Problem Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Skidmark, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys

Loving the game and the update! Great work!!:)

I do have a problem however which I suspect is caused by R3E: I have started 4 races since the 30/11 update and during 3 of the 4 I have had my computer crash to a BSOD - "whea_uncorrectable_error". On the fourth race I crashed (into another car and spun and restarted the race manually ;)).

The crashes appear to have NOT created a RRRE_crash... dump file - I searched my system and only found some very old ones from 2015 and 2016. I have had 650 hours in this wonderful game with very few problems!:D

I think it's something to do with R3E as it ONLY happens in the game, it happens consistently (3 out of 4 races with one race unfinished) and started occurring only with the update today - never prior to the update. (Note that I have only played with the update AND hotfix; never tried it before hotfix).

Details as follows:

GAME

* 64-bit version running with latest hot-fix and all files verified in Steam
    * Silverstone Grand Prix (BSOD x 2 in lap 1 turn 1; BSOD x 1 lap 3-ish)
    * 51 AI GT3 cars and 1 user Callaway Corvette
    * Running in single screen on high graphic settings (same as before update)

SYSTEM (dx-diag edited highlights!)

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z97X-Gaming 7
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/30/14 12:46:35 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16230MB RAM

--------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Driver File Version: 23.21.0013.8843 (English)
    Driver Version: 23.21.13.8843
    Drivers updated TODAY but problem persists

I realise it could also be that the update/hotfix has exposed a weakness in my system.

I would appreciate your thoughts when you have a moment. I am stumped. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Was your nvidia driver updated as well?
    If so, roll back to previous version.

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    It is a system generated error for a hardware failure somewhere, maybe cpu overheating?
    Try with less cars, 15-20 see if it happens then.

4. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestion schlielchen - it happened on both new and previous NVidia drivers, so not the drivers.

Thanks NLO. OK - I ran a 23 car GT3 race on 64-bit with no problems at all (1/1 successes anyway!). [Update 2/2] (Heaps of fun but that's for another thread.)

It does suggest I have a weak link - I am guessing graphics card rather than CPU as the Steam VR Performance Test said everything on my PC met VR requirements but not my 4-year old GPU which it failed in bold red font which was quite insensitive and hurtful I thought. :p [I am not running VR - just found the performance test very useful.]

I used to be able to run 100-car fields on 32-bit (and probably still can - must try it).

Slightly disappointing but not R3Es fault I suspect - if we want cutting edge, we're going to need the hardware to run it huh? ;)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Two more things:
    a) The bluescreen itself shows a message that tells you what caused the BSoD. While it probably isn't the real cause, it'll point you to it.
    b) get bluescreenview. I'll create a detailed report on what failed. You'll have to reproduce the crash for it .

6. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Try download a program called WhoCrashed, it reads Windows dump files and roughly translates into what the issue maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skidmark

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Thanks both I'll do that as well.

8. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Huh... that' strange I got the bsod last night as well but it was when I was trying to install the realtek codec for audio mixer.... I've never seen this screen before nor did I know it existed. Lol