Button assignments and types...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Munty, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Munty

Munty New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi there.

Sim racing has certainly had a shot in the arm over the last couple of years and I hope it continues far into the future, there's been a load of advancements from companies building entire cockpit rigs right down to the ever growing diy button box scene.

I've been building extra electrical systems and button boxes for sims for a couple of years now, just for fun, and there's one thing that stands out as an oversight. The type of button assignment in the software. Elite Dangerous does this very well, for every assignment in game there is the option to tell the game if the button is momentary, latched, encoder etc. (The difference between buttons, switches, rotatories.) This would be a great addition and actually not much more logic in the software.

In theory a starter button should always be a momentary push button, but you would want your wipers/headlights to be a latched switch. Raceroom kind of handles this but only by looking at the state-change of an assignment, not if it was on/off at the start of a session. So flick your lights on for session one, in session two they'll be off and your switch now works upside down. Kind of not great.

I recently found a company online, leobodnar.com, if you fancy building a box please give them a visit, they have some great controller boards that are already USB controller ready, no Aurduino code, no faffing with logic, just wire up a button and windows will use it. It's just a shame the sense of realism is lost when you realise all your controls are upside down because RR doesn't read the HID correctly.

Please please have a look at this, it's a really simple way to add a little more realism to the interaction with the sim.
    Thanks.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I agree with this in principle. But raceroom doesn't have wipers or headlights that you can turn on or off. I can't think of anything we have in game that would need a latching switch?

Other sims yes.