Problem Cars dancing all over the track

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by taonindo, Oct 16, 2021.

1. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have searched until my eyes are bleeding but cant find any info on why other cars are all over the place,sideways, twitching back and forth. They look like they are spinning out. Makes it impossible to pass cleanly. (not that Im fast enough to pass other cars) Seems to be worse when im monitoring a race.
    Dont know how to do video but Ill figure it out if that will help.
    8 core 4.0g amd cp
    16g ram
    nvidia 970 gtx
    windows 7 pro
    thrust master tmx
    Not sure what other info I can give but I bet I missed something.
    Thank you in advance

2. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Online or Offline Racing?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    From your description it looks like it's a connection issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Went into "single player - practice" and every car is fine or working like they should be. Connection issue is the one thing I didnt think it could be. I am hard wired in and it is supposed to be high speed ..... or that is what I am paying for. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    In the lobby menu with the list of rooms you can order by your ping to that room, do that and go to the room with the lowest ping number and see if that works. The higher your ping, the more likely you´ll see dancing cars or even get kicked from the room as others will have the same issue with your car even if their ping is OK.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I've raced against people from all over the world and never saw anything as bad as described in the OP. It's worth checking out the lowest ping servers, of course. I just wanted to mention that high ping won't necessarily lead to all cars dancing around. I suspect there's something more than just that.

7. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I went to a room with a ping of under 50.The cars are not as bad but still not stable. But there was only 2 others in the room. I typically go into a room with a ping under 180. I think I was told that 180 was the outside or highest I should go to maintain smooth graphics.

8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    What ping and download speeds do you get if you run a speedtest?

9. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    speed test results
    ping- 21 ms
    jitter-6 ms
    download- 302.5 mbps
    upload- 19.5 mbps

10. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    are these bad numbers?

11. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The values are good, the question is where are you and where are the servers you connect to? And what ping do you have there? If you are for example in the USA and connect to servers in the EU, you will have the problems you described, just because of the distance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    21 is quite a high ping for a speedtest with an ethernet cable. I am getting 7. Your upload speed is also about 5% of your download so there is something weird going on there it seems.

Where are you located?

13. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Boise Idaho, U.S.A. or pacific north west area, the speed test connects to Idaho Falls which is about 300 miles from here. Not sure it helps but could that be a issue?

I almost forgot, I have been running in the lowest ping I can find. Not many other players but they do seem to be much more stable for the most part.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So you are best served only connecting to N.A based servers then as European ones will cause issues. What type of connection do you have? Fibre or ADSL? It´s unusual to have such a low upload rate compared to download nowadays unless it´s an older line like ADSL.

15. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what my service is, it isnt fiber. I think its cable or at least that is what is running into the modem/router. Calling the provider and have them check it out. Thanks to all for the help.

16. Piston Broke

Piston Broke Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Not really, Virgin UK speeds are about the same, upload speeds have always been pathetic from them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    How is your computer connected to the router? WiFi or cable?

18. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ethernet cable, think it is cat 5, maybe 60 foot long.

19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Cable should be OK, although 60 feet is quite long (about 18 meters!). The cable should be well shielded for this length. Maybe if you have the opportunity, you might want to swap it with a cable from a friend you can borrow it from for a test.

The thing is, what you describe is a ping issue. But you already said that you joined servers with less then 50 ms ping. So it should be OK, still it isn't. Ping can also be affected by the usage of available bandwidth. What I mean is, if the whole family and their dog are streaming Netflix in 4k or something at the same time you are trying to race, this could also have a negative effect.

Could also have been an unlucky temporary network hiccup. Have you tried it again since then and is it still the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Download speed is the one thing, pings another. 300 mb/s and 21 ping is solid. Your upload should be higher with this speed. These CAT-things are not realy standards. They are mostly suggestions. If you have a lot of power cables around your network cable I would recommend to buy a SFTP (shielded foiled twisted pair) cable. Its quite sturdy but resiliant. You could also try to ping and traceroute the raceroom server. With that you can see where the packets got slowed down. 180 ping on a MP server sounds quite heavy. On MechWarrior Online Servers for example a ping of 50-80 is considered very bad.