Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoccoTTS, May 25, 2019.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You are right, my mistake - 66% is ACC.
    60% is still record low and all DLC are record low (Monza and RIng) or equal record low price. Seems the DLC content goes to 75% off a year after release so Spa is not 75% by a matter of days but the Ring made it since Black Friday. Supposing 75% is the max discount then 3 DLCs are at that rate already.

For 50% off it seems they don´t have a set rule.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I just got it and from a little test drive it really feels and looks quiet nice. Does anyone know how to get a shifter running (Heusinkvelt) ? In the configuration setup I can assign it but the moment I go on the track it doesn't work (only standard paddle configuration for my Fanatec wheel works)...
    Thx ;)

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    Try rerunning diview , then assign it when di view is running

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  4. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Didn't work out but thx anyway Andi - back to paddle shifting, np at all. I would also welcome Track-IR support, but the implemented Helmet Camera in addition with look-to-apex does a good and immersive job for now.
    After getting hooked for half a night I have to say that with AMS2 it becomes even more obvious how urgently RRE needs an overhaul in terms of an advanced gfx engine to keep pace with current simracing titles...
    AMS 2 is most accessable (like RRE) has a good variety of cars and tracks, having a few rounds of V8-Stockcar Racing at Long Beach was really a blast tonight incl. a surprisingly well programmed AI, good basic FFB (didn't fiddle around much so far) and a quiet decent sounddesign.
    Okay there are surely a few things to improve at this point but the devs seem to be quiet busy and productive.
    I btw. was quiet impressed with the work of Reiza before, when I've got their trackpack and a few cars for rFactor 2..
    On a first glance AMS2 seems to combine the best aspects of rFactor, ACC and RRE and while a few years back I might have said that grafics don't matter, I stand corrected : At the current state of 2021simracing and without applying suitable technology you miss so much warmth, atmosphere and immersion - not only dynamic weather changes and time of day transition but simply how the whole enviroment interacts with you sitting in the cockpit - even if you talk about how the light falls alone.
    In this regard it doesn't matter how much fine tuning Anthony will bring to the soundscape, or how precise and realistic the physics engine and features will work . There's no way around: Sector 3 has to bring their product up to date and the upcoming 10 Year anniversary might be the best time to do it...or else I fear a lot of fans and supporters might wander off over time - me including ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. olli green

olli green Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    TrackIR works fine when yout start the game in VR mode :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I am spending more time on AMS2 now than RRE. The better graphics are nice but not a must- have and the dynamic weather is a nice sandbox feature but a bit gimmicky for multiplayer as you inevitably end up running in pitch darkness on a track with no lights at some point or in a 4 seasons in ten minutes accelerated time race.

RRE sounds are better and it has official ranked servers The AI may be better, I don´t do single player in RRE so can´t judge. For the rest, AMS2 wins in all aspects for me. The car physics might not be to everyone´s taste, however that is the same for any game and is a personal choice same as FFB and controller support.

Simplicity of creating your own lobby, a decent number of players now and less yeeters or tools than in RRE, an increasing car and track roster with the possibility to buy a season pass and get all the future content for about what RRE costs now or just the base game with more than enough content for a little bit more than the RRE starter pack are all powerful arguments. Add in the optimisation for multicore PCs, the possibility to race on tracks you don´t own in multiplayer and that it is early in the development curve and possibly Reiza have more autonomy over what and how to develop than S3 do.

Reiza can be guilty of promising too much and not meeting their launch dates but so far they have done everything they said they would - maybe it´s a cultural thing as in northern Europe people focus on geting stuff done quietly whereas the Latin American style is a bit different.

There are still bugs, missing features and some cars with dodgy handling but that is also ture for RRE.

In the end, we have the happy problem of choosing which game to play although too many similar niche games does cannibalise the multiplayer market and may mean these companies not being profitable as they don´t see to have many other revenue opportunities. We have already seen a consolidation with Motorsport Games and Codemasters acquiring S397 and SMS and this trend may continue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  7. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Exactly and because of that guess there are a lot of improvements to expect...
    Well, regarding Multiplay I personally took a step back from (highly competitive) online racing for to really embrace and taste the experience in all aspects again, taking my time, lost some love on the way during a few years of "just competing" if you know what I mean - so (well functioning) single player sessions have become more important to me again...

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    AMS2 also has one other big plus right now - no Esports so they can push on with development without being blocked by competition dates.

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    They actually pushed out patch and development roadmap yesterday. Nothing amazingly new so far as most new content has been delayed to end of month but they have teased a Gr C Nissan, 1983 McLaren and confirmed classic Spa and 70s Ring DLC add ons for 1st quarter. It looks like they will have a similar number of tracks if not cars to RRE by end of year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista 2 Beta | F-USA Gen3 - Reynard 2Ki Ford (WIP) | Road America (WIP)

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah nice track. Very deserted eg only the track and trees due to beta state but it looks great already. I do like this track for racing with open cockpit cars.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I feel sorry for those that paid full price for the DLC pack when released and not only still don´t have Road America but also see how it is 50%.

13. rd.king

rd.king Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    They have Road America now.:)

14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to reduce steering lock below 14 degrees which is minimum on the car setup page?

15. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Technically, you can achieve the same effect by increasing the steering rotation. But why would you want to do that? 14 degrees steering lock results in a ~12.8:1 steering ratio even with a 360 rotation, which is somewhat realistic for smaller single seaters for example.

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    1) Keyboard controls.
    2) Old/cheap steering wheel with low angle of rotation.

Well, they failed on the realism part: every car has the same default lock (16) and value range (14-28). On top of that they also failed to make this feature useful for when someone actually needs it. That's a bummer...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I use keyboard and it is a bit of a faff to get good settings. The default setting on all cars is actually 2 clicks more than the minimum for non analogue devices, which is usually 14. On RRE the default is the mimimum of 8 for all cars so it is kind of similar idea different execution. I don´t think they represent real values in degrees at least for keyboard or controller as you get a lot more lock than that. The other annoying thing is you can´t adjust lock in AMS2 in fixed setup room, which makes some track car combos undriveable.

What you can do is to adjust speed sensitivity and damping to make the steering more or less reactive but there isn´t a working steering sensitivity slider like on Raceroom - put it to 0, 50 or 100 and nothing changes, same with throttle and brakes.

If the steering is too direct then put both to 100 and work down till it is how you want it. Some people suggest 50 speed sensitivity and 100 damping as that gives better reactions at lower speed but others use the opposite. I find between 80 and 95 works best for me but it depends on the car.

The control setup is almost a copy and paste legacy from PC2 so I guess they will eventually work on that a bit more once the more serious game issues are fixed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    You mean in Raceroom? Why do you think that?

That's the thing, PC2 doesn't have a steering lock setting, it has steering ratio setting (with a surprisingly wide range: from 5:1 to 35:1) which has no effect with keyboard controls. So Reiza already made a necessary change, but for whatever reason decided on that half-useful range.

Thanks for the settings suggestions, I'll try them out. Although I don't fancy an idea of scrubbing my tyres at 14 degrees lock, and I need low lock angles for my wheel anyway.

19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I am no good at maths but it´s something do with the ratio being fixed in the game, unlike on a wheel, so 16 degress on a keyboard on RRE is way too much for a keyboard except to get round some hairpins.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Why do you think it shouldn't be so?

In other games I get similar turning as in Raceroom if I reduce lock down to 8-10 degrees. How much I can turn on keyboard with 8 degrees is more or less the same with a wheel too.