Question Buying my first Wheel and Pedals, setup tips?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Dave R, May 12, 2015.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I've bought a Logitech Driving Force GT off eBay and it should be here in a day or two. This will be my first set of wheels and pedals ever. I'm concerned about setting them up for R3E and the Simbin titles (as well as a few others (AC, NR2003, PC, rFactor, etc) but I'll just ask about the Simbin stuff here). Are there any videos online that show how to get that wheel working in R3E, GTR, GTR2, and Race 07 and it's many glorious packs? Is there a step by step guide to setting them up and making sure not to miss a step? If this thread is too far OT, then by all means shut it down, but I'm a noob at this. This game was the final nail in the coffin for me holding out for a wheel and pedals. I so want to play without assists but just couldn't do it with the 360 gamepad. Thanks in advance. I wanted a G27 but just couldn't swing it at the moment.

2. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Dfgt works absolutely fine with R3E. In fact it's the best it ever felt. Your driver/profiler should come in the box but I would find the latest from the logitech site.

I would build up the ffb settings too. Don't go too heavy too soon. You'll feel it when you push it, you'll lose detail in the ffb and you'll overheat it and break it if you do for too long, but you'll get plenty of fb from that wheel. it would be okay to have your driver up at 100% feedback strength but keep the game at about 60 to start with, then build it up.

I don't use it any more but there will be plenty of help I'm sure.

Remember to take time over it and not get too frustrated, you may get lucky and find a setting very quickly, but I've had my T300 3-4 months and I've just found a base setting for it.. HAVE FUN

• Like Like x 1
  3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Its totally easy m8, no worries. Only thing is you have to run it with "old" Logitech Software http://www.hardwaretreiber.de/logitech/logitech-gaming-software-5-10-127/2010/09/14/ and you have to shut it off after you've started RRE (best via Taskmanager) cause it is started automatically with RRE but causes misfunctions.....after you installed & connected your Wheel at your desk (don`t connect the USB plug but start the lgs software and drivers to install (& wait for instructions). As soon as it is installed you can calibrate and configure your wheel. If marked you should undo "combined pedals". The standard settings for the wheel are actually ok. Don`t forget to deactivate LGS software after (when you have started RRE)..Now you can start to configure ingame. Here also the standard settings for FFB are slightly okay - it anyway needs some experience & practice to configure it along with your needs.
    Maybe you find the FFB strength to hard (turn it down to 145% or less). I also recommend to set the dead zone for the steering to 1% (it feels really nervous with no deadzone). Steering Ratio I have 270° / 11-12 Lock for Protos and DTM and such and 540°/23 for all other cars but that you can arrange to your own liking.
    What I did to pimp my wheel a little is to buy some bar tape for bicycles cause the wheel itself feels very thin and plastic-like compared to my old Momo (or the G27). It definitetly brings a much better grip and feel ti your hands and makes it appear very "solid" ...I really can recommend that procedure for better driving experience....well so far, guess other users have some good tips and hints as well ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all so very much. I have copied and pasted both of these posts down and will make sure to reference them when I get the wheel and pedals. I do have one more question. I do the majority of my gaming on a MacBook Retina 15 with Windows 7 installed. I have a few racing games installed on the Mac Side (F1 2013, Dirt 2 and Dirt 3). I cannot find drivers for this wheel (or any logitech wheel) for Mac. Is it a case of plug it in and it works or does it not work at all since there's no drivers for it anywhere on the net? Thanks again for all the help!!

5. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Ah....it works sort of.... No feedback though. Consider boot camp for Windows. You can dual OS your Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'm fine without the feedback I suppose. I play most everything on the PC side anyways in Windows 7 whats a few more games hehe

7. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Here's one more question and sorry to be one million question marvin but are the paddle shifters necessary? I see them on Amazon and eBay for $30 or so and was wondering if they're needed.

8. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I still have my set actually... One paddle is slightly lose, needs a new spring... Anyways... Much more comfortable with imo, but plenty of people get on fine without.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I might shoot you a PM machwebb if it's ok with links to see which ones you got. Thanks again to everyone for the help!!

10. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    these....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thank you sir!!

12. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to say thanks again for the helpful tips in this thread. I got my wheel and I got it all setup in Raceroom and Nascar 2003. I ran a few laps in Raceroom (none of em valid of course lol). It's hard to break a habit of driving with a controller for well over 30 something years. I'll be sure and clean off my messy computer desk and show a pic in the setup soon. Thanks again. This community rocks!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    @machwebb ,
    just to clarify : you can use these paddles for the DFGT ? How does it work ?
    I ask cause thats another point where I was a bit disappointed with the DFGT (while handling and feedback is superb) : These tiny knobs you always have to hit exactly one can hardly name "paddles"...:rolleyes:

14. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    They clamp the center of the wheel, the paddles press the dfgt buttons when you pull the paddles. Wheel changer.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  15. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Thx a lot.....:)
    Really cool (the practical sense of Asians again) but I'm worried it is not available in Germany...I'll have a look....

16. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    If not, give me a shout. I don't need mine. The upshift spring is broken but it's easy to replace.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  17. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Whew I am finally done. I got it setup for all the games and I forgot how many racing games I had.

• Funny Funny x 1