BTCC...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickh158, Feb 22, 2015.

1. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    "Only yesterday Autosport hailed the BTCC as behind only DTM in terms of the world’s major touring car series, and was ahead of the larger, more manufacturer-supported World Touring Car Championship."
    Well, how about it Sector 3 ?? :D

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. studik

studik New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Love the BTCC

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    The DTM may be the fastest and technically most advanced but it's not proper touring cars for the purist. The BTCC is still the best in my opinion.

You get door-to-door racing with large, varied grids of cars that still bear some likeness to their road-going counterparts. It's relatively inexpensive to run a car compared to WTCC with no outstandingly dominant teams. The circuits used on the calendar are more interesting with lots of character and history.

Yes I'd like the BTCC!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Can't stand the BTCC; to me it feels like it follows NASCAR's style of entertainment over racing and that doesn't entertain me. It's become a series all about drivers who have been around forever punting each other off with no penalties whatsoever. Worse than that, it feels encouraged. I might be wrong, that's just the impression I get.

I enjoyed it in the mid-90s, but just like modern DTM I became uninterested in the cars once the 'personality effect' had worn off and I got deeper into sportscars and latterly rallying.

Now, sadly, I look back at BTCC history and there is hardly any period of cars that interests me since the 60s, unlike DRM, ETCC, DTM and various other series.

Just my 2 pennies there :)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    What about V8 Supercars? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I like it a lot. It's how the DTM should be in my opinion - more raw. But I'm British so I'm biased - the BTCC is the best!

Edit - and sorry @Rodger Davies, I don't like to disagree with posts. I don't agree with the 'personality is everything' argument. Yes, the BTCC has some very experienced drivers and interesting characters but I'm pleased that it does compared to the personality vacuum that is Formula One, for instance. It's also more than just drivers being encouraged to punt each other off. The BTCC is all about close sprint racing with drivers going for it 100% to the finish line. It's inevitable that contact happens but the 'rubbin' is racing' spirit is what makes it so fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  7. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Autosport judged many of the tintop series on several different criteria. The V8's were down the order with the FIA WTCC while the DTM were first overall with the BTCC second.

8. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I love german cars and especially the dtm, but btcc is my favorite, it's a shame we don't have an official mod for the series, but from what I've read in the past the btcc license is pretty exspensive....hopefully things will change down the road :)

10. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    That was brilliant :D; and for the impatient, the fun starts at 4:34...
    What about those cars? they look as if they were driven there from some dodgy 2nd hand car dealership. No aerodynamics on those mothers; indeed, no fancy stuff at all.
    I was looking to see where the cassette player was o_O

11. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Here`s another BTCC classic: F1 Champion Nigel Mansell`s ill advised foray into Touring Cars:

12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    can someone link the Autosport artical I'm intrested on what the critera were for v8's to be down the list if this wasnt a personal opinion piece.

13. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I can't see how such an article is anything other than subjective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    where is the artical that is my question? sorry for not being clear

15. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Dunno. Hopefully the OP will link to it. Just saying that I think the BTCC, V8SC and DTM all have a case to be considered the best touring series in the world, and for quite different reasons. Personal opinion plays a part in the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Old Hairpin : One of the most intimidating turns downhill I`ve come to know :) .(Specially with TOCA back in the 90s)
    Donnington is actually a must have, anyway (even I raced it a million times already)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    While I'll happily have BTCC, STCC and any other *TCC out there, I find it more appealing to include other classes than Touring Cars at this point.
    I support V8 Supercars by 110%! :)
    And my regular nag about getting some roadgoing funcars like the Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow, Caterham Super 7, BAC Mono, some of the smaller Radicals...

Edit: Oh, and if any more touring cars, pleeeeeease add some old legendary GT cars, remake GT Legends within R3E, pretty please! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    When I`m not attempting to keep WTCC cars on the road with R3E, I can be found steering the very fun X-Bow around the
    Nordschleife in Assetto Corsa :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I just hate that we so not get BTCC coverage in the states, and finding it online is almost impossible

20. Sparkyplug

Sparkyplug New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How any1 drives that x-bow in Assetto is beyond me under steer then oversteer the under steer again in one corner no thanks lol