Best configuration graphics card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AMG Vilas ®™, Feb 8, 2015.

1. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
  2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    For amd's vsr (same as DSR) it takes a lot of power to get the hi resolution. I don't use it for r3e, as I don't see a big difference....but I haven't messed too much with it.

I think DSR/vsr will be better with older games that don't have great aa or resolution options.

Just my view.

3. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    So, I read a review about DSR. The main conclusion was, that DSR is a great alternative to AA, but you need a powerful GPU. You get two benefits out of it 1) sharper/ smoother edges and 2) more details regarding textures. The overall benchmark results of the tests with a GTX970/980 were this:

1.920 x 1.080 = 100%
    2.715 x 1.527 = 56% (2x DSR)
    3.325 x 1.871 = 40% (3x DSR)

I think everyone who has got a powerful GPU should test it for himself, if the performance hit is worth the picture quality. I would also try out some different combonations and compare it to different AA methods and settings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Im sure everyone that is even somewhat familiar with PC games knows about AA and its general effect of making the image on screen better. It's implementation and the methods used to get its end result are the tricky technical stuff that the average user doesnt need to know, but I would imagine those that do know about AA know a few of the different versions.

DSR is not really a new concept or technology, its implementation and "under the hood" stuff on how it functions may be new and even proprietary, but its concept of what it does is not new. Old versions of AA like MSAA work by rendering portions of your image on the screen at a higher resolution, then downsampling to remove the jagged edges on some portions of the screen. There are lots of different versions that do very similar things, like FXAA, TXAA, MFAA, etc... and those all work well, with varied side effects and performance hits... Then you step up to the big boy of the AA realm SSAA. This, like its similar versions, work by rendering the image on screen higher and then downsampling. The difference here is, instead of rendering portions of the screen at a higher res, SSAA renders the entire image at a higher resolution to give a more crisp picture free of the jagged edges. Of course, this is incredibly taxing on the system to produce good frame rates, when it is rendering so much more than your display output.

That said, DSR is basically Nvidia's branding on SSAA that is built into their 9xx series gpu's as well as older gpu's via driver updates. DSR just renders the entire image on screen at a higher res, and then downsamples it to fit it back on your screen. For example, if you play at 1920x1080, and use 4x DSR, it will render the game at 3840x2160 or "4k", and then downsample for your monitor. SSAA provides the exact same result, albeit with a different implementation perhaps.

DSR is basically a luxury for really high end gpu's. Once more, when you use DSR to render at such a higher resolution, typical AA like MSAA isnt usually necessary in combination with DSR since DSR effectively gets rid of the jaggies on screen.

R3E is quite well optimized as I have found, and looks quite good on my 1080p monitor. I get solid frame rates and have only turned down the shadow settings and reflection settings, along with only using 2x MSAA with my gtx 660. If the OP has a 980... there is no reason that every setting can't be maxed out, as well as 8X MSAA. Although, problems would probably occur when using the Nvidia control panel to force R3E to use DSR, rendering his game at 3840x2160, and if that is combined with MSAA in-game, I could see that tanking his frame rates. Perhaps this is the problem, as it seems in the first post that he is using 8x MSAA. Turning off MSAA in-game might remedy the low frame rates. Really, a gtx 980 should have zero problem running this game.

This post has gone on long enough now, and perhaps you already know this info, but from your post Thomas, it seemed like you werent completely familiar with these terms. So hopefully this helped out some. :)

Cheers

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Hey, thanks for your explanations. You are right, I wasn't familiar with AA in that depth and how the different methods actually work. I appreciate your post and your time writing all this down here very much!

I think I have one or two questions left open, but I have to sort it out first... I hope you can help me with that then, too...:)

6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I have the amd 290, still not enough power with full VSR and full settings on r3e. Prob dual 290.

Its a nice option to have but the reality is I cant see many using it for new games as it takes so much power....even from the top of the line cards.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  7. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    On 2575/1527 don't lose anything in the League steam and fps performance time, alias I play with vertical sync

8. Galk

Galk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi all,
    sorry for the noob question... I would upgrade the gpu: from a r9 270 (2 gb) to a gtx 970.

Will i have a real improvement on R3E?
    And where? Only graphics or fps too?
    I run on a single screen 1080p and my specs are: amd Fx 8300 8x3,3/ turbo 3,7 - 8 gb ram

thanks inadvance!

9. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    @Galk Here are two benchmark charts, that show you the average FPS for the graphic cards (games tested: Anno 2070, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, GRID 2, Metro Last Night). I think you will get a boost in FPS and you will be able to activate some eye candy post processing at the same time.

As for the GTX970 I can recommend you the Gigabyte GTX970 Gaming G1 Active. (One of) the fastest GTX970 cards.

Attached Files:

10. Galk

Galk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for information Thomas!
    I have a problem with Shadow and Shadow split with full grid... I Hope (after update ) i can run 60 fps/ Shadow and Shadow split on, with full grid. Now i run without shadows for better fps...

11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    From my POV an optimization for lower resolution (shadowise) is urgently needed. To have a stable 60 FPS I only can run on 1600x900 and medium (some high) gfx settings (1980 works too but I get slight stutter at some tracks).
    Anyway the shadows look horrible, distorted and fuzzy with some weird effects, glitches and aliazing here and there and no matter which gfx-settings settings I change/shut off.
    At Vilas' Demo-vid they look almost perfect to me in comparison...;)
    I actually wanted to wait till next major update to make a comment (if) on this - but if noone knows about there`ll be no improvement at all..:oops:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @nate good explanations!
    here is some further details on MSAA and what is meant with "portions":
    The key difference between super sampling and MSAA is that in MSAA the pixel shader is only evaluated once per-pixel, while in super-sampling it would be once per sample.

A sampling point is the location within the final output pixel.

In the image below (4xMSAA) the red triangle is covering two sample positions of the pixel, however the shader is only run once and not twice (which would be super sampling). Based on the coverage and depth-test (which is done for each sample), the color writes are performed per-sample (so "red" gets written to sample 0 and 1).

In the end, after all the rendering of the scene has been done, the samples colors are blended based on some weightings (for example just average) to create the final pixel color on screen, that step is called "resolve" and is triggered by the programmer.

[​IMG]
    the sampling positions you see above is not what typical MSAA 4x looks like, but more like the red squares below.

[​IMG]

The reason is that the majority of "edges/silhouette lines" in our world are horizontal or vertical. We tend to build our world upright on rather flat areas ;)
    So imagine the corner of a building going through our pixel, the wall color would contribute in steps of 25% (depending how many sample points it covers). Whilst in the very top image it would contribute in steps of 50% as it would always cover 2 points at same time (assuming the wall is not askew).

MSAA works fine if you have a lot of geometric detail, because the coverage is based on the triangle. If you have a lot of "shader detail" (surface detail virtually created by textures) then the fact that you only compute once per pixel doesn't give you much quality. Anisotropic texture filtering only improves the output signal of the texture (say color) but the lighting computations which would influence the shaded color, are still done only once. Which is why many of the new games with all the crazy detail in objects, lots of fine engravings... benefit a lot from supersampling or other approaches.

In old games fences or grass also looked rather bad, because here the edges were also purely a result of the texturing and not of the triangle. Which is why there is something called "alpha to coverage" which you might have seen explicitly in games like "ArmA", here a texture transparency value is influencing the coverage mask, it's not perfect you might see a bit of dithering, but better than before.

Often the use of shader-driven anti-aliasing or supersampling boosts quality of renderers using deferred shading. Hence especially old titles can benefit a lot in quality with DSR. New titles should be doing something more clever themselves ideally ;)

racing games tend to have a lot of geometric detail (car shapes) track and you are never that close to detail outside the car, which is why MSAA and forward shading typically gives you best perf/quality. You mostly have to take care of some details like the fences and grass/leaves.
    Unless you want to have bad weather and night driving where local lights become more important, which is why pcars has a different approach, but also much higher demands to get it to look nice (have to use their supersampling modes otherwise the aliasing on trees and other small detail objects just kills it for me).

some more details here https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/msaa-overview/
    okay this ended up a bit more detailed then expected, work-related disease ;)
    but while I am at it, if someone is interested in how the hardware works in raw detail: http://pixeljetstream.blogspot.de/2015/02/life-of-triangle-nvidias-logical.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  13. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Reading that gave me a headache. I think I`ll have to go and lie down now.
    I understood the first sentence, up to the word "portions" ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Old thread but new question. How did you manage to use DSR with raceroom ? As soon as I activate in the Nvidia control panel I cannot navigate any longer in Raceroom. The flash menu is not scaled down probably. I assume it is flash because you can somehow navigate with the tab key. Unfortunately it doesn't really work

15. AMG Vilas ®™

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Vous allez sur documents, ouvrez le dossier simbin, dedans vous trouvez un bas un fichier que se apelle graphique contrôleur ouvrie et changer manuelment 3840/2160 apres enregistre et voila ouvrez les jeux et vous pouvez changer un 4K, je peux vous aider avec teamwier

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  16. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    "You go on documents, open the file simbin, in you find a file a file that is called graphic controller and manually change 3840/2160 after register and voila open the games and you can change a 4K, I can help you with teamwier" http://lmgtfy.com/?q=translate

OK, thanks, this is exactly what I did. Okay, I didn't change the resolution in the mxl file. I changed it in the Nvidia control panel. After activating this feature in the Control Panel one can select the new resolutions inside RaceRoom. Until here it is okay but after changing the resolution I cannot navigate any longer in RaceRoom. The display of the buttons of the interface doesn't match the real position of the buttons any longer. I have to click somewhere in space to hit a button. In the end I had to kill the application.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  17. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I think I had the same issue after activating DSR.
    I think I've deleted the graphics.xml (or how ever it is called) and fired the game up again. After that all graphic-settings were on default and I configured the settings again.

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Ah, and another thing you could check... Activate the DSR-Resolution on Desktop and check how it looks there...

19. fl0wf1r3

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    you mean to upscale/downscale the hole windows screen instead? would be another possibility, I skipped it because it looks blurry. Perhaps I have to restart windows after activating DSR, hm

20. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    To be honest - the upscale/downscale-thing wasn't needed on my system after activating DSR. I've just scaled it for my current setting and DSR set the new resolution proportional and it fit. As I had an AMD-Card a few month back I needed to adjust my screen in Desktop-Mode after activating VSR.
    Maybe try a reboot after activating DSR first. If that does not help, try deleting the graphics[...].xml. I'm sure I had the same with DSR but unfortunately can't exactly remember how I solved it.