Apologies!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Feb 28, 2021.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I would very much like to apologise to all in the GTR3 race at RBR last evening. I was on pole (miracle) and you may all think what happened next was strange to say the least. Here is what happened at my end, as I braked for turn one my steering wheel snapped in two pieces, well almost, it was hanging on by a thread at the bottom. So the 360 at turn one was unavoidable, trouble was I'd spun back into traffic, at speed, so went with the flow onto turn two, this time with damage to suspension to add to my woes. Inevitably I again rotated this time wiping out a few with me. I sat at side of track to let all pass, whilst rearranging my wheel, I continued slowly at first but got the hang of squeezing the two halves of the wheel together and gained pace each remaining lap, right up to the point at turn two again, braking point again the wheel finally gave up and became two independent parts, unfortunately I rear ended a chap in the Turner BMW, I did apologise but I think he was to busy ramming me into disqualification. This was a Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 wheel by the way, hardly a flimsy piece of kit. It's now on the kitchen worktop in (oh my) a lot of pieces and the glues out, wish me luck! Apologies again to all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Don't try it, it's almost impossible to get a decent result. The kind of plastik they used is'nt very well to be glued. It will break again, garanteed.

3. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I know bud, I have a 599 rim that disintegrated, spent ages finding and then gluing it all back together, bloody things never worked since. :rolleyes: What I have found with repairing crappy injection moulded plastics is to laminate, I use a 0.75mm steel sheet, using as many layers as possible. Nearly everything I own is either glued or gaffer taped up, which means it's me that is the problem, have constant numb hands, so don't realise how hard I'm holding anything, either crush things or drop 'em.
    Put it this way I either attempt a repair or give up racing and start saving. I don't hold out much hope of succeeding but one must try, already missing driving and it's only been a couple days.

Attached Files:

4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I dont know if you got this sorted but there is a guy with a couple of thrustmaster rims for sale on RD.
    Just an FYI

5. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I've once purchased a broken F1 addon wheel. Right handle and center plate was cracked, shifter did'nt work.

Dsc_0112.jpg

So i took it apart and tried to fix and improve it a little. Two and a half years and 450€ later this was the result...

Dsc_0745_Galerie.jpg Dsc_0743_Galerie.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  6. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Sweet! :cool:
    My arthritic hands won't allow me much more fun than squirting things full of glue and hoping these days. :D
    It is still going the old TM F1 wheel, have had to bolster things up a bit with a couple stainless cable ties, looks awful but appears to be doing the trick. The other problem of late of course is trying to buy a replacement rim is tricky as everywhere, including the manufacturers are short on stock. Do quite fancy going Fannytec to match my pedals but unfortunately I've already sold all saleable organs and the kids won't let me sell them, probably because they're in their thirty's now, so I shall just plod on with what I have, does the job, just!