CHEVROLET CORVETTE GREENWOOD 1977 so hard to drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R.Noctua, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely love the Group 5, but there is one problem - it's the Corvette. I just can't drive it without crashing and it's the only car from this group that causes me a problem.

1. it doesn't brake.
    2. It doesn't turn on corner.
    3. It constantly slides.
    4. On a straight line with a gradient, it can take off.

Please give advice or your setup for this car. It looks fantastic and also sounds fantastic but I can't get it to go. The biggest problem is the slide. If you compare the Corvette and the DTM 2020(or other Group 5 cars), the DTM(or other Group 5 cars) is extremely easy to drive.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    That seems to be the way the car is for everyone. I have seen some players do a good hot lap but very very few are able to keep it on the track and go quickly for a whole race. It has so much straight line speed that if it had any type of lateral grip or braking, it would be much faster than the other cars in the class. You can try softening the rear and hardening the front more than already but I don´t find it changes much. Probably just being sensitive with acceleration, steering and braking and practice are the best options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I think there's no magic setup to really tame her. It's all in your right foot. But whenever I hear Greenwood Corvette, there's one name that comes to mind instantly @FeltHλt maybe he can give you some advice. I think he spent more hours driving the Corvette, than me playing the whole game :cool:

Oli

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I forgot the engine braking setting. You could also try decreasing that if you feel the car understeers too much on turn-in, or increase it if the back wants to come around, especially on down shifts. As it is only a 4 speed, the difference between ratios means that shifting from second to first is quite a jolt. Adusting final drive might help too. More to the right will give higher gears so less wheelspin but slower acceleration. IIRC it has fixed ratios so you can´t make them closer, only adust the final drive.

5. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips!
    I will try to follow them. And, yes, I guess I need more practice )

6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    American engineering at it's best, hardest car to drive in RR, serves no purpose other than making you believe you've forgotten how to drive, I think this one just sums up the old adage "American cars, great for straight roads".
    This is the only car I have ever driven that requires you to use the brake more than the throttle, death trap!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Your words made my day ))

This is a best descriptions that car.

8. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Just ask FeltHλt how he does to drive this beast, he is the best Greenwood driver in RaceRoom! :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Fixed.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    • Stay in high gears to keep the torque under control
    • Forget that 1st gear even exists
    • Full throttle is strictly for deployment only once the car is pointed straight
    • Tyres take a handful of laps to come in so the grip will (eventually) come to you as the laps progress
    • Increase the tyre pressures a little bit (5-10kpa) to give the tyres a touch more grip when cold. Not advisable for longer races though, as the tyres will eventually start to overheat after 5 or 6 laps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Also enjoy watching Jules Gounon fighting with the same features, even though this car has modern tyres and a much larger rear wing:

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So basically, drive it like you were driving a normal car on ice.

Monza, Paul Ricard (layout with as few chicanes as possible) and Daytona are good places to start. Moscow, Red Bull Rin, Portimao, Stowe, Nordschleife and pretty much every other track aare probably best avoided.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  13. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm i like default setup and with new physics and setup im not a fan of changing only rear or front arb, car feels unbalanced (so you either harden or soften both arbs). Hard arbs are great on tracks like nord or bathurst, but ultimately i recommend using default with small tweaks or softer, if possible (for example softer front springs for RA, since there are no sudden direction changes [eg chicanes]). My only universal setup change is lower diff preload, leave enough so car doesnt feel sluggish on exit and you dont have a problem initiating deeper slip angle on exit

1:15:30 timestamp- that power is worth every pain :D

(if you cant make a corner, but the car is constantly sliding, then consider sliding through corners :p)
    remember that track limits are just guidlines :p
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Had a sweaty session at Lakeview Hillclimb.:eek:
    Every bump can cause a loss, only 3rd and 4th gear.

• Like Like x 2
  15. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Amazing to think that John Greenwood & his crew used to race these beasts in 24 hour races!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    The car did not last 24 hours very often!

In 1977, it was 19th at the Daytona 24 hours (211 laps behing the winning Porsche Carrera 911 RSR) but it seems it was the only result in 24 hours races, as the car(s) retired in all other Daytona races from 1975 to 1978 and also at Le Mans in 1976.

At the Sebring 12 hours, the results were 29th in 1976 and 23rd in 1977.

Anyway, you are right in saying that it's amazing to think that John Greenwood and his team mates drove such a car, with its top speed record of 236 mph / 380 km/h at Daytona!

Have a look here.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  17. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Wow, nice link! Thanks for sharing @Beastux Never seen such a racing seat before. It really features an asymmetrical leg support and even a seat belt for the right leg :cool:

Oli

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Worth mentioning that Daytona was raced without the chicane on the back straight in that era:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. R.Noctua

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Guys, thank you all very much for the information!

I think it will be very useful for all who like Group 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a layout that RaceRoom could include at sometime. Should not be too much work to model. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1