Question Best VR settings??

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by skswat, Apr 6, 2018.

1. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

Just wondering, what are in your opinion best settings for VR? (Especially Oculus Rift CV1)
    I mean to get nice ballance between picture quality and smoothness.

Are you doing some tweaks in Oculus debug tool for better performance? Or what are your Raceroom starting parameters in steam.

Any advice is welcome. :)

I am running Nvidia 980Ti card. Other specs see in signature if needed.

2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    VR in r3e is extremely cpu-limited. that is why shadows and especially car shadows make HUGE difference in VR performance. I have a 1080ti and 4770k and run everything on low (textures high and track detail medium), shadows completely off and 2.0 SS and 2x AA to keep a stable 90fps no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I’m coming from the vive side of things - but due to job and this damn hobby I literally have over 800 hours in VR.

There are differing opinions on this, but I feel incredibly strong about the following for a racing sim. You must get 90fps. Asynchronous Reprojection is NOT your friend. Running at 45fps may mean you get more visuals but it destroys the sim experience. I find it odd this is even up for debate. Most people running on a monitor will tell you above 60fps, this is compounded a lot in vr when you quickly dart your head to see someone coming up the inside. Or when your struck or losing grip. Most important (and why I maintain it’s not an opinion) reaction time and fidelity of movement/physics. Good sim racers are fighting for tenths or hundredths of a second, if you are running at 45fps you simply can’t see/respond to the environment/car quick enough.

So with that in mind -

I have super sampling set at 1.6 in the RR launcher, antialiasing at 4, shadows on low, reflections on low (this is needed), particles on low, contact shadows at 15 and only 15 cars visible. I have the LOD for cars set at medium. I do have the tracks and all set to high but even with my computer there are two tracks that I have to turn down (the new Chinese track and Sonoma).

Keep in mind I have a titan pascal gpu and i7extreme cpu both over clocked serious (35-45%). You will need to reduce super sampling and reduce track detail and probably only 2x for antialiasing.

Raceroom is particular odd in that it’s very very cpu heavy. If you are racing more than 17 and qualify near the back you are done for - stutter city. I don’t know what Sector 3 are using for their test bed computer but it must be out of this world.

Last note as you stated you have a big monitor. Remove the -vr tag, start raceroom in normal monitor mode. Go to video video settings - reduce resolution to 720p (1440x). Hit apply. Now exit, put your -vr 1.5 back on. Start game. VR now performs 10-25% better and I think you get bigger HUD. This is insanity but very real.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I run supersampling at 1.5 through the Oculus Tray Tool, 2x AA, shadows and reflections on low, 20 visible cars and textures set to high. I get a bit of ASW during lap 1 but after that things are gravy for the most part and when it's not bumping down track detail does the trick.

5. The Foo

The Foo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Some great help here.
    Quick question.
    If i just practised on my own with no Ai cars would that make any difference reaching 90fps? What i mean is could i turn up the graphics and maintain 90fps? (1080 + i7 7700)
    Reason i ask is because i love to just drive alone.

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I guess you could, for two things, AI consumes lots of CPU power, so driving alone will help reduce that load. Second, if you don't mind the 'jitters' when the GPU adjusts frame rates, then it may be fine... it really depends on your acceptance threshold. Some are fine with 45fps even on a race, while some don't :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, my settings are based on 16-19 other cars on the field. That’s a lot of extra polygons, textures, and cpu/gpu cycles. You could likely bump up super sampling by .2

NathanW

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. The Foo

The Foo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan
    One thing thats important to me is to maintain shadows on, especially in the cockpit while in VR. To help with immersion. I see lots of videos where its turned off and it looks awful. I understand the reasons why. Especially when coming from AC where it can look stunning in VR
    I've never actually played Raceroom before and always been a AC guy. The main attraction is the sound design in RR. I hear so many people talk about how AMAZING the sound is. Sound to me is hugely important. This is one area of AC that is not good, especially when i have a full on meaty 7.1 surround AV system around my seat. So will give it a go!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I never turn the shadows off. I do
    Turn “contact shadows” down to a lower number these days (like 5). But I agree no shadows is a deal breaker. I also come from AC (and still do a little iRacing). It’s interesting that both of those titles have superior performance in VR and yet Raceroom is still the most immersive for me. This is only partially due to sound though. The sound in RR is by far the best, I don’t find that to even be debatable.

I will add though - make sure you play with the world scale (assign two buttons). Play with this until the steering wheel looks to be the right size. I have the McLaren fanatec wheel and have pegged it to be near exact (meaning I pull the glasses off and the size looks the same in real life and virtual).

Also recommend picking a real car as those tend to have much better engine/transmission sounds in my opinion.

10. The Foo

The Foo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice
    Interestingly i've just ordered the McLaren wheel as the MacLaren GT is my favourite car, partly for its sound! I love that car in AC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Foo

The Foo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How do you describe 'immersive' compared to AC? Thats another thing i've heard a few times about RR in VR

12. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    It's personal I do like both AC and R3E. R3E has the better sound immersion also in VR. Besides the great engine and other mechanical sounds you also hear the 'gravel' been throwing around in your mudguard/fender (not sure what is the best english word for 'spatbord').

I love the McLaren GT3 wheel and car. Give it a go around Nordschleife like I did earlier today. Best workout for today :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    VR immersion = Feeling the sense of speed, believing you are in the environment, being aware of your surroundings, being able to react to those things naturally (my opinion of course)

I wish post efx worked in RR so we could get sun glare.. as that isn't a gimmick as in real life it's a damn problem. I also wish the brake lights bloomed or were simply brighter.. Also they need to implement a easy lock to horizon/lock to car slider.. The current solution is pretty terrible.. But coming from AC where I tweaked everything in config files it's not such a big deal..

NathanW

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The sound and the FFB does it for me, although I tend to play Pcars more than RR. Pcars is still the best looking game in VR. If you don’t count the annoying flickering. Lol.

15. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Don’t want to start any battles here - honestly

But man pc2 is by far the worst experience for me. I cannot get it to run in 90fps consistently. To get it working properly some of the time everything has to be turned down so low it looks awful and in general I get so much buzzing it hurts my eyes. Then the world scale is too small. This coupled with the games physics makes me not want to spend the time getting it running properly if that can be

So I’ll ask - is there a guide to get it running at 90fps and looking good? I have a reasonably strong machine (titan xp, i7x both over clocked, ssd and 64 gigs of 3400 ram). I’d honestly give it another try as it has a few tracks I’d like to try.

NathanW

16. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    What is the best world scale setting for R3E?

17. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    For me, the standard setting is optimal in RRE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    No worries, you may vent your findings of course.
    I can’t acknowledge this. I have a great time with Pcars in VR. 90fps without problems.
    On the pcars forum you can find lots of info on VR settings/tweaking.
    World scale can be set to your needs but I don’t find the default setting to small. Not very different than RR imho.
    Also the physics are not bad at all. But you may think different of course. Nice to have more race sims on the marked.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I believe it’s completely relative to your inner ocular distance. For me I’m at 59.x but I have a narrow head. With wider heads (more distance) the number I assume needs to be higher.

20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I got mine today ;) I feel sad now for my Formula Carbon as it wont get much use now .
    I can't get R3E to do 90 fps without massive compromises so I choose to max it out with SS at 2.0 and lock ASW to 45 .
    pC2 on the other hand is locked to 90 with ASW Off with nice and High settings ( i have a few vids on my YT channel with settings) but atm rF2 is my jam ! Again that's a pretty solid 90 .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018