News (beta) Multiplayer Rankings

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have been away (6 month or so) from the rated races for a while and noticed after my latest race my rated race history shows much less races than I without no doubt have done, is there an time limit or reset been done to race history?

2. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    IIRC, around December last year, in one of those updates/rating recalculations, I've noticed a few races disappearing, to the point that I've crossed the 100 race threshold twice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andreas-80

Andreas-80 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am sure it will happen again this time, because there is some trouble in ranked races since the big update.

- Some count as 2nd but were 1st. The displayed 1st was far behind, lapped by the faster class while 2nd, 3rd....weren't lapped.

- Some have troubles while session change from qualification to race and end up in the mulitplayer lobby and get counted as a rage quit (lot of rating and rep loss) --> i had this twice out of three trials (same server, DTM92 @ Bathurst, same time, later race).

I hope this will get fixed soon and the "wrong" results will be removed or whatever...but they don't have to count imho.

I did a small video with my smartphone where it is showed --> (sorry for the bad quality and the rotation of my smartphone)

4. Joakim Tärnström

Joakim Tärnström Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I’ve had my ups and downs with the ranking system. Right now, it is down. On tracks were I am competetive, like Watkins Glen last week, were I qualify top-5, there are rarely any problems but as soon as I drive on trakcs were I qualify just a little further down the order, it is just about pointless to take part due to the enormous amounts of incident points that gets racked up due to other competitors unable to drive cleanly. It’s become the norm to end the first lap with 12-18 incident points from people slamming into you from behind and there is absolutley nothing you can do about - except give up positions a plenty. I have no problem racing with others that are consistent and that drive according to real racing. But for the rest… There are too many willing to sacrifice incident points to gain position and if I’m going to get hit, why should I even try to be careful. I might as well accumulate my incident points by being aggressive. That way, I will be less inclined to end up off-track, which often happens to the driver who try to keep some distance to the others in front. The car being hit from behind is far more likely to become unbalanced. I suggest some sort of adjustment of the incident points where the car hitting from behind gets the double amount of incident points.

*Edit: Looking at my last race for instance, I retired after having been punted off. Ended up with 23 incident points (3 were of my own making). Ten drivers ended up with between 20 and 39 points. Ten had between 10 and 20 points. Too many drivers simply dont care about their reputation.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  5. Kalanur

Kalanur New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Coming from iRacing, I have to say that the reputation system of R3E is way more forgiving than the safety rating system from iRacing. You can have a lots of contacts in R3E before even losing reputation and off tracks are handled way less harsh than in other sims.
    I strongly advise against giving the car behind a bigger reputation hit because people would abuse it to brake check others to get them DQed. A equally shared penalty system is the only system that works in the long run of you don't have humans to hand out penalties manually. It may feel unfair from time to time and but over the time people who are carefully and have a proper racecraft will rise in their reputation while people who are driving unsafe or nervous will go down. If your reputation goes down constantly, you should look at your own driving and try to find the error and to improve yourself.
    You must learn to observe the other drivers, look out who seems to be a risky driver and who seems to be a safe drivers and then act accordingly. Don't fight the risky driver, most of the time he will spin or crash, just make sure you are not involved. Spare your energy for the safe drivers and have enjoyable fights with them.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Joakim Tärnström

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, I always have an eye on who’s behind and in front. Never any problems with high reputation drivers. The problem is, and this is where you are missing my point, is that it is almost next to impossible to control how many incident points you will get when you’re starting midpack. If starting midpack will make my reputation go down, I will only choose races where I know I’m in the top five, and that’s not how I think anyone wants it to work. There is a tendency to always shift the blame for received incident points on the person complaining whereas I suggest there are circumstances where even the cleanest driver is a victim of the system, in fact, being clean punishes you.

With regards to your comparison with iRacing, it might be that Raceroom needs to be less forgiving. I won’t have any problem with that as Im pretty confident I would benefit from that. Out the 100-200 races I’ve done (haven’t checked my stats), I have only punted off two or three drivers - my fault but by accident. The number of times I find myself in the gravel is countless. Right now Raceroom doesn’t benefit the clean driver, regardless of your advice (because it is out of your control) in certain circumstances, that is midpack racing. Maybe it’s the same with iRacing, I don’t know, but I think it’s a point worthy of putting forward in order to stimulate a debate on how to improve things.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  7. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You're focusing on the points too much and/or reputation.
    1. Great drivers avoid dangerous situations. I'm not a great driver, I get points for contact because other drivers are too aggressive or incompetent and I sometimes refuse to give up the place. Usually, I'm able to predict when someone will be braking late and move out of the way. You need to place yourself in a way that the other guy has no room to overtake, blok the inside, get out of your usual line.
    2. If you're not fast on a particular track your break points may be off. If you are, don't expect to gain positions, learn the track.
    3. I just finished F4 race where due to some bug I didn't post a quali time. started 24th, finished 11th. I got 24 points in this race and lost 0.2 rep. long term I'm in the uptrend.
    It's easy to maintain rep above 85. If you can't do that, it's not other people's fault. And you don't need any more than 85 to race any server you want.

Any change I'd like to see made at the moment is auto temp ban for people that drop below certain rep level. Getting to let's say 20-30 rep is only possible when you constantly get disqualified early in the race and that would indicate intentional wrecking or incredible incompetence.

8. Joakim Tärnström

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    You are totally missing the point and it’s starting to get tiresome to respond with the same answer again. My point is that you may follow your advice and still become a victim of the system - in fact, I go as far to say that you may end up worse by trying to race clean instead of being aggressive because being hit from behind unsettles your car more than hitting someone from behind. When you race midpack, with a big grid, you cant control how many incident points you will pick up. When you recieve 12-18 points on the first lap only by being hit by others from behind (and you know the track, you know the braking points etc,) there is nothing you can do - except choosing not to take part, which cant be to the benefit of the platform.

9. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Well, you missed the point. My point and not only mine is that if you're clean and competent, you will not be a victim of the system. you can get 20 incident points on the first lap and still gain reputation at the end of the race.

Stop counting points and think how you can adapt your driving to come on top.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joakim Tärnström

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    You don’t seem to realise how condescending your reply is. It is assuming you are a better driver, and Im the one that needs to step up. I have proven that I know how to race cleanly, in particular against highly ranked drivers. You may increase your rating if even if you have 20 incident points after one lap, however the likelihood of you increasing your reputation is pretty slim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The way I get around this is by not caring. I don't care if my rating goes up or down, and I don't care if my reputation goes up or down.

I race clean and I enjoy the race for what it is, whether I'm racing for top 5 or 15th, it doesn't matter.

Ignore the numbers. Race the cars.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Joakim Tärnström

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    So what’s the purpose of the ranking system if we don’t care about the numbers?

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Eventually it's there to match players of equal skill together. For now, not much. If you are playing a racing game but then not racing because you are worried about losing a few points then you're doing it all wrong. Enjoy the racing and let the points sort themselves out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    There's the thing... Caring about your rep increases the racing safety for everyone around you, that's a plus. But 1) it comes at a price of you being tad slower; 2) in an atmosphere like that, more aggressive drivers have the upper hand because they care less and are ready to sacrifice the public good for their own benefit.

The system is obviously there to improve the racing etiquette. "Ignore the system" shouldn't be the answer when people complain about bad racing etiquette. Because not only it confirms the system doesn't do what it should do; it also encourages working against the goals of the system.

"This is the only system that works" - that statement needs more proof to be taken as a final answer. Some games use it. Some use different systems - why? Probably their devs have their reasons not to implement it and instead work on different solutions.

"It'll sort itself out eventually" - I hope it will, time will tell. But again, that's not a final answer, yet.

P.S. I am not against the current system! I'm just pointing out that your arguments in its defence aren't all that solid. Acknowledging its possible flaws is the way to improve it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Clearly you are just taking what I said out of context and ignoring the bit where I said "I race clean".

No I don't care about my rep number, because it's over 90 and it always has been, that's not because I'm protecting my stats it's because I don't drive like a dick.

If people want to stop racing and watch numbers because "boo boo I lost 5 points and it wasn't my fault" then that's their problem. I'm not even defending the system, it is what it is, pros and cons, but it's there for everyone regardless.

16. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the system and the "ignore it" advice.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Was it advice or just a statement of how I approach it? The latter I think you will find.

18. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if I read too much into it. It just that those two statements were quite close to each other and seemed to me like they talk about kinda the same thing.

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well one of the statements wasn't even me so not sure why it's being directed my way, although I also agree with what he said.

Not entering a race because you MIGHT lose some points is ridiculous. In my last 3 races I've dropped about 35 ranking points, and those were due to my mistake, not anyone else. In one I started mid pack in the f3 and until the penultimate lap was only carrying 4 Inc points due to a slight touch from another racer on the first lap. (Until I binned it in an accident of my own creation).

There's too many people micromanaging their stats, does it matter of you lose a few points? No. Will you more than likely regain them in the next few races? Yes. Over time will your stats accurately reflect both your speed and safety. More or less yes.

Race. Respect other drivers on track. Have fun. Don't worry about the numbers.

20. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Huh? It was directed to both of you, since you both took part in the discussion and share the same thoughts.