Problem Autoshift issue in Audi GTO

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by frodesa, Jan 26, 2019.

1. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    When I drive the Audi GTO and going through a tight corner and the revs are low the car uses a very long time to get the revs up and the speed. Is this by design? Because it makes it kind of useless if I it takes a very long time to get up to speed after a corner. I tried it around the Sepang Circuit and in after slow corners it takes a long time to get the speed back up.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Fix should be on its way soon, but you can try using shorter ratio's for 1st and 2nd gear in the meantime. I found this works ok for now:

upload_2019-1-26_15-43-2.png

Edit: This was for Mantorp Park GP.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. frodesa

frodesa New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So it is a known bug? Thanks for the answer Scout.

4. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    It is known yes, but maybe not a bug as much - more that the lower gearing is a bit too long right now. You will notice a big difference when the improved gearing is introduced, it really launches out of the corners. :eek:

5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    When playing with manual gears but auto-clutch, there are also issues with this car. The auto-clutch is completely unable to keep the engine at a decent power-band on a standing start. With the default setup it'll be almost impossible to get the car moving along with the AI. Even with the shortest 1st gear setting on 50L, the start will be painfully slow vs. the AI because there's too much of a rpm drop when the auto-clutch is released too soon.
    IMHO, even if max shortening 1st gear worked for standing starts, or shorter ratios are introduced, it wouldn't completely solve the main issue. OTH, having a longer helping auto-clutch logic would be better on this and other comparable turbo cars that must be kept at higher rpm.

On some turbo cars (as the Capri) it was possible to trick the auto-clutch into letting it slip for a longer time by putting the car into 1st gear, holding brakes, and then releasing brakes at a well timed high rpm after an acceleration burst that is already forcing the auto-clutch. This workaround doesn't seem to work on the Audi, resulting in even slower starts.

Also, when lapping Road America on the carroucel exit and in the next kink I've had 3rd and 5th gears (on different runs) suddenly stuck at max rpm as if the the clutch was being fully pressed again some seconds after putting it into gear. This happened probably after going over a kerb.

Regarding the default setup, sometimes it's very easy to unsettle the car while braking hard on a straight line. I haven't figured if this is related to differential coast settings, brake balance, or insufficient auto-blip when downshifting with a bit too much rpm.

Thanks for looking into this

6. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    I believe when the updated version is out, the time to reach max boost will have been reduced, along with improved standing starts (it's literally a rocket off the start line now). I do feel the the braking can be tricky at times - so I'll pass that feedback when I test the car next. For now, adding a lot of positive toe-in on the rear and reducing the brake pressure slightly can help the braking stability.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help and info, great news that a update is underway.
    Cheers!

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    After the new patch, the car is definitely starting way better with auto-clutch both when a) keeping it at max rev (hitting the limiter) and shifting into 1st gear on green flag, or b) shifting into 1st, holding brakes, and releasing brakes after a well timed full acceleration burst at green. Sometimes it can still bog down a bit on default setup, but not always -- this might be related to testing on the uphill grid on Road America.
    Just tested a few standing starts in Road America, starting in 3rd so I can compare to two AI cars ahead of me with a clear track for them (103% AI, default setup).

Now, a big issue with the auto-clutch remains. Please try the car on Road America under get real with auto-clutch and manual gears (I'm on a gamepad), default setup, shifting at ~7.5K rpm (right after the needle shows under the red sticker). Also, without doing a manual accelerator lift when pressing the gear up button (I assume R3E will auto blip/auto lift when auto clutch is enabled on a car that has a manual H).
    Often after shifting up on the assigned button, the gear will shift, but a moment later when the transmission is still vibrating before the car starts to accelerate back naturally, the auto-clutch will suddenly fully press the clutch pedal and keep it that way (max revving the engine) until one lifts off the accelerator. It seems to happen mostly when shifting into 5th, at the 3 faster track points where the gear is used, and sometimes right after shifting into 3rd before the carousel, and 4th gear between t1 and t2. It also happens randomly at other points.
    If you have problems reproducing this behavior, I can try to make a clip.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    There has been a report by one of the betatesters that the clutch is slipping. It is being looked at.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Good news, thanks. As I'm forced to use auto-clutch, I assumed it was due to some erroneous auto-input instead of a sudden slip after a shift up.