Blueish color tint in R3R graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mister dog, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Exactly what he said,
    Basically Default is blueish .. So rename it something else.
    Then rename Realistic -> Default

1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I altered the mood files like you said and it improves the overall look a lot. It's still not perfect as it's a bit under saturated, and the cold/blue filter remains although less pronounced (if you look at the cars during a replay for example, you'll see that if they are painted white it comes over as blueish white).

But overall this is better, so awaiting the moment when S3 gives us color and brightness filters (hint!), this is the best alternative :)

3. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Bump! May i ask if there's anything in the pipeline towards this suggestion? Seeing recent screenshots of R3R i still notice the cold blue shine in the color palette so i was wondering. Haven't played in quite some time but lately i've been feeling the urge to jump back in.

4. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I didn't see the blue, now a bit in those screenshots. Weird.

5. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    it is really depends on your screen settings as well...on my monitor it looks great, on my flatscreen TV it is kinda reddish over saturated...

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats true... Pc-monitors are often set to a cold color-temparature (i often see above 9000k) to produce a whiter white which is in fact more blue but for our eyes it looks like clear white.
    You notice the same effect on washing-powder for clothes. The powder for whithe clothes contains blue color to make white shirts more white (for our eyes)

R3e it self has a bit more colder color-pallette than other games. Others like the codemaster games or pcars are using a warmer and more effectfull color-pallette which is far away from natural but somehow often wanted...

7. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I see the same on my TV and when i see R3R screenshots on a couple of other PC's or even on my smartphone, so it's inherent to the game.

To make the graphics look 'perfect' (which is again subjective of course), i would love to have a color and brightness filter in game and turn it a tiny bit to the warmer side. I tried altering the mood filters and that took away the cold colors, but then it turned out a bit under saturated so the graphics whore inside of me is not satisfied still :)

I really don't want to alter the colors on my TV just for one game, as i have those dialed in.
    Anyhow just a suggestion, don't know if it would require a big effort for the devs to give us the option but my hunch is its quite easy to implement.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    easy or not ; with most things its about ; is it a game breaker ? do we have manpower and time ?

small studio , lots of stuff to do and priorities from the game owners (not S3E)

so maybe it will happen but it wont be a quick thing in my honest opinion

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom's graphics usually are set to a quite cold colour temperature, no doubt. Or a "fresh look", if that description is preferred.

PP filters, or better a smooth slider in graphics setup, would be the convenient answer, like you can tune your TV's colour temperature.

Its an item to polish I would keep on the list before finishing and shutting down game development, but more important now is to finally reach a status of feature completeness. Damage model, mixed classes, offline mode, and what else there is left to get working, is more important for the forseeable future. IMO even more important than to ever produce more content in cars and more cars, even tracks. And after including these feature, some of them maybe need additional finetuning afterwards.

But it could nut hurt to remind of the colour temperature thing. I then would ask to consider increasing the track brightness at sunset a bit, too. It would be okay like it is if cars would have real headlights, but they haven't. Its a doomsday apocalpyse race under that light conditions therefore, on some tracks. You stop racing and feel depressed. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Simple RGB sliders in the graphics menu would do it :)

I really like the way the game looks in general, every now and then i think it is a little overbright in places but overall its good.

11. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I quite like the colors to be a little over saturated in general but i do find that morning conditions in particular seem to be too blueish.

Other times of day i think are pretty good tbh.

12. gp20

gp20 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I like how it looks but if they want to implement post filters like AC, why not?

By the way, their AA is really good.

13. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I posted this tweak (renaming the mood files) around a year ago. Unfortunately there was no reply from any Dev :(
    This engine can handle post-processing but it's not given to our hands... As @gp20 mentioned, it should be implemented like in AC.

And, as mentioned ages ago, the realistic mood is way better than the default. Unfortunately nothing changed....

Here a little comparison of the available moods

• Like Like x 4
  14. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I actually think the realistic looks too grey.

15. FunkyChicken

FunkyChicken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Put down your pink sun glasses! That's how real life is! Grey, unsaturated, life-less! :D :D

Seriously speaking, Standard Day and XPROC are out of question, but depending on your screen settings, the default might/will be way to over-saturated.
    It would be great to have the choice ... in-game!

• Like Like x 1
  16. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    yeah i think ill stick with default, realistic makes it look like overcast. which it clearly isnt looking at the sky box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hi Funky, like i said above realistic takes away the overall blue tone, but under-saturates things too. I wonder if a tad more saturation would be added to it, you'd end up with the default blueness again so it is a bit of a double edged sword at the moment.

Different PP filters would be great though.

18. euphoreon

euphoreon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Default looks best to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ouvert

Ouvert Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    realistic is too gray, standard day light is too blue, xproc is just instagram and default seems to be fine .. no blue tint, maybe too vivid in some colors, sky color is not best but fine ... at least on graphic screen ... but different eyes, different screens ...

20. mister dog

mister dog Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I actually experimented a bit with those mood filters yesterday, found a post on steam where 'skro' posted some image comparisons of all 4:

Default:
    [​IMG]

Realistic:
    [​IMG]

Standard day:
    [​IMG]

Xproc:
    [​IMG]

And i feel like a bit of a hypocrite now as i found 'standard day' to be the best one. Seems like it retains the blueness but at least it ups the brightness as i found default a bit too dark. Makes things look better to me as 'realistic' is dark and under saturated and for xproc, well that one looks like you are wearing yellow sunglasses whilst looking at default.. :D