BTCC game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BreadedVirus, May 17, 2020.

1. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    So with the announcement that a BTCC game is coming out next year, ideas on who is making it?

I wouldn’t be shocked if Codemasters got their paws on it.

2. Sauberfan

Sauberfan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    didn't Codemasters said that they work on a new ip

3. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    BTCC would not be a new ip for Codies so are you saying they are not working on BTCC?

When the topic first arose last year,,Codies said they didn't think a BTCC title was viable. Maybe they changed their minds. But Dan Camish was one of the people pushing for a BTCC game and he just happened to visit SIMBIN UK a little while later.

4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I was under the impression Codemasters had the BTCC license tied up for ever and a day, maybe not.

And as for Dan Cammish at Simbin, done a lap or 2 at Brands said it felt good, simillar lap times to the real thing, but there was no shot of his lap time or the track map, my guess is Brands GP done and dusted, bwaaahaahaa ;)

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Who? o_O

Oh right, that phantom developer who have been discussing "release windows" with their "partners" for GTR 3 for forever and a day. I won't hold my breath if they've gotten the BTCC licence. :rolleyes:

Bloody well hope CodeShafters aren't doing it either. They've become a bit of a joke in my view. Here's hoping that a real sim developer is on the case, and that they are more interested in releasing a complete racing experience instead of breaking it up into numerous DLCs.

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Its Kunos, gonna be a DLC for ACC ;)

7. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Unless the video editor was being reeeaaaalllly careful the track was still just the Indy version.

8. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Whoever's doing it, pleeeease include a proper pass at the 90s stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Whoever is making the game will probably want it on PC nad console, so i guess RACEROOM is not doing it...

10. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The more I read into this the more I think Codemasters will be the publisher and Slightly Mad Studios will be the developer.

When Dan Cammish tried to get some traction behind a BTCC game with Codemasters, Alan Gow (series organiser) confirmed there had been ongoing talks with Codemasters (and others) but to sanction a game it would have to be 'all or nothing' in terms of cars and tracks. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-...r-video-game-Codemasters-Alan-Gow-Dan-Cammish

The extensive development that comes with 'all or nothing' seems to be why it hasn't made financial sense before but Slightly Mad Studios already have all of the tracks except Thruxton and Croft modelled and licensed in Project Cars 2 so may have a head start on track development compared with other devs. As well as mentioning a standalone title vs being a DLC on an existing game, Matt Neal's comments on the recent facebook stream (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2592289380995891&id=78434277682) suggested the whole TOCA package would be included, again SMS would have a head start given they already have the Ginetta G50 GT4 and Ginetta G40 Junior.

I hadn't realised but Codemasters announced late last year that it had bought Slightly Mad Studios. With Codemasters' history with the TOCA and TOCA Race Driver games, SMS having a perceived head start on development and both publisher and developer being UK based, I think it's sensible to believe this is the most likely option. If so I hope the game is executed well, I really don't mind the Dirt Rally physics and handling and accepted some of the quirks and issues with Project Cars 1 to play that but found Project Cars 2 to be a broken pile of garbage on anything but a well specced PC.

11. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    OT I found PC2 ran really well on my 2.8 Ghz i5 6400/GTX960 but PCs are strange things :)

Back on topic, SMS are certainly a possibility. However,they are working on the Fast & Furious title and PC3. If the F&F game is a "one-off" with no plans for sequels they might be looking for a new game. As you say, already having a fair few of the tracks would make the game more viable to produce. However, Codies have other studios, including the one that released GRID 2019. Given GRID seems to have been a sales disaster, it might be time to drop this franchise and do a BTCC game with that studio. It has to be a serious possibility. It is even possible they might use SMS models.

But SMS are not the only one with a roster of UK tracks. Kunos will have a pretty full roster with the British track pack for ACC. And once GT4 is out, its not clear where ACC can go in the longer term. Season updates no doubt but not really enough to keep the whole team busy. Kunos can show Alan Gow their successful partnership with SRO, they have a very shiny graphics engine and can offer a multi-platform title. There is also talk of a beta version. This could be an internal beta of course but if they mean EA, then this fits well with the Kunos way of working.

12. TheOutdriver97

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think I'd prefer Kunos over SMS and I suppose they are going to have to do a lot of the track development work anyway for the British GT DLC.

I think the F&F title could be a release under Namco so I'm not sure there would be a follow up from SMS if they are now Codemasters owned. I think PC3 is definitely continuing under Codemasters and SMS though. Who knows, this could make a BTCC game less likely to come from Codemasters if they think it might take too many sales away from PC3.

The studio behind Grid could be an option sharing data from SMS similar to what T10 and Playground do on Forza. Then I'd worry about the game being a bit arcadey, Grid 1 had a good sensation of speed and hanging the back end of the Chevy Lacetti out was satisfying but it was still arcadey and I've found the subsequent games even worse.

13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i think we all know who will get it....ccccccccccc

Andi

14. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Regardless of who does it and when it comes out, please include a classic season!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Well it wont be Sector 3..you would need Brands GP for that.:p
    Apart from wanting it to be S3, I'd rather it be Kunos than any of the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheOutdriver97

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    This is why I don't understand how they've never managed to make a good business case for making another game since the TOCA and TOCA Race Driver games. Even if they only got the current TOCA package out in the game at launch, they could make a fortune releasing classic BTCC seasons and support series as DLC.

You could get three seasons out of the super touring era (circa 1992-1994 before a lot of the aero and technical development, circa 1996-1998 during the arms race between all of the manufacturer entries and circa 1999-2000 when the cars were hugely developed), two seasons from BTC (2001 when Vauxhall, Peugeot, MG, Lexus and Alfa Romeo all raced and 2005 when the later BTC cars from Vauxhall, Seat and Honda raced), an S2000 season (2009 with Vauxhall, BMW, Ford, Honda, Chevrolet and Seat) and an older NGTC season or two.

Historically, there have also been some brilliant support racing series on TOCA package, the Ford Fiesta Cup in the late 90s and Renault Clio cup from the early 00s to recent years have been highlights for me.