Automobilista

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Thug-Life, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I think having a good balance or numbers and driver feedback is important but at the same time the driver feedback is a double edged sword. For example lets say I was developing a bicycle riding simulator and I came you you guys for professional bike riding feedback. Without the real world feedback and forces you might lose you balance and fall over. This never happens to you because you are a pro so your feedback would probably something along the lines of "low speed balance is too difficult". So the physics would be adjusted even if the numbers were accurate in the first place. In doing this some rider skill is added into the physics equation making the handling more approachable but perhaps not as close to reality so a careful balance needs to be made.

In the end this probably is necessary on some level using the drivers feedback to know what to adjust in order to make up for all the real world forces we don't get in a sim. I think something like this was mentioned in a S3 dev stream a while back.

2. Travis P

Travis P Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I know what's gone on because I've listened to Sonat and other dev's within Sector 3 on Skype, watched the development live streams and YouTube clips and know how much the drivers feedback has shaped R3E.

My post is a counterpoint to the usual posts of "these physics are crap" "unrealisitic" "simcade physics" from people who've never driven any of the cars they claim to be experts on. How people make physics and tyre model judgements on cars that don't handle like a Micro Machine game (or any release that is clearly an arcade racer) vehicle is beyond me.

I've read the comments on RD from Kunos and getting info from engineers works for them which is great for AC. Bruno Spengler volunteered his time to work on the DTM Experience, so he was an invested participant in getting the vehicles as close to real as isimotor 2 & S3's own coding allows.

I don't believe anyone here is claiming 1:1 recreation as even the well funded F1 teams stuggle with their multi-million dollar setups however R3E improved a great deal with the real world driver input.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    In nature, and in design and engineering, similar problems tend to lead to comparable solutions, or same methods to tackle them. I assume that the basic principles by which the physics coders of Sector3 and Kunos work, probably do not fundamentally differ. The focus on detail may differ, like the focus of the sims differ and thus demand different concentration on different details of the overall package. But still, the basic challenges of physics design in a race sim trying to create the illusion of being a "real thing", are the same. The differences in design decisions eat away from the system resources and the nature of the exe, 32 bit (RR) and 64 bit (AC). The need to take the limiting effect of these hardware factors into account also play a role, I would assume. On the other hand, if a PC sim like AC can be translated to consoles without losses (PS4 at least, X360 has reduced resolution, while still going at 60Hz), this somewhat questions my hardware argument a bit.

4. Thug-Life

Thug-Life Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
  5. Travis P

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. Insaneozzy

Insaneozzy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -0
    Only affects the sale of AMS as per Steams terms & conditions, if you own the game it's still business as usual. There's no restriction on game play.;)

7. Rally-RacingIvysaur

Rally-RacingIvysaur Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Hope Automoblista will survive in it's current state. It's a good game too. Love some of the cars and tracks. Especially it has the best karting and superkarting at the moment, until KartKraft will be released

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    id say they are going to have to change there f1 clones a little bit. they are a bit too close to the real ones perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    If not the cars themselves (I don't think FOM have blanket rights to top tier open wheelers full stop) , then probably the liveries, as they often bear uncanny resemblance to their real life counterparts.

Regardless, I think this is a case of dramatic overreach by FOM and will be a great way to alienate thousands of people who are so passionate about F1 that they want to experience it on their computer in a more sim environment than the official Codies games.

I'm pretty sure Reiza will come out of it just fine once they get a chance to explain the situation with Steam. Steam apparently take a "shoot first ask questions later" approach to copyright violation, and were most likely served a dramatic cease and desist letter from FOM.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm sure they will be fine, might have to adapt some of their 'fictional' liveries though; having had a closer look I can see why they specifically have been targeted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    As long at they dont touch the F3, i'm fine :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Seems to me as though someone, possibly with an agenda, contacted FOM about AMS. It's not a game that's on the radar outside this niche audience.

As others have said, I think it's the liveries that are the problem, not the cars themselves. They sailed close to the wind on this one. The liveries are near identical once the official sponsors logos are taken out of the equation.

13. Travis P

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I think I know the blog owner you are alluding to; the same person who put a complaint against Reiza's crowdfunding without ever contributing a cent.

True; many of the liveries are 1:1 copies.

14. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I checked AMS and i'm surprised by the sound. It sounds really really great.
    Graphics are not better than GSCE and the physic is not on paar with R3E (except colisions), in my opinion of course. ;o)

15. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    guys, how is your triple screen performance on this game? I'm having lots of issues. Everything on low I get 40~45fps on a full grid. On high its around ~30fps.

5ghz i7 + AMD 290X

16. Sven Blumenthal

Sven Blumenthal Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Here it's quit ! Long time ago with a new video or somthing even after the new buil v0.9.0.

Hey Thug-Life please bring again a bit driving action in here again ;)

I'm still not convinced to buy it.....

17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    AMS will soon get a "Boxer" Cup, currently in the beta. Fun car! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Hope Reiza know what they are doing with the-car-that-doesn't-look-at-all-like-a-Porsche.

They've already sailed close to the wind with FOM.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    My first thought was, HEY! EA have lost the Porsche license.. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Thug-Life

Thug-Life Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Men, buy it, you won't regret. Here some action...

It's a fantastic sim. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1