Best AI Track.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil Bateman, May 7, 2017.

1. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I have yet to race on every track as with limited time to race i tend to choose tracks either i know well or are my favorite tracks. Trouble is the tracks i choose all seem to have bad AI in certain parts of the track, case in point the new anderstorp, love the track but there are 2 corners where you struggle to keep up and one where you almost end up stopping to not crash into them. Which track do you think is good for great racing with the fewest problems.

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    That's a good question and could be very useful for new players. I'd have to think about it.
    Maybe you could edit your post once you've got some suggestions and keep it updated.

3. Nockitsch is back

Nockitsch is back Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Sonoma works for me :)

4. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    It is a good question - I wrote a post a couple of years ago saying how impressed I was with the consistency of AI speeds both within tracks and between tracks.

Coming from the Codemasters F1 series (10,11 and 12 at the time), I was endlessly frustrated in those games on tracks with corners that I was a second faster followed by corners where I was a second slower (i.e. there was terrible within-track consistency). I had a similar problem between tracks - some where I beat the AI by 10 seconds and then on the same game settings got completely smashed at another track.

In my post I said that this wasn't a problem in R3E. I probably should have said it's much less of a problem.

Anderstorp is the only track I don't own so I can't comment on that one. I've noticed a few reports of inconsistency - so I wouldn't be surprised if that was patched shortly.

In answer to your question though, for me it's easier to list the "bad" tracks (warning: totally subjective opinion follows):

* Macau - the hairpin - It's not even the AI that's the problem. It's me. I can't do it. Not at all. Not in any car. Good place to practice 3-point turns while AI pummels me.

* Slovakiaring - sector 3 - I lose 1-2 seconds (!!) to the AI in the final corners here just about every lap, despite lots of practice. Some kind souls have offered tips but alas...

*Red Bull Ring - turns 6-7 - I always lose a few tenths here to AI - it's small but happens every time. Compensated by being better at rest of track.

Other than that I find the track consistency very good - not perfect - but where I perceive differences it's VERY hard to say whether that difference is an AI issue or my driving style. Real-world race drivers have some tracks which, for reasons unknown, they personally excel and others where they struggle.

My top 3 tracks (i.e. best racing) are probably Bathurst, Mid-Ohio and Silverstone.

5. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replies so far guys, on Monday I hope to have a few hours to race so I will try as many tracks as I can that I don't normally race on and hopefully can list the ones with the best racing.
    I think there are 8 tracks I am yet to race on so will update my OP as I go.

6. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought - in some ways the AI is too consistent. If I'm racing 19 AI cars they will ALL be good at a particular corner or ALL be bad at a corner. Some AI driver variability might 'real' it up a bit? Would have to be subtle though...

7. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Two tracks come to my mind when it's about good AI:
    • Monza: they are always faster than me in both Lesmos and in the Parabolica :confused:
    • Zolder: they are blazing fast down to the first chicane and in the following two fast bends o_O
    But bear in mind: it could be all just because I am a very awful driver :D

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Spa: A bit slow thru Eau Rouge, Blanchimont and Bus stop, very fast thru the hole second sector.

I think in general the Ai is quicker in accelerating out of fast corners and slower thru tight hairpins or chicanes, compared to a human. So you have that problem at least once on every track.

9. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, almost all of this is based on subjective values in some way.
    Not meant as a critique, just saying.
    If the AI is bad at one track, and brilliant at the other, it might be because the user is great on the first track, and sucks at the second. Though granted, it's probably a little of both in all cases.
    It also very much depends on what car you're running on that particular track.

As a very general rule, I've found that the AI really doesn't like chicanes, tight corners (particularly in traffic) and very technical sections. T1-T4 at Nürburgring is a perfect example. On the other hand, it excels at long, sweeping corners where it can carry some speed out of it.
    So Silverstone should be a good one, probably Sachsenring as well. Mid-Ohio is usually pretty good too.
    Oschersleben is just horrendous, unless you have a fetish for being punted while the AI takes the scenic route through the grass. :D
    I can't imagine that Macau is much fun either. Then again, I've never raced at Macau, and I intend to keep to that happy state of affairs. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's subjective- the AI is faster than the user at his usual AI level in long turns of a certain degree, like the ones mentioned above in Red bull ring, Slovakiaring, Anderstorp.

And I'll add to that the esses in Suzuka and Chang, and the big round turn in Laustizring which is just like the one in Anderstorp.

If you look at the AI from its cockpit in these turns you'll see they are not governed by the same rules of physics as the user's car. They can turn on a dime without losing grip and speed.

Maybe something in the car setup can help.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  11. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    On some (most?) cars you need to change steering max angle value, in track lobby > car settings > steering settings.

12. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks - I'll try that and also I understand you have to slow down almost as though you are parking the car at a shopping centre (well, not quite but...).