Camera tricks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The_Grunt, Apr 2, 2016.

1. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Okay fellows, here is something to try for the immersion in cockpit...

First go to the folder \Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars, and you'll se a list of folders for every car in R3E. Go to the folder, for this example to the Radical SR9 Turbo, that is the Radical AER. And under that, there is a Camera folder, like it exists for every car.

Now, actually wait, before we continue further, just go out and drive that car in practice or whatever in Lacuna Seca, like you have always done. Then before you quit, set your cockpit camera movement to 40/100. You can bind keys for that action on control settings. Done, OK.

Then after having some Radical fun, quit and go to that Camera folder and you see a file called cockpit_driver_view_triple.xml. Every car has a file with the same name. Open that file in notepad, and first edit the line <orientationSpeed type> to the following:

<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{20.00000000 75.00000000 10.00000000}</orientationSpeed>

This is an old trick mentioned in RD forums. It smoothens out the cockpit cam fluctuations and centers your view more to the road.

Then, edit next lines to following:

<rightRollLimit type="float32">20.00000000</rightRollLimit>
    <leftRollLimit type="float32">20.00000000</leftRollLimit>

They should be 0.00000000 or so to all cars in their respective folders. Now, what that change does, at least to me, after the change, your view, the cockpit camera rolls a little bit giving a better sense of inertia and g-forces. It is a subtle effect with those values at least, and the faster you drive, that is like with the prototypes, the more clearer the effect is. Radicals and Laguna Seca with several quite fast turns, are quite good cars for testing the effect. Start with one car, if you aren't happy, it's easy to roll back. If you are happy, then good luck, you have several folders to go with. You can do a batch file to do that job, but because I suck at them, I did it manually because I can do 30 manual jobs in the time I figure out a proper batch file.

Ok, so give some feedback. Hopefully all this is just not in my head (and beer bottle) and tilting effect is still there. I did test it few times, though :confused:

Edit: test with any of the prototypes, of course, if you don't have radicals. Car folders are pretty self explanatory, so you can choose what ever you like.

Edit2: And of course, you can apply this effect to just those cars you like.

• Like x 6
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I played with <orientationSpeed type="Vector">{30.00000000 0.00000000 30.00000000}</orientationSpeed>
    It was already very nice. But you nailed it with the rolls and the other settings.

Thank you very much.

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Should probably mention that single screen users would have to edit "cockpit_driver_view.xml" instead of the triple screen one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Demerzel

Demerzel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What should I do to get the same dashcam camera view what is introduced in ac 1.5?

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Can we get all these adjustments in the UI at some point rather than having to root around in text files?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I've made the changes and don't see what it is I'm looking for in terms of a driving difference?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Most prominently, the horizon not shaking/bouncing anymore. You can compare by editing one of the proto cars and driving it on Macau, Laguna, Brands, Hungaro...any bumpy track.
    Then switch cars to one of the un-edited proto's, you should see that the horizon and surrounding don't bounce but the cars body moves more in relation to the camera with the edited cam file, whereas it will bounce quite noticeably without.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Ah good that would be useful thanks...I was testing at a smooth track :)

9. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to get Notepad++ if you don't want to waste 2 hours editing all the cars :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Great trick and works well ... also Notepad++ is definitely a huge time saver !!!

11. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    How does that save time then? I don't have it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    thanks man!!!
    absolutely recommend trying these cameras modifications ,
    thanks again ,and if you have more tips like these , I would love to know

13. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Same question as @kamackeris ... How does it save time ?
    I have been playing with different values since a few weeks now, using Notepad...

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    You can also use this...

Locking Camera to Horizon

...with link helpfully provided by @Bailey Lagstrum. I use the same program to batch change camera values.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips on these edits, they're really helpful.

I've tried playing with the numbers (I saw in another thread that the orientationSpeed values are pitch, yaw, and roll respectively), but can't figure out if there's a way to increase the forward/backward head movement. It's pretty good so far, but I like the exaggerated movement in Forza, under acceleration and especially under braking, and was wondering if it's possible to get something like that in R3E?

Here's a random example:

17. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    just increase the cockpit movement, and you will get that effect.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  18. Supermini

Supermini Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll try that! I had it at 60-70 as per another thread, but I'll try turning it up to 100 and see how it feels.

19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Even with the setting turned all way up to 100 you will NOT get that effect of being thrown forward or pushed back in your seat unfortunately. Sorry heppsan but what you told is wrong - do wish it were true though ! :cool:

20. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You don't get it to the extent that you get it in Forza, but here at S3S we promote save driving and therefore all our virtual drivers are putting on their seat belts before going out on track.

Seriously, that effect in Forza is totally exaggerated, it's like the guys neck is made of rubber.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1