Car physics is stupid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peste, Mar 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yup I have been taking a break myself. For the last 6 years I’ve played almost every day. But for the last few months I’ve cut it down to once or twice a week. When the whole pandemic thing started we decided to turn the back yard into a vegetable garden. I live in Hawaii and literally 90% of our food is imported. Which is stupid in my mind. And that’s takes most of my time nowadays.
    Anyway yah the dtm 92’s are among my favorites as well. Still adjusting to the physics on those. I’ve just about got it to where I can keep them on the track. Still struggling with 2nd to 1st when down shifting. . Otherwise getting a handle on them as well, like Alex said, gotta brake way earlier.

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You shouldn't really need 1st gear in normal driving, even hairpins can be taken in 2nd

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yep, this is true. It's very common for first to only see use when pulling out of the pit garage and at race starts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,
    Yes the endurance specs car is definitely easier to drive than previous, Supercup spec. I remember it was very easy to lock brakes, but besides that it wasn't that difficult IIRC. On contrary many people said, that rFactor 2 Supercup spec car is too difficult, specifically too oversteer-prone with the default setup, that it comes in rF2. I don't own rf2 version, but from what I read they "overdone" it, and you have to change setup, perhaps unrealistically (e.g. very low tire pressures) so it doesn't constantly try to kill you. Anyone tried it to confirm? I also don't own iRacing version, but I've heard and read(e.g. iRacing forums) few opinion of drivers who raced them in real life and in general they said it's quite accurate, but there are some differences(not only how tires behave at the limit).
    I used to race AC version and it seems too easy to drive, not that much different than GT3 class cars.
    BTW: from the quote above I understand the Supercup spec will be back along with other classes. Is it going to be rather sooner or later?

5. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    both versions are available for some time already, check out the store

6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I drive the iracing and RR supercup cars quite a lot and in general their behaviour is very similar. The Iracing car is a lot more unstable on the brakes with the rear trying to come around. Having never driven one in real life I can't say which is a better simulation but the fun factor is higher in the RR version, you can really push and hustle the car and while it will bite back it's more predictable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks
    Thanks, it’s good when cars behave similarly between sims. It suggests they got it right, despite using different approaches, physics engines etc. I’ve found that, often same cars handle quite differently at specific situations (e.g. trail braking, or especially when driving over the limit). Specifically in Raceroom, since last big physics update (in December 2019 IIRC) GT3 cars, but also e.g. the 911 Cup car, are more tricky to drive at the limit, because there’s a less margin of error when a car starts to oversteer - tyres just keep sliding and you no longer can do anything to stop spinning. In rF2 it seems you can still recover at high slip angles, and for sure grip loss is more progressive. This is also the case with AC GT3, but to a bit lesser extent. I’m aware modern racing slicks have more sudden grip fall off, so perhaps that’s actually more close to real GT3 behavior.

8. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok I see it’s the Carrera Cup Deuchland

• Like Like x 1
  9. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom - Porsche 911 GT3 and Cup - seems absolutely same.
    About rFactor - rf's GT3 Cup is similar to RR's Deutsche Cup (without TC & ABS). One of my favorite cars. And my Nordschleife times at this car at rF & RR are same. So, rFactor's and Raceroom cars have same nice physics.

10. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmm.. Porsche 911 GT3 and Cup shouldn't feel the same as Cup should have much less aero and not so good brakes.
    Also it's interesting you find driving rF2 version so similar to RR's Deutsche Cup. On rF2 forums there were many people who said, that with default setup it was too difficult, too oversteer-prone etc. Perhaps some of them just got used to GT3 class cars that they couldn't adjust to more unforgiving and challenging car. Also maybe S397 changed something with setup or physics since the release(but haven't found such info). Besides someone said, that with setup close to real Porsches Performance Setup for 2018 gen 2 and Michelin data it became less difficult in rF2 and achieving real life laptimes. AFAIK in all sims (maybe except AC and "Boxer Cup" in Automobilista ) this car was developed with some feedback from racing drivers who drove it in real life, so no wonder it drives similarly. Although I'm aware 3 drivers can have 3 different opinions and not everyone gives detailed, specific feedback.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Exactly and it clearly doesn't feel the same, like the GT3-R.
    The rF2 Super Cup configuration feels similar, with a bit more locking on the brakes, IMO.
    But you can also configure (in showroom) the Cup in rF2 to be the Endurance version with ABS and an adjustable softer suspension and another adjustable mid-soft suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

rain/storm, no assists, rf GT3 Cup. Full Raceroom alternative - Deutschen Cup. And I really didn't feel any difference between Raceroom 911 GT3 and 911 GT3 Cup :) But deutch cup ... :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

In RR deutchen cup - now my favorite RR car. Speed 300+, no assists, low downforce.... very interesting car :)
    rf: https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/detail/40/
    rr: http://game.raceroom.com/store/cars/porsche-carrera-cup-deutschland-2019/porsche/porsche-911-gt3-cup

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  13. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    interesting, so you didn’t notice a difference between rF2 911 Cup in rain, and RR Deuchland Cup (dry oc)?
    BTW: yesterday I got Endurance pack that includes the 911 Cup (3 specs), Nürburgring Nords and 2 other cars (although 1 of them I already bought). It’s a matter of time when I’ll get RR version:)
    I’m surprised it’s much easier to drive, than I thought, even with default setup in rF2, because on forums comments suggested it’s too difficult to drive. I must admit I made few mistakes that caused spins/crashes on Nords at first , but I wasn’t really careful, and pushed the car as if it was GT3 class. On high speed corners I went off the road couple times too, because wasn’t used to low aero:). It’s certainly quite challenging, but after few laps you can get used to, even with default setup which is also not tuned for Nords.
    I test drove Cup Deuchland in RR and in deed they seem to handle similar. There are some differences, especially in rF2 I’m more likely to recover from oversteer/slide. In RR when the rear really starts sliding it’s often too late and not recoverable. That’s similar behavior that was introduced in GT3s.
    But overall they are much closer than AC version or even AMS “Boxer Cup”

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  14. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I always thought that ACC have too much grip and stability in comparison to all other sims. A lot easier to drive if that is the argument.

Just to clarify, not a big fan of too easy or too hard. RR is somewhere in between. Realistic or not I dont know, but the most important thing for me is if the car physics are belivable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Playing RR I can use some rally methods. I dont think Sector3 programmed these methods specially. They not used at shorttrack, but methods working. May be only one explanation - RR honestly simulate car's physics.

16. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    RR's Carrera Cup rear sliding - coverable. My RR's and rF's Nordschleife laptimes - similar, therefore - cars and tracks are similar. But work with rear sliding in RR more difficult than rF. RR more difficult to drive than rF. I dont know where it more realistic, but difficult - RR more interesting.

buddyspike, try Zonda without TC :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    This conclusion is very dangerous. :D Similar laptimes can have a lot of reasons and occur with even totally different underlying driving models. The tracks are similar, but not the same, btw.. The rF2 scan is quite a bit younger and the R3E NoS is the "rougher" track.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Partly agree :) PC2 laptimes also are very close ))))

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Re the rear sliding and recovery, I know Alex has been doing a lot of work on the tyres in this area, improving the feel at and over the limit. I don't know when these improvements will make it into the public game and which cars they will be applied to but I can say that the ability to catch slides and recover the car is much improved. Watch this space.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    pCars2 laptimes should be a quite a bit faster in general comparison...