Any one-eyed VR users?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Don Rudi, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have heard so many good things about VR, maybe I have to bite that apple somewhen.
    My problem is - I basically just look with my left eye (right eye has a mere 10-15% vision and basically just acts as a motion sensor. So I do not think VR would really work? Gosh, I even bought Gran Turismo for the PS4 and thought of getting the PS4 VR set just to try it, before I spend more than 1000€ on VR for the PC (but I could withold myself so far).

So my question - are there any one-eyed drivers here who can share their experiences with VR sets?

2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don’t know if VR could work for you. I think you have to try it, as you said. Perhaps there are guys living next to you, who can offer you a test drive. I’m living in Hannover, so it’s a little bit far away, for just passing by (and I only have a DK2, but I don’t think this matters, because it’s not about resolution, but the tech itself)...
    Another option would be to rent a headset. I just know of this service, but I have no experience with it...

https://getgrover.com/de-de/products/oculus-rift-vr-5221

3. Svennixx

Svennixx Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    There are multiple features that come with VR that makes it "immersive" the main 2 things are (head)movement and 3D vision. Since 3D in VR rely's on 2 screens, 1 for each eye, you might not get the full experience. It could actually be a bit weird since you still got vision in the "blind" eye but only a little. So you will see the light of the screen.

But ye give it a try in a store or rent one.
    I'd say go for 3 big screens and some kind of head tracking device if VR doesn't work out for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Like Svennixx says it's definitely a try before you buy situation. If your right eye gives you a modicum of depth perception VR could still offer some benefits, but it's a large price to pay when you factor in all the current generation downsides to VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You might try a cheap option and buy a cheap cardboard compatible vr headset and try it with trinus vr app. At least you'd know if it works for under 20 euro.

• Agree Agree x 1