Beat-Valettri-Bottas-Competition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fischhaltefolie, Jul 11, 2017.

1. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Can you beat Valtteri Bottas?
    Here is a small competition. What's your best time?
    Btw he reached 0.201 at Spielberg.

upload_2017-7-11_17-11-56.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    If he did 0.2 than what was all the controversy about? My question is what happens if someone does below 0.15, say 0.1. That is humanly impossible and would mean they jump started, but timed their jump start to perfection. Is that considered a jump start in F1? If I'm not mistaken in athletics they do consider below the human possible minimum reaction and not just zero.

3. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    After the second attempt, the first attempt was super fun;)

Attached Files:

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Phew...

Best I can do

Screenshot_20170711-195142.png

Look at"your best"

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
  6. Bergaufbremser

Bergaufbremser Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Easy... ;-)

Attached Files:

7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I have to correct myself.

Screenshot_20170711-200003.png

8. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Hey, you're all jumpstarters!:D
    Drive through in next race for all of you!
    I should rename titel to Jumpstart-Competition:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Karist

Karist Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Totally not edited.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    think this thread shows that we are waiting for something...

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I can't go under 0.2s, 0.203 is the best I can do. But my starts are usually horrible in R3E too.:p

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    He didn't, wheels moved before lights went out:

13. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    WTF. What's up with these F1 investigations concluding things that contradict what the eyes see? Just like Hamilton "not breaking" after that turn in Baku where Vettel crashed him.

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Tinfoil-hat me would say the FIA is trying to raise interest in F1 by creating a three-way competition, having three championship contenders. But of course that's conspiracy nonsense. ;)

I guess it comes down to how a jump start is being defined.
    The FIA glossary says:
    But if the above (in that vid) is allowed because he didn't cross the grid spot line before the lights went out, I think that's an invitation for abuse.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  15. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The FIA said those sensors have a slight tolerance towards movement, because the car will jump slightly ahead even when you put it into first gear for example and Bottas was within those tolerance values with his start. It was pure luck he didn't receive a penalty.

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, the rulebook doesn't say anything about a tolerance, but it mentions the sensor data as the only determining variable. As said above, that calls for abuse. After all, an ever so slightly moving mass will be easier to accelerate than an unmoved mass.

The fact they don't take video footage into consideration and that there's a tolerance just smells a bit funny, room for ambiguity in a business where thousands of a second can make the difference.
    And the slight "jump" when putting the car in gear? Apart from the fact that I've not seen that in a F1 one race for years, from my pov it shouldn't be very difficult to pick out that data when reviewing. Because when do the drivers put the cars in gear anyway, during the red light phase? I really doubt that.

All this just seems weird to me, and like sth that can be used arbitrarily to create a wanted result.

17. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    This year we learned a new expression:
    Alternative facts.:p

18. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But how? There's no way someone can do this on purpose and gain unfair advantage without knowing the future and the exact moment when the lights will go out. It's not like we see incidents like this every other GP. Bottas was extremely lucky.

And yes, during the start procedure when the drivers use the clutch and the revs rise in first gear, the cars move slightly forward, it could trigger a false warning if someone is on the edge of his spot. And the reaction time alone is not even that important, the initial getaway is the most important thing so I understand why this area is not so overregulated as... well, everything else in F1.

19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Nevertheless, I think I won the competition. And my tires didn't move at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I guess in theory there could be ways to make the car roll veery slowly before full clutch engagement, and if they know what the tolerance of those sensors is they work towards that. And race engineers in every racing series (even in bicycle racing f.e.) kinda have a reputation of doing everything that's possible to gain the slightest advantage.

Is that overregulating, when there's a simple rule that can be easily checked and enforced? Car cannot move before lightsout, otherwise you get penalised. Putting in a tolerance and not taking all available data into consideration is where they make it more complicated than it'd need to be.

I agree Bottas was lucky and it still was a perfectly timed start. Cause even if they found a way to play with that tolerance it'd still be down to the driver to use that to his advantage, i.e. do a great start like he did. And I'm glad he got away with a win cause he has suffered from team orders several times now.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017