Big thumbs up for the sim and the service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chakkman, Sep 30, 2021.

1. chakkman

chakkman Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hey,

avid sim racer here. After spending about 499 hours in Race 07, and, before that, I've driven GT Legends and GTR 1 and 2, and then switched over to some other sims like AC, ACC, raced a bit over 300 races in the official iRacing service, and drove Richard Burns Rally and Grand Prix Legends as well.

I gave R3E a try some years ago, don't even remember exactly when, probably 2018 or 2019, and remember not being overly excited about it. Especially the FFB didn't suit me at that time. Some days ago, I decided to give it another try, after watching some touring cars videos (BTCC especially), and some races of the esports WTCR. I bought the WTCR 2020 pack, and gave the cars a go, on the free content tracks, and, boy, did it remind me of Race 07, and the great races I had in multiplayer there. :) In another forum, I read some stuff about R3E, and always dismissed the game, because I'm into realistic driving physics, so, based on what I read, I always thought R3E was a bit more on the arcade-y side, but, driving a bit with the WTCR cars, and also with the Tatuus F4, which I also bought then, taught me the opposite. It's every bit as good and realistic as AC or ACC in my opinion. Really nice to drive, those cars, and the FFB is very good now as well.

I also like the ranked multiplayer. It might need some more features (for example, it would be great to see the ranking and reputation of the other drivers in the results after the race session, in the portal), and, a real league for the different cars like in iRacing would be great as well, but, it definitely has a lot of potential. I also found that, so far, the people competing in those races were racing quite fair and civilized. Of course, that can vary from race to race, maybe I just got lucky so far.

So, yeah, I'll definitely spend more time with the sim. Sector 3 has really done a great job with it. I also like that it's the sim with the best interface. AC and ACC are quite horrible in that regard, to be honest.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  2. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    The interface details (such as car settings) is amazing and better than anywhere else. It lands itself to logical experimentation by visually showing (default, previous, and current values). Those indicators are SO useful (but yet, never discussed) !!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  3. Bryce Waard

Bryce Waard Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    It’s really just getting better with each update and I find that I’m spending more and more time on RRE than other sims.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    If this title would get a visual upgrade to DX12 (Raytraced shadows, SSAO, etc..) it would instantly take the crown. Of course, for lower powered machines, one could reduce the graphics settings...

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  5. Bryce Waard

Bryce Waard Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yep, agreed. One step at a time, now it’s time to run those new Mercs around the track!

6. chakkman

chakkman Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    TBH I'm glad that it still runs on my 2014 PC... so, I'd rather not have a graphics update, which brings down performance on my machine. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I also have a quite old PC and I'm happy that raceromm works "good enough" on it.
    But as soon as I will get a new one (whenever that will be) my 1st post will be "I want DX12" (sarcasm off).

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    and in physics too...drive a brick in ACC.

9. chakkman

chakkman Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    The physics were never my issue in the Kunos Simulazione sims, to be honest. Apart from cars feeling a bit too heavy (maybe that's what you mean), they feel fine to me.

Don't get me started about iRacing though... so much which is wrong there, especially about the tyre physics.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'm just about to hit 800 hours in R3E and even though I finally upgraded from my "built in 2009" pc and can finally play ACC, I still prefer RaceRoom, and even though the others ( AC, ACC, RF2) are all very good as well, I probably don't have much more than 100hrs into them combined! There's just something that feels so good about driving in R3E that keeps me coming back!

Which reminds me...To the guy who sold me the "Not Working - For Parts Only" Thrustmaster TX for $56 a couple of years ago...After just a brief 900 hours of testing, I've concluded that the wheelbase, in fact, works just fine!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Where does it show default/prev/current ? I must miss it somehow. Thanks.

12. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yeah true - which was one of the reasons AC never made its way on my HD permanently. ACC of course is "State-of-the-Art" and I really like it so far, but "Hip" or "State-of-the-Art" doesn't necessarily mean "accessibility" in all areas (Interface too). And for me that includes the "MS-Flight Simulator" like options ACC has. I simply want to race around a track with good authentical physics. Becoming a Race Engineer is not part of that expertise for me ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bryce Waard

Bryce Waard Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I can’t live without AC. I’m huge into mods of any game, so that feeds my obsession. No, it’s not the best on the physics side, but dang it looks pretty with CSP and SOL…add in the RSS cars and you have a pretty good time

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1