Caster / tyre pressure / FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tpw, Dec 21, 2015.

1. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure that many of you will agree that R3E cars are generally easy and fun to drive, due largely to very grippy and forgiving physics, and slightly spongy FFB. If I feel I'm being punished by rF2's brutal realism I like to drop into R3E to make myself feel like a competent driver!

I've done plenty of experiments to try to get R3E to emulate the detailed and informative feel of rF2's physics/FFB, and failed. However I can easily make rF2 feel like R3E simply by turning up the cars' caster as far as it will go, and lowering the tyre pressure as low as it'll go. Cars instantly feel much grippier, less understeery, there's plenty of weight throughout turns, and far less road feel.

I find it puzzling that caster and tyre pressure are absent from R3E car setups, and I wonder if it's because they've been tweaked to give R3E its distinctive and accessible driving feel?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i totally agree. although i dont get on with rf2 ffb, i find it goes to light in turns and doesnt feel right (on t300 gte) i have to then raise th caster in cars that allow me.

I RRE i still get the floaty feel in the m1 (new tyres apparently) , but the new audi does feel good. I just WISH they would get all the cars up to date, so i can decide if this is a sim i want to spend more time in rather than just one car?

3. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I raise the caster a bit on most cars in rF2 as well just to get a little more wheel weight into turns, but not to the numbing level of R3E. At least it's good to have caster as an option , because there are people that really get along with the low speed turn lightness vibe in cars such as the ISI F2.

4. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    low speed turn lightness vibe - this is my flaw in RF2 ffb.

but the only think like the f2 which badly needs it, there is no caster option. Sometimes the fact that i have to cheat the ffb in rf2, doesnt bode well in my eyes.

RRe i think their new ffb updates (min force/slip feedback) will sort some issues. But do i think theres more grip in rre than rf2? i dont think so not that much anyway. Maybe the cars your driving in rre, just have more grip generally? DTMS etc

But im not here to bitch about rf2, its is very good just not perfect imo.

5. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Let's not forget that Sector3 has involved real drivers to test the cars they actually drive in real life in order to provide feedback and guidance on how they should handle in-game. I'm not saying this is a rock-solid assurance of authenticity but these guys and girls are giving up their free time to advise.

That said, I certainly feel R3E needs to up it's game in terms of conveying the nuances of car handling through FFB in a more believable way. The FFB lacks finesse.

And yes, settings like caster and tyre pressure should be an essential part of any racing simulation. No excuse for not having them unless, as the OP says, they are locked to provide a certain feel to all cars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    If that could be done in a day they'd have done it already. They need to revisit every single car, make the changes, then balance the class again, then adjust the AI...
    It's a fair point, as most of the things you're asking for, but going on and on about the same things everytime you make a post won't speed this very time consuming process up.

7. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i know.. i know already.....

But i mean you have hundreds of racers here im sure willing to test ai etc... why dont they use our help, i know we cant do the code etc, but we sure can test them..

I wont repeat what me and others have said. but the old classes need to be updated more than seeing another new car class. I bet among the players we have 1000£/$ sitting on our hds not being raced due to inferior/unplayable physics.

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Agree. It's quite the task this small team has to tackle. They want those updates as badly as we want them, but it's not completely in S3S's hands what is done how and when. If there is a contract binding them to release the official DTM 2015 game at the end of the season then that's what they have to put all ressources into.
    The testing bit is the least of their worries, it's more the question of dev manpower. Having this few people involved with the physics/FFB/AI side is a curse and a blessing. It slows development down for sure, but on the other hand there's fewer cooks to spoil the broth.

Have you tried the free cars after the update? Aquila and Silhouette class have updated physics and tyres as well. So the old cars are getting updated, but it takes time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2