Buying on Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockmoon26, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    After comparing prices on Steam and the R3E store I realized some packs are actually cheaper on Steam compared to the R3E store, which is why I'm wondering if there is any difference to buying cars on steam rather than the R3E store.
    Thanks

2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    depends where you live etc...

3. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    No, there isn't any difference between R3E store and Steam content for R3E content.

If it is cheaper for you in the steam store, then, buy it from steam if the pricing is better for you.

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Seeing that you live in Canada, the currency conversion shouldn't do that much in your favour, does it?

The two packs that are slightly cheaper on Steam are DTM '92 and ADAC GTM 2014. Just bear in mind that if you want to buy those it eventually would be the most money saving way to buy vRP here: http://raceroomstore.com cause you'd get an additional discount on the vRP you buy (f.e. 30 % if you buy 5000 vRP).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the problem is that the R3E shop has everything in USD, for example WTCC 2014 on the site is $10.00 USD which is $14.00 CAD, whereas the steam shop is $10.00 CAD.

6. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've also heard if you buy a car pack in the R3E shop which contains tracks you already have you get an additional discount? I assume this discount doesn't carry over onto the steam store.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That is correct. The content you already own gets deducted from the price. Here's the FAQ post where the discount system is explained: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...ence-faq-and-game-features-w-i-p.72/#post-218
    (It's the so called dynamic discount and it only applies to the R3E store, not steam)
    Sounds a little complicated but really isn't. You pay for what you buy, if you already own a track you don't pay for that again in another pack. If you already own a car model and buy the same in a different class (f.e. ADAC GTM and GTR3), you only have to pay for the addition livery you need to purchase.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This might be a tight call... AfaIk you can't pay in CAD at http://raceroomstore.com but have to pay with USD too. So the conversion would probably make that option slightly more expensive than steam store, but as mentioned above, mind the dynamic discount.

9. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I started to calculate the prices, for example buying DTM experience 2015 (Steam) and the European Track Pack (R3E Shop) would actually be more expensive than rather buying everything in the R3E shop. The total is 3797 VRP and you can buy 5000 VRP for two dollars cheaper.
    Also in the picture is that extra discount the dynamic discount?
    So yeah you were right, buying bundle VRP is the cheapest route, thank you!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    No, it's a discount that is granted for buying the vRP needed to make that purchase through the game's store (the store buys vRP and then pays the content with those).
    It's basically the same discount you get at http://raceroomstore.com , but it's capped at 18 % whereas buying 5000 vRP receives 30 %, 10000 is 35 % off. Note that if you buy vRP from said store and use those to buy in the R3E store, there won't be an additional discount like the one in that picture.

The dynamic discount get's applied without special notice. You can see that the combined price for DTM 2015 and the Euro trackpack is much lower than what it would cost to buy those individually, that's the dynamic discount being accounted for. The tracks that are in DTM get deducted from the Euro pack.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So by buying 5000 vRP and using that vRP to make the purchase you don't get the 13% discount? Or would it be the exact same?

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    There are some special cases (like ADAC 2014 or DTM 92 or when you live in a country with a good conversion rate) in which it is better to buy via steam, but in general the bulk vRP option is the most affordable one, especially if you already own some content and plan on buying more.

No problem, you're welcome. Hope it helped a little. Admittedly it's not the simplest store setup, but once you've gotten your head around it it's ok and actually not that expensive.

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this discount is a bulk vRP discount applied if you pay with real money in the R3E store. If you pay with vRP you already own that discount won't be applied. It's basically the store page buying vRP from the raceroomstore page and then using those to make the actual purchase, which won't be needed if you buy the vRP in advance yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Oh I see but the discount is limited to 18% when you use real money?

15. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yes. You can test by simply putting loads of stuff in your cart, it will stop going up once it reaches 18 %.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rockmoon26

Rockmoon26 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Also, for the single car buys, lets say you buy a single McLaren MP4-12C GT3 car, what can you do with it?

17. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Ok,it may seem like a shameless plug but I think my beginner's guide titled"Welcome!A beginner's guide to the world of R3E" that is a few pages back in this forum will help you quite a bit.Edit:For convenience it is on page 13.

18. Ashmaster02

Ashmaster02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering before I buy, how does buy vRP from the store work. Do I have to sign into my steam account after I make the purchase? I'm just not sure how it gets the vRP into my account.

19. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    After you buy vRPs, you receive a code by e-mail, you log in R3E and redeem that code. Very simple.

20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean in terms of gameplay? You can do everything really, you only need to own one car (f.e. the McLaren) of a class (e.g. GTR3) and you can use it in all single player modes and multiplayer.
    That's one of the advantages of the single purchases, you don't need to own every car or livery of a given class but you can still race against all the other cars in that class and they can use all available liveries (there are even some hidden ones you can't buy (yet)).
    If there's a GTR3 mp server all you need is one GTR3 car and the track that is being used and you can join, regardless which cars the other players are using.