Resolved Black screen on startup - new system and install

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Mike Demers, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yeah tell me about. I've been doing this for a long time and never spent so much time and energy on a glitch like this. Dying to give this new system a run in R3E

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    You wrote that you've taken over the steam-installations from your old system. Maybe you should give it a try and make a new installation of the games. Maybe windows has some problems with the new user-profile and the old installation done wirh a different user-profile on the old system.

3. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yes. My race sims live on a SSD and all my other games live on another. Since the issues began I have uninstalled , deleted all relevant directories and reinstalled twice by redownloading through steam. A completely fresh install.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Crash dump suggests it's an issue with compatibility mode. Check both the RRRE.exe and the Steam exe and make sure they're not running in compatibility mode. Hopefully that's it!

5. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I just checked before leaving for work. Neither of the .exe files are in compatibility mode. the crash dumps are from when I was trying a few suggestions . I am not getting any crash dumps now.
    So to summarize,
    I launch the game, I get the small window saying game is starting, then I get a black screen where normally you get the splash screen. After a few seconds the steam message about the overlay pops up as it normally does once you are at the menu. Its as if the game is running, but no video.

If I start the game as Administrator , the game starts normally but issues with profiler occur , which occurs in any game you start as admin (AC, Automobilsta and PCars) so that's not a R3E issue.

6. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Edit: It's Monday and I can't remember what I read. :C You already tried all that shit I wrote.

7. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Could it be that you run crossfire? Not very well versed in AMD cards but I tried it today and R3E doesn't quite like crossfire.

8. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Its a single card - its called Dual Radeon for dual fans or other marketing reasons..lol - its just a single RX-480 card. My old system had a single R9-380 which is virtually identical and that system still works fine.

9. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Any other ideas here S3?

10. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    new update - same issue with back screen so I left it there and went and ate dinner - came back about 20 minutes later to this screen - I have never left it that long on the black screen. Related ? I dont know

Attached Files:

11. Mike Demers

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    fixed - found an old post on steam from Hannes about going into regedit and removing any instances of compatibility mode from
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers . I had three references to the rrre.exe in there , probably from different attempt - once deleted it was fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Kitsune Magyar

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Nice. I'll have to add that to Hannes' old bible he left me for future reference.