Problem Bad performance since.... now

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by FormelLMS, May 4, 2015.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

my pc is an Intel i5 4690 with an nvidia 980 graphics card. The graphic card is overclocked to 1500 MHz. 8gb of ram on Windows 8.1

Since the last time for a few days everything was fine. The game runs mostly smooth at 60 FPS. Now, I've upgraded to the last nvidia driver and when I launch Nürburgring on DTM experience 2014 it runs on only 45 to 50 FPS.
    I really don't have change anything. Is someone experiencing the same or could someone tell me, what I can do now?
    Im playing Euro truck simulator 2 on the same computer and it works a bit better than before.

Edit: Sorry, it's an Nvidia 970, not 980

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I guess uninstalling the new nvidia-Driver and install the Version you have used before would be one thing you can try first to check if that will solve your problem in R3E.
    Another thing you should check are the Driver-Settings. Maybe there is now anything activated, which wasn't active before.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh, didn't know that I can downgrade the drivers. Thank you for this idea. Thought, I'm stucked with it.
    I think, my hardware is OK for good graphics on R3E?

I will try tomorrow. Now its very late.

4. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    It helps nothing to downgrade the NVIDIA driver. I have the same performance loss of about 10-15 fps since the last update with unchanged graphics settings. I recognized this at DTM starts at Nürburgring and Norisring, because this seems to be the most demanding combination in R3E. The reason is, that R3E increased the shadow drawing distance and improved the shadow model. It's now much better, because the shadows don't popup anymore like before (e.g. look at the shadows in the tunnel of the Raceroom Raceway), but this costs a lot of performance. You have to reduce your graphics settings in R3E to have 60 fps with VSYNC ON again on all tracks, especially for DTM races. I'm now playing with 1920x1080 50 Hz and VSYNC ON and almost the same graphics settings like before the update, because that's smooth enough for me. I also think, that it's more a CPU caused performance problem.

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    FormelLMS wrote that nothin was changed (this included the Version of the Game), only the Driver was Updated... So that descriped a different situation...

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Well, yes, didn't see that there was an update. Last Version is from 8th April (as I can see on the starting screen)
    But, graphics has changed. It looks not as good as before and last session on my side was 30.04. and there everything was cool.

I think, I will reset my graphics driver to Nvidia standard, then change my settings to medium and try again.
    But an i4690 with Nvidia 970 with Medium? Is that normal?

7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    No - that is definetly not ok... Thats an issue at the moment and seems to be caused by a changing of the Shadows in the last big Update. Especially users of new Nvidia-cards seems to have the biggest performance-drops since the update. Switching off "Shadow Split" and "Vsync" can help a bit. Together with reflection-detail set to MEDIUM that should help to get acceptable Framerates with the other settings set on HIGH.

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Surely it is and not alone with Highend GFX Cards - I wrote it before that something in the R3E architecture (shadow-related) is literally sucking off performance like hell ......(unefficient Multicore/Quadcore -Management ?)

9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    OK, I will try this evening. Strange that it works good before yesterday :(
    I have a 1920 x 1080 display. Would you recommend to use Nvidias DSR with higher resolution or is it better to choose more AA in the settings.
    Whats better in the performance in R3E? With Euro Truck its DSR better.

10. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
  11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hey,
    I've made some changes.
    I don't want to switch Vsync off, because I don't like the tearing in curves. But I've had it on 60hz. I've changed this setting to 50hz manually in the user graphics.xml.
    Then goes to the next higher resolution over 1920 x 1080 with nvidias DSR function in the drivers (in drivers settings everything is maxed out except FXAA)
    Now, ingame, everything is maxxed out, except mirror quality on low, bloom (I don't like it) Antialiasing on 4x, motion blur on low (I don't like that on racing games, I think, I will switch it off).
    With this settings I've had 40 to 45 frames again. Now switching off these shadow split. Now its stable on 50 frames (locked through Vsync - but I don't need more)
    Very fluid to drive. But, I don't know, it doesn't look good.
    I think, I've messed it up now. The first few meters in front of my car is sharp and clean, but after it, it's not very crisp and looks awful.
    Could be, it's something in the driver's setting? I don't know.
    Could you help again?

12. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Just turn shadows off, they don't look that great anyway, they flicker, break up and take about 30fps of my rate. Just have contact shadows on so the cars don't look that floaty. I also have track details on low or medium (less people and trees) still looks good but just less stuff to render and load. LOD distance medium. 4xAA with FXAA off. Everything else how you want.

I posted this a while a go...it may help

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/framedops-when-smoke-comes-up.862/#post-9373

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  13. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Configuration ce Testez
    Ma configuration

Chipset GeForce GTX 980
    le mode principale de l'Horloge OC - GPU Boost Clock: 1354 MHz, GPU horloge de la base de: 1253 MHz
    Gaming Mode - GPU Boost Clock: 1329 MHz, GPU horloge de la base de: 1228 MHz

VGA Outils OC Guru II
    Outils VGA -BIOS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5208#utility

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hello again.
    So yesterday I've made some checks.
    Disabling MSAA in the settings from nvidia makes the look better.
    I really don't understand the settings in driver. I've reverted nearly everything to nvidia stock configuration except the DSR, which is set to 2x.

Now I've constant framerates with Vsync on on 50hz.
    I hope, it's not bad to drive only with 50 hz than on 60 hz.

15. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    As I'm using an AMD-Card at the moment I don't know the options in the nvidia-Drivers. In the AMD-Driver there is an Option that allows the Game to overwrite the Driver-Settings like MSAA. Maybe you have such an option which is not activated?

16. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    You can find an older post in which the solution was disable the DSR thing if I remember well...

17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Setting shadows to "high" & car shadows on I get around 50 FPS too (sometimes a bit under) and I have to admit I see and feel the difference. I actually thought having 48 FPS is more than enough (equals 24 images per second what is used in movies) but seems there is a reason why 60 FPS are recommended. So I have to put all shadows off except for contact shadows (16)...For Sp it would be okay with 50FPS but it even doesn`t look good...for real competition/online racing 60FPS is the threshold...

18. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I just wish the shadows looked better in the cockpit...I'd use them then.

I take it back :oops: : Again a massive distraction, I just had to see...they look fine...Shadows High, Car Shadows On, Contact 32, and Split on

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  19. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yeah - thats the sad point at the moment... with the last update the quality of the shadows improved very well, but with shadow split "ON" my Framerate drops to much at the moment...

20. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    there is a massive performance drop with the shadows on and much longer load times, but I have been quite grumbly about them in the past and recently, but I keep checking them and just now I checked them and yes the performance drop is there but they seem to look a lot better.