Question Comments and Questions

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by GregoryLeo, Mar 25, 2015.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    So I've been playing this sim consistently and almost exclusively for a few weeks now. And I have to say the FFB and sound are awesome. That quite honestly is what has held my interest the most, especially the FFB.
    I'm running what I consider to be a bare bones system for this game. So I put the graphics on auto and let the game sort things out for me. Also awesome, I really like that as well. The graphics are smooth for the most part, and I've read some other threads Where mentioned people having similar video problems in pretty much the same places I am. So I figure work in progress.
    I'm also impressed with the Experiences, I get limited play time, so having championships set up for me is very much appreciated. I like being able to sit down and go straight into the racing and not have to spend time setting up a championship or deciding what track and car I want to play with today in single race mode.
    The multi-player is in alpha, and like most public servers has it's share of people who are, well, annoying on purpose. I know this is being dealt with already
    I really think this is a great game

Now for the questions:

I am some what confused with the adaptive AI. I always try to race clean but some times in the heat of the race I will come into a corner too hot and cause some mayhem. And it's almost like the AI's want revenge. Suddenly everybody is pushing me off the track and ramming me from behind. Or so it seems to me. Am I imagining this? (seriously, not joking.)

Right now I am about 3/4s of the way through the DTM 2013 championship. And It seems like the further I get into the game the more aggressive the AIs get. Another thing I'm experiencing is getting knocked of the track and then penalized for that. A perfect example is one time I was coming into the last chicanes on nurberge and got hit hard from the side knocking me off the left side of the track. So I held a straight line to avoid spinning out and just pulled onto the track at the other end of the chicane. Consequently I gained several positions without trying and got a drive through penalty. Taking me from 5th to last place. And suddenly I couldn't keep my car on the track. Corners I was taking in third gear couldn't be taken in 2nd gear. And eventually I found myself sitting in the pits scratching my head at the DQ or so I assume as the race was only halfover. I have mechanical damage switched off for now.

So with all the strangeness with the AIs, some times they are great other time, totally obnoxious. On some tracks everything is great. longer tracks seem to be better than shorter tracks. I had a blast on Red Bull, almost threw my laptop out the window on Norisring. Also the more cars on the track the the more problems I seem to have. I like to run 20 or so cars on the track. But I've been experimenting in single races. I think 11 or 12 cars on the track is my safe zone. More than that and things start to get sketchy and I have intermittent lag especially in tight corners. I know dual core GPU's are prone to stuttering. This is lag.
    Kind of wondering what your thoughts are on that.

So I'm wondering if it's my computer? There's not much I can do with my GPU It has a clock speed of 685MHz. A faster chip would cost almost half the price of my computer, and only gain about 150 more MHz's, not worth it to me. Currently I'm running 6 gigs of ram, and I am wondering if more ram would help. And if so, would 8 gigs be enough or would 12 be better?
    I'm really not into the multiplayer mode at this point in time. So the single player mode is where I spend most my gaming time. I've kind of reached my limit of frustration with the AI's and could really use some help in figuring this out. Quite honestly the last couple of days I've been playing GSC and the P&G mod in GTR2 because of it. I'm missing the FFB and sound:confounded: But quite honestly they seem to have better AI, or at least to me they do.

2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no the AI do not get revenge or come in too hot. they just don't break earlier if you are ahead of them and so cannot stop if you are going too slow. Solution don't use adaptive AI find the level that is right so that you can keep up with the AI or try to drive constantly instead of pulling off one crazy fast lap and then making a million mistakes trying too go even faster because the AI will not be nice and slow down if you make a mistake. try deleting the adaptiveai.xml file and the adaptive ai will be reset.

note that the devs have said that they will continue to improve the AI although IMO r3e has the best AI in the market

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

No, the AI don't harbor feelings of ill will towards others as a result of collisions (unfortunately, that'd be kind of great). It is as Shardshunt says above, that when collisions occur the AI are not always great at handling the ensuing chaos with grace, and a lot of pushing and shoving is likely to happen. Especially on the shorter tracks as everyone is more closely bunched together (Norisring not having any run-off areas also contributes to chaos on incidents)

However, we have a bit of an AI improvement in the works that, from what I've heard from those who have tested this, has greatly reduced the amount of race incidents caused by the AI.

As for the lag... Yes, having more AI on the field is definitely more demanding of your hardware, although I cannot say for sure whether it is the cause in your case (not a hardware guy). Looking at our recommended system requirements, there's only a minimum requirement for RAM which is 2 GB, which you pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Some tweaks might be good but.... please don't nerf them as in AC!! Please!! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    that would be nice, although, while testing the AI and forcing them off-track to see how they behave that could mean quite a lot of carnage! :eek::D

• Like Like x 1
  6. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the answers. I took Shardshunt's advise and switched to custom settings. I had a much better time with it although I was bummed to find 90% was my number:eek:
    I switched off all HD stuff and only had the dash board. So I can run 15 cars with no video problems. And had a great time racing on norisring:) and several other tracks during testing.
    But I would still like to have a clearer understanding on how the adaptive AI work. I'm fairly consistent in my lap times once I learn a track and tend to have little more than 1 second variations over all. In my own mind I was thinking that the adaptation would happen during practice and change to more compatible times in the race. But I saw during one of the load screens that "over the course of time they would adapt" to my speed and style of driving. That's kind of a generic statement. Any indication as to how long that is?
    My reason is this. As I progressed thru a championship series in other sims, I tended to get a better feel for the car I'm driving, and get better lap times than when I started. In GTR2 and GSC I would just go into the PLR file and increase the AI strength. to keep the racing tight. And I was hoping that I would have a similar experience in adaptive mode without having to do the changes myself.
    Anyway, I'm loving the game again:D and just hoping for some minor improvements,
    thanks for the help guys.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I still think in general the AI is great. Obviously still needs to improve.

Agree with Emilio.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Depends really. I think the best estimate was something like... 3 sessions on the same track will make them be fairly accurate.

9. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Just to clarify what session means:
    3 sessions in total (Practice + Quali + Race) = 1 Single Race
    or 3 sessions of whaterver (3 Practice or 3 Quali or 3 Races)
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    3 Races (as race pace will be different from the pace in P and Q)

11. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    For most series I sit between 105 and 110% difficulty to make it a tough race, but with GTR2 I am 3secs off the pace at 105% on an 80sec lap...to get close I have to drop it to 90ish... I'll test this a little more and feedback. Anyone else experiencing this?

12. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    ill give them a spin but fast ai is good ai i want to be running ai at less than 100 because they don't have to start breaking physics

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I was running the Ruf btw. Cheers

14. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no gtr2 seem good to me i can keep up at 103 which is my norm
    tested at mazda laguna seca in the bmw
    dont have the ruf sorry

15. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I like that I'm at different levels for most classes, it's realistic, but if I can't keep up in the Ruf I either need some practice or i need to drive the beemer.. Cheers for taking a look..

16. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I popped home to test... All is fine in the new released version...

• Agree Agree x 1