Question Collision Physics

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Racki, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Here are 3 outtakes from my todays races. What do you think about the collision dynamics?
    In my optinion they are very strange. These side to side kisses should be possible with the TT cars.
    The complete loss if traction is erratic and kinda frustrating.

But maybe I am to blame... lets see ;)

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i have this issue all the time said about it year ago... not much has changed since then. great sim just needs a few changes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sharp

Sharp Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Lol a micro touch and you instantly crash. That certainly needs adressing, especially when the sim wants to move in a forward position against all other sims. Because lets be real, thats hilarious..

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    That problems exists since there is AI in Raceroom. It was even worse in the Past but a fix reduced it a bit - but yeah, it still feels a strange... In Multiplayer-Races these kind of contacts are no problem at all...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Does this happen with all classes of cars for you?

I have spent a lot of time racing against the AI with the Legends Touring Classic, ADAC and WTCC cars and do lots of major door banging but I don't think I've ever had that sort of behaviour.

6. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    It is very extreme on modern DTM cars.
    Whereas wheelbanging on FR2 is even too tolerant I think.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I tried it the other way.
    I deliberately attempted to force back a Citroen from 2015 WTCC Pack, by pushing it's rear from the track.
    Like a slotcar it was waving it's rear, while front tires were glued on the track. I went off.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Collisions from the side are deadly, you lose the car immediately. A main priority, don't contact from the side while a battle. There are a lot of sadly experience.

One of them..

9. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Woah, I thought this is only AI issue, but by the amount of RUFs, I guess this is multiplayer race.

10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Three times magnetic contacts. We have a lucky winner it seems. ;)
    Sadly, these are still not reproducible consistently on every PC, on some it happens, on others it doesn't. But it is being investigated.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that was a multiplayer race. This happend too often and ruin your race. But there is no difference to AI. You restart and restart again until you survive the first lap by no hit from the side of AI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    There's also something special with RUFs, if you touch a wall (and maybe an opponent) with side of the car, you are like stuck and it's not easy to get out without to loose control.

13. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i would of thought its a bug with the software itself and not down to the individual computer mmmm just saying :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    And I'm just saying what we testers learned about the magnetic contact issue until now, and that is that they don't occur on all machines at all times. I'm not saying there is sth wrong with the PCs it happens on. Some people experience them rather often, others, like my lucky self, don't get them at all. I can rub shoulders and make close passes in the TT all day long and it just won't happen.

My personal theory is/was that it might be connected to the CPU load. So the problem occurs when the CPU performs @ max load but doesn't when you leave it some room to breath, so to speak. But there's some arguments against that theory and as of now at least I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce this issue, which would be crucial for fixing it.

If anybody who gets the magnetic contacts can provoke them with 100 % accuracy I'd be happy to know what they do so we can try and reproduce it.

15. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    With RUFs and walls, it's 100% for me (and only with RUFs), but I don't know if you're also talking about that issue (or only car VS car).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  16. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It happend to me each and every time I hit a wall with a low angle (almost with the side).
    For me it's as if the rear is much wider than the front and when it hit the wall before the front it force the car to rotate against the wall.

17. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I can get kicked off all the day and make videos of it.... if it helps ;)

My PC is a i7, Win10 x64, 980Ti.
    Nothing special and definitely not the slowest here. Im driving 1080p and have a second screen attached. 4k is no difference.

What do you suggest to come closer to the issue?

18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Are you referring to engine damage or magnetic contacts (like seen in the videos above, when cars appear to stick to each other for a brief moment)?
    See above. So far I hadn't heard of the magnetic contact in relation to wall contacts.
    Well, if your frustration tolerance level is >17... ;)
    Nah, no need to do vids, when it comes to car-car contacts I've seen more magnetic contact vids than I'd like to by now.

Well, my theory regarding the CPU load isn't really sound, as I already mentioned. But if you wanna give it a shot, try lowering the number of opponents to 3 or 4 and see if that changes things. Also (just for the sake of having tried, don't want to raise hopes I knew the actual cause) you could try disabling FFB and then doing what you do to reproduce it. It's the one thing that's definitely different on my system in comparison to the other testers, I have FFB completely turned off.

19. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Magnetic contacts between RUFs and walls. Good example is on Sonoma, when passing finish line you have to be close of right wall, and if you touch it you are stuck in it. You can get out of it but it's not easy and can end in lost of control (at least you'll loose more speed than necessary).

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  20. Racki

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    How did you guess that my AI frustration level is exactly there. ;)
    So thanks for the invitation and therefore I've got some DTM videos for you:
    Just take a look how unimpressed the AI is in these situations. Have the devs forgotten to implement conscience?

All of these were recorded on a single evening in march.

I'll give you an update when I've tested 4 AI and no FFB.

• Agree Agree x 5