles but, Dirt Rally with SimCommander FFB is so much better than the game FFB. I hope we can eventually get something similar for the OSW.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi KudBkuik , thank for the quick reply :) any how I got my problem sorted ---- every time before the race start my wheel FFB would be buzzing ( very annoying ) but in the mmos FFB settings I changed ( Friction Filter ) to 100 fixed it , the feel and force feed back feel so much better but I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvements .

----------------mmos setting-------------- below .
    Max force 50%
    Dampen filter 20%
    Friction Filter 100% .

I haven't tried SimCommander yet , so hopeing that works with no added bugs .

• Like Like x 1
  19. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    SimXperience and Sector3 recently worked together to improve AF-FFB and Simvibe effects so I think most of those should work fine. Being I have the SimuCube-based OSW, we don't use any MMos filters aside from the Overall one.

Glad to see that you are getting things working though. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    OSW Settings
    Might help others , or if you can improve please post .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2