Resolved Black screen on startup - new system and install

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Mike Demers, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    I have well over 250hrs into this game and just recently built a new system. (spec in signature) I had backed up my steam install and transferred it to the new system. All other sims working fine ( AC, Automobilista RF, RF2 PCars, F1 2015) after the backup. I will attach a few screen shots of the problem I am having.
    I get the small raceroom box saying game is starting. Screen goes black and then I get mouse pointer and the steam overlay popup in the bottom right. That's as far as I get. I can alt/tab out and check in task manager and game hasn't crashed. All motherboard drivers are latest - running latest AMD drivers 17.1.1 and running at 2560x1080
    Here is what I have tried.
    -Verified integrity of game cache mutliple times- no problems.
    - Deleted all files in the SIMBIN dir in documents
    - added -cefNoGPU -cefNoBlacklist to startup options
    - uninstall and complete reinstall twice

Any help would be greatly appreciated - looking forward to running this system with R3E!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
  3. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks, so my value was TRUE - I have now changed it to FALSE and now get a crash report...progress I guess.
    Exception code 0xC00000FD and a dump file created.

Attached Files:

4. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    There was something about colours 16 bit ?

5. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I tried removing the file all together and got another crash and then deleted the entire user data file but still getting a crash now.

Attached Files:

6. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    last update tonight - got to get to bed. I have found if I dont start the game by clicking on Run as admin I get the error that generates the dump file. Perfect right....no. When I start as admin, the game starts and runs but for some reason my wheel is limited to 200 degrees rotation...I then have to do the 4 button push to bring wheel back to default.....maddening. I have tonnes of experience with this game and never had issues - got a decent system now and nothing but issues only on this title.

7. Andy Blade

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Hang in there sure devs will look on Monday if not before and maybe someone else will chip in

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Here is a bit of an update.
    Game will start and run if I tell it to run as admin BUT when I do that, it seems to lock the wheel at 200 degrees rotation. My profiler is set to allow game to change setting and I am using same profile I used on my old system, and I made a brand new profile just in case. I can do the G27 trick but pushing a series of buttons to make the wheel default to 900 degrees but when I do tha none of the wheels setting in game are right for steering lock at that point. I did try my old i5 system earlier and it works perfectly with R3E. The Only differences between the 2 system other than speed is the old system was running W10 Pro and this one runs W10 Home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    have you checked if the correct driver is installed on your new system? Windows will automatically install the latest LGS but that version isn't compatible with the G27.

10. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Double/ triple checked. I had downloaded all my drivers before installing.

11. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    hm, you can try to reinstall the driver. I had some problems after reconnecting the wheel to a different USB-Port. With a reinstall the problem was gone.

12. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if Logitech updated the driver again and that is the issue?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp - that can happen - but not Logitech is the one who updated the driver. Windows is updating the installed drivers automatically and so you would get the latest LGS-Version.

14. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
  15. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    yeah, I had that happen a few times on the old system. I'm sure its video based as I shouldn't have to start the game as admin just to get video.

16. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Another update. Tried running Automobilista as ADMIN in compatibility mode and the same issues with the profiler occur so I think the control issues are a by product of running in admin to make the game start.

I tried letting the black screen sit there for 30 minutes - nothing changes - its as if its in game because you can bring up the overlay. I did notice when I had to kill the game using Task Manager I for a split second caught a glimpse of the menu asking if i want to quit but just for a millisecond

17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Do you remember exactly when you downloaded the driver off of Logitech's website?

Any driver you may have downloaded since ~October 2016 (whether it was a Win7/8/10 or 32/64 bit) is hopelessly broken and will not work properly with RR or any other racing game. Wheel rotation is all sorts of screwed up. Logitech seemingly had the bright idea to silently update the driver on the download page and it broke everything. :p

There is a thread about this on Race Dept. - click. I came to the same conclusion in the thread before reading it, and used an old driver install from my old pc that was on Win 7 even though i transitioned to Win 10.

If you have your previous driver install still on an old hard drive, just copy over every single file in the install folder and let it overwrite the files in your main hard drive where it is currently installed. Otherwise, I think that thread at RD has a download link for drivers that arent broken, although I havent tested them personally. The guy that posted them is legit though, so i wouldnt worry about using them if you go that route.

This is of course, taking into consideration that the game starts... and the problem is the Logitech drivers.

This seems to confirm the drivers issues I mention.

Since you experience the issues in other games, I am nearly certain you are using the hopelessly broken Logitech drivers.

I might have to try to get in touch with our devs here and see if they have any contacts at Logitech to let them know of the issue. Perhaps they do and can tell logitech to fix their $#!@. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Reading through your posts a bit more... were you using your 2560x1080 monitor with your old system? I wonder if you are having some graphics problems with the game. You mention already deleting everything in your user data folder... which I would have told you to do, so Im not sure if this is actually a problem then at all or not.

19. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I agree the driver seems suspect when running as admin but the original issue of a black screen exists even with the drivers uninstall and the wheel disconnected.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Good info then.

May just have to see if a dev can look into that crash log then and come up with something. Off the top of my head, I dont really have a solid idea of what could be causing that.