Cockpit Steering Wheel Placement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M D Gourley, Oct 22, 2015.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    Did a search for this but no results found....loving R3E and the DTM 2015 is fantastic but the Steering Wheel position in the Audi and Merc seems to be to low when setting up a seating position...not sure if this is how it is in real life as the drivers would be sitting extremely low and just peering over the top of the dash board.
    I like to have the top of Dash Board about chin level....the BMW seems great with the same seating position, as I can see the upper half of the steering wheel. I know you can turn off the steering wheel and I probably have the wrong FOV...BUT this is the way I like it,...and it also makes for good You Tube videos when viewing in cockpit mode by seeing the hands on the steering wheel.
    I have noticed this in other Sims as well, the odd car or two will have the steering wheel to low as though it is sitting in your lap when driving or the wheel is low and partially obscuring the dashboard readouts....not sure if this can be fixed at the car modeling stage by grouping the steering wheel, buttons etc and moving it up on the Z axis.
    Just a polite question :)

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Racing car is about getting the lower and the more in the center you can (for better center of gravity)
    As you can see on this picture

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply...so you are just peering over the top of the dash board...lol

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget that the seat position in racing car might not fit your position while playing.

Think about single seater (Formula 1, etc ) in witch driver position is almost lay down. DTM is almost like that. The further the car is from a streetcar the more lay down you'll be in the driving seat.. The wheel is very close to the chest, and the central axe of it is at the shoulders level.
    So yes, the driver view is very narrow, and just enough over the dashboard to be able to see the track in front (there's no need to see right in front of the front bumper while racing, as you should look further away)

BUT : IRL driver position might not fit with a "in sim" situation. So we have to make compromises in that regard (until we have VR headset ;) ). It's not about the wheel placement in the cockpit, but about the view position that fit best for your experience, as the wheel is almost as IRL, there's no point a making it different to fit John or Dave preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    In a race car, most of the time that is the case. They want the driver as low as possible to lower the center of gravity and often this mean you just barely look over the dash (or nose in an open wheeler).

Here are some examples from real cars.

Tommy-Milner-C7.R-Helmet-Cam-720x340.jpg maxresdefault.jpg maxresdefault-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply...yes those photos do help as the steering wheel is clearly visible as well. Attached are the 2015 DTM screen shots and while the BMW cockpit steering wheel is good, the Merc and Audi are a bit low...only my nit picking opinion...LOL
    All in all R3E is my favorite go to Sim...keep up the fantastic work...roll on Nords and the V8 Supercars -Ford and Volvo..:)

Attached Files:

7. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    You may have heard it before, but you might experience a world of difference with a closer to real life FOV, and it would remedy/hide the issue you have with the steering wheel. But there's no law saying you have to, everyone can enjoy their sim how they want.

Here's how mine looks, for reference. It took me a week or two to get used to, but I love it now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Your video looks great Brandon...I have been Sim Racing for about 7 or so years now and have tried the FOV position such as your set up but keep coming back to the wider look with the steering wheel showing...might give it another shot.
    Thanks for you interest and information.

9. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Here's what I do in regard of the height. I use the free camera to have a lateral view and see the relative height of the virtual driver's eyes in comparison with dash, windshield and mainly the side mirror.

The virtual wheel is not useful cause it is not realistic in that view (some cars that shouldn't, have round wheels if you see them from outside).

10. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    No worries. I'm an advocator of "proper" FOV (having experienced the benefits) but also believe that everyone should play how they enjoy playing and the only correct way is the way you prefer. Race on!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I'm kind of having the same issues as you, Gourley. I like to adjust the seating position so high that I can see a little bit of the bonnet. Makes it easier to drive, for me at least, and feels more like a complete car.

But I'm also aware that this seating position is often too high when compared to what you can actually see from a real race car. Depends a bit on the cars. For some cars, like the old touring classics and DTM92, seeing the bonnet is probably "correct", but in newer cars this isn't possible. I adapt a seating position that is as high as possible but still feels natural. Too high and it just feels wrong. Some cars are easier to get a good position in than others, so I'm constantly adjusting a bit to find the sweet spot.

Further, when driving a simulator, you lose a lot of "feeling" with the car and surroundings that you get naturally when driving in real life, so I don't consider it cheating to adjust the seat to a position that wouldn't be possible in real life. It's simply a matter of making up for other stuff that the simulator can't provide. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this is generally what I like to achieve as well and agree with the rest of your comment.

Thanks Brandon for your comments much appreciated...after all.. 'Sim Racing is an Individual Pursuit'.

13. M D Gourley

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for showing interest Gerbuho...I will give that go...interesting