Cars Accurately Modeled?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DougDude, Jan 18, 2019.

1. DougDude

DougDude New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to R3E. I'm curious about the modeling of the cars. How is it done? What exactly is modeled?

I'm not even sure if I can define what accurate is, but I'm curious as to the approach... and maybe how the approach compares to other sims.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    The cars are modeled from data supplied by teams and manufacturers with input from real world drivers in some of the series that are featured.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    To cover what exactly is modeled would take a long time. The Raceroom physics engine began life as the ISIMotor2 physics engine, as used in rFactor, GTR2, RACE 07 and Game Stock Car. ISI developed it to meet rFactor's needs and Simbin developed it to meet their needs, so the engines are not identical but a look at what rFactor simulates will tell you a great deal about what Raceroom simulates.

http://yoss.free.fr/rfactornfr/Modding_Tutorial_Website/PhysicsGlossary.shtml

From the original base, turbo modelling, transmission synchro, damage and torsional flex have been added along with better 4WD implementation. I'm sure there are other areas too. Hybrid power and TC/ABS seem to be areas current sims have had to work on since the days of rFactor.

Comparisons with other sims are bound to be controversial. I shall try to be objective but bear in mind this is only my opinion. Racerooms "empirical" slip curve tyre model is the oldest, but it is mature and hopefully well understood. More modern "theoretical" or "physical" tyre models, while certainly offering potential advantages, seem to have proved problematic to develop, even allowing for the fact that physics are always evolving and capable of being improved. IRacing is perhaps the obvious example with V7 coming out soon, but rF2 and pCARs have also had or still have issues. These more modern tyre models also require greater processing power meaning it cannot be used by AI.

One area Raceroom differs from rivals is the complexity (or lack of it) in terms of setup options. This must be a design decision as titles sharing the same basic physics engine, such as GTR2 and rFactor allow far more options.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019